-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
after looking at mine, it does appear that it the rear ring is too far back, the bolt handle will not go far enough forward to allow the bolt to rotate closed. See if bolt handle is hitting right rear portion of rear scope ring.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Elk,

Correct. NOT the chamber.

I've worked on 4 different Tikkas now that had the wrong screws in the front base. It's a common problem when not paying close attention. Said screw protrudes just enough to sometimes keep the bolt from closing enough to fire. I've had two out of four actually fire with the condition, depending on ammo, screw and the bolt lug engagement.

Yeah that makes sense, I just have never had that happen, usually I can't close the bolt the first time with a screw in the way.

Some folks grab hammers right off the bat... Grin.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is the bolt shroud the original plastic or aftermarket metal?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw it when we were monkeying with the Talleys.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 348srfun
after looking at mine, it does appear that it the rear ring is too far back, the bolt handle will not go far enough forward to allow the bolt to rotate closed. See if bolt handle is hitting right rear portion of rear scope ring.

Now this is the type of "forehead slapper" I am hoping for and will check when I get home tonight. Someone earlier in this thread made the mention of why was I able to then chamber and fire the first round. Remember, after I fired the first round I noticed that my rings/bases were both loose and tightened them appropriately after the first round was fired. Don't ask me why that wasn't done when I mounted it last week. I must have got called away in the midst of mounting the scope.

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Is the bolt shroud the original plastic or aftermarket metal?

Original plastic.

Originally Posted by 16bore

16bore, these don't screw top down as they are the Sako/Tikka rings made to be attached to the rail via the side compression plate and screw.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 08/21/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Originally Posted by 16bore

16bore, these don't screw top down as they are the Sako/Tikka rings made to be attached to the rail via the side compression plate and screw.

So you are using the factory rings. Kills my theory...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had the same problem with the bolt closing. Took it to a gunsmith and he backed off the action screw. Problem solved.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If the rings are the problem just order you a set of Talley tonight

Tater
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by camdog
I had the same problem with the bolt closing. Took it to a gunsmith and he backed off the action screw. Problem solved.

A possibility, but if it needed loosened to clear, i would shorten and re-tighten.
Unless it was farmer-tight to begin with.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sharpie will tell the story.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.
Originally Posted by 348srfun

I was hoping for a forehead slapper and I got one. Jeez, I don't usually get so lucky. It was just enough too far back that I couldn't even notice when I was looking it over. The loose base screws should have been my first clue when it did happen. That was the one and only thing that changed between round one and no further rounds. I must have been distracted by my anger the moron at the range who flipped the siren/flashing light switch after I fired one round. Thanks all for the suggestions. Man, the moron who mounted this scope has mounted literally thousands over the years, even several dozen Tikkas, and never done this. I know, because I'm that moron. Picture below. Thanks again all. Hopefully this will save someone aggravation in the future.
[Linked Image]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good deal. Glad it was something easy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, a lesson learned for all of us. Good to see you figured it out and it was an easy fix.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must have been distracted by my anger the moron at the range who flipped the siren/flashing light switch after I fired one round.

Hey, I was in a hurry and could tell you wouldn't be shooting for a while...

In all seriousness, it's getting to be that time of year when the range officer is welcomed to keep dumbasses from doing that. Glad you got it figured out.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Glad you figured it out

Tater
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I must have been distracted by my anger the moron at the range who flipped the siren/flashing light switch after I fired one round.

Hey, I was in a hurry and could tell you wouldn't be shooting for a while...

In all seriousness, it's getting to be that time of year when the range officer is welcomed to keep dumbasses from doing that. Glad you got it figured out.

Yep, as I've told you before Dale, about the first of September is time to start avoiding our range.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad it was a simple fix. Had a similar senior moment recently when mounting a scope. Snugged everything and the power ring wouldn't turn. Yep, it was on top of the rail just barely so that the Weaver style rings would clasp the rail but the power ring was not clear. smirk

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Setterman
I had a similar prob. Sure as hell one of the scope base screws protruded very slightly into the chamber.

Before you panic, remove the bases and check the bolt for function.

Bob

My thoughts also.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Yes, a lesson learned for all of us. Good to see you figured it out and it was an easy fix.

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.