Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeoW
The great majority of Southerners owned no slave. States Rights being the major reason but to be sure Mr Stevens was a slave owner and more than likely it was a reason (states having a right to make their own decision) for him to support slavery or the right for his state to make the determination.

Clear as mud, ain't it? 😎

The primary "states right" at issue was the right of states to allow the ownership of slaves.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I like your post because you link it to facts and reference material so people can check it on their own. Often times people on this forum, and others just give opnions with out facts and reference material to back it up.

If it was 1840 in Columbia South Carolina I could go to the local slave auction, buy ten men, have them kneel in the street. I could then shoot each one in the back of the head, my only crime would be disturbing the peace (if that would be illegal in 1840 please site the legal statutes). Slavery had to die if the US were to be an example of liberty to the rest of the world.

Last edited by nealglen37; 08/21/17.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting discussion, but in the big picture, currently, this is just a distraction. My GG grandfather was a plantation/slave owner in GA, but at this time, IDGAF what the Civil War was about. The big picture here is the ultimate goal of current PiecesOS to ultimately destroy our Constitution and our Country; "slavery claim" is just a foothold that logically connects next to our Founding Fathers...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
[quote=JoeBob]Are you [bleep] retarded? They elected representatives to the secession convention AFTER seven states had already gone out. The candidates ran on the basis of being in favor or not in favor of secession. Those not in favor of secession won a clear majority DESPITE three counties having no candidates who were against. Yet after and ONLY after Lincoln's call for troops, all of those representatives previously against secession changed their positions. And the Ordinance of Secession made not one single reference to slavery. It only referenced the US government making war in the states.

Slavery was not enough for my state. It took an illegal call for troops to make it go out.

So your reason to believe your state fought for states rights rather than slavery is because Democrat politicians who were elected by the people to vote for no secession, didn't betray the voters and vote for secession until the shooting started?

Too funny... You probably believe the purpose of AntiFa is to fight fascists, don't you?

β€œThe Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
[quote=JoeBob]Are you [bleep] retarded? They elected representatives to the secession convention AFTER seven states had already gone out. The candidates ran on the basis of being in favor or not in favor of secession. Those not in favor of secession won a clear majority DESPITE three counties having no candidates who were against. Yet after and ONLY after Lincoln's call for troops, all of those representatives previously against secession changed their positions. And the Ordinance of Secession made not one single reference to slavery. It only referenced the US government making war in the states.

Slavery was not enough for my state. It took an illegal call for troops to make it go out.

So your reason to believe your state fought for states rights rather than slavery is because Democrat politicians who were elected by the people to vote for no secession, didn't betray the voters and vote for secession until the shooting started?

Too funny... You probably believe the purpose of AntiFa is to fight fascists, don't you?

Yes, it is a historical fact that they didn't secede until after the shooting started. And no, they didn't betray their voters as that making war upon the states for merely exercising their right to leave a voluntary union of states was seen as a monstrous crime at the time, you fricking retard.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So most everybody here believes every word of a speech, by a politician? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Toward the end of the war this is how hypocritical the confederacy became. It asked blacks to fight and die for them, but still didn't make them free.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/confederacy-approves-black-soldiers

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I wish that all you posters on here who love to get on the South for wanting to keep their slaves would come down here and get the Negroes and take them all back with you, and that way maybe y'all would finally be happy.

Your kin had them brought here, so you are now responsible for them. Get to work.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, it is a historical fact that they didn't secede until after the shooting started. And no, they didn't betray their voters as that making war upon the states for merely exercising their right to leave a voluntary union of states was seen as a monstrous crime at the time, you fricking retard.

So there was another vote where delegates who were for secession were voted in?

You keep talking about the people of your state being for states rights, but the only proof you give is the people of your state voting against secession and the politicians taking you into the Confederacy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

So there was another vote where delegates who were for secession were voted in?

You keep talking about the people of your state being for states rights, but the only proof you give is the people of your state voting against secession and the politicians taking you into the Confederacy.

If they hadn't voted for it after Lincoln decided to make war, they would have been lynched. But by all means, you fricking disgusting retarded Yankee, tell us what people who lived 150 years ago REALLY meant and REALLY felt.

You fricking Yankees never change. YOU know best for everyone and everything.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they hadn't voted for it after Lincoln decided to make war, they would have been lynched. But by all means, you fricking disgusting retarded Yankee, tell us what people who lived 150 years ago REALLY meant and REALLY felt.

You are way too emotionally involved for something that happened 150 years ago, especially to a state you're too ashamed of to even put in your profile.

Chill, relax. Your ancestors weren't the only ones to be manipulated by the Democrat machine.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You are way too emotionally involved for something that happened 150 years ago, especially to a state you're too ashamed of to even put in your profile.

Chill, relax. Your ancestors weren't the only ones to be manipulated by the Democrat machine.

Frick you. That damned Yankee attitude is exactly why the war happened and exactly why we would all be better off without your sorry asses. As for being ashamed of my state, not at [bleep] all. Study your history, retard, there were only four states that went out after Fort Sumter. It should be pretty damned easy to figure out.

Oh, I forgot, you Yankees are all seeing and all knowing.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
http://www.historynet.com/causes-of-the-civil-war
this is a pretty good read, especially the piece at the bottom, the featured article I believe. Plenty of blame to go around and it is some what scary that it so closely mirrors what we are seeing happen today.

Last edited by bryguy; 08/22/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Slavery was the catalyst for but not the cause of the Civil War. The cause was sectionalism and ethnic divisions. The basic ethnic groups fought two civil wars in England before the one in America. And New England was the first section of the country to hold a convention for the purpose of secession and to almost do it during the War of 1812.

The New England representative from the secession convention was in Washington with a list of impossible demands waiting on an audience with the president when word of the Treaty of Ghent arrived signaling a successful end to the War of 1812. He slunk back home to New England. A mere five years later New England began the process of using slavery as a tool to beat the South into submission in order to gain control of the national government with the Missouri Compromise.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Frick you. That damned Yankee attitude is exactly why the war happened and exactly why we would all be better off without your sorry asses. As for being ashamed of my state, not at [bleep] all. Study your history, retard, there were only four states that went out after Fort Sumter. It should be pretty damned easy to figure out.

You call me a Yankee, but practically all of my ancestors came over after that entire stupid mess that had been simmering for 90 years and was inevitable was over. And besides that, nobody calls Nebraskans Yankees... we weren't even a state until the war was over.

I'm about as disinterested of a 3rd party as you'll ever find. What is obvious is that every hard core slave state was looking at financial devastation and political mayhem if slavery was abolished and the slaves freed by a Republican Congress - and the politicians and the rich (practically all of which were Democrats) were going to try to prevent that. The Democrats also controlled almost all of the local media - and there was no nation-wide media.

Unfortunately they believed their own ridiculous propaganda and believed that firing on Union troops and ships would make the "Yankees" run in terror and capitulate, rather than come back down and kick their stupid butts.

And it went from there. And there are millions of southerners still believing the Democrat propaganda put out 150 years ago. You aren't alone.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You call me a Yankee, but practically all of my ancestors came over after that entire stupid mess that had been simmering for 90 years and was inevitable was over. And besides that, nobody calls Nebraskans Yankees... we weren't even a state until the war was over.

I'm about as disinterested of a 3rd party as you'll ever find. What is obvious is that every hard core slave state was looking at financial devastation and political mayhem if slavery was abolished and the slaves freed by a Republican Congress - and the politicians and the rich (practically all of which were Democrats) were going to try to prevent that. The Democrats also controlled almost all of the local media - and there was no nation-wide media.

Unfortunately they believed their own ridiculous propaganda and believed that firing on Union troops and ships would make the "Yankees" run in terror and capitulate, rather than come back down and kick their stupid butts.

And it went from there. And there are millions of southerners still believing the Democrat propaganda put out 150 years ago. You aren't alone.

Actually, by immigration patterns Nebraska and Iowa are the heart of Yankeeland today. Those states were settled predominantly by people from the Old Yankee Midwest who came mostly from New England. You can see it quite clearly in the way certain people think.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If any care to be enlightened, read this paper from Upenn on Yankee cultural imperialism. Look at the immigration patterns and look at the descriptions of Yankees in the 19th Century. You will see that the culture of the Yankee is that if the modern liberal. You will see that the descent from Yankees to liberals is direct as the regions of the country and their modern voting patterns show it. You will see that the struggle for the leadership and direction of the country began from the very start. And you will that the Yankee problem is an ongoing one. And you'll see that regardless of slavery and that with or without it that two peoples who had such hateful words for each other and such clear disdain for each other were bound to fight.

And finally, you'll see that nothing has changed. The groups are the same today and we are bound for a fight again. Modern immigration patterns has made the boundaries less sectional than they were before, but the descriptions of Yankees back then applies exactly to modern progressives.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phonoatlas/PLC3/Ch10.pdf

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, by immigration patterns Nebraska and Iowa are the heart of Yankeeland today. Those states were settled predominantly by people from the Old Yankee Midwest who came mostly from New England. You can see it quite clearly in the way certain people think.

You are possibly correct in regards to Omaha, though it's really a cross between your average liberal New England state and your average screwed up Democrat city in the South.

The 99% of the rest of the state doesn't think or act anything like anybody east of the Missouri. And most of it was settled by overseas immigrants. You should quit making presumptions like your average Yankee politician in regards to the flyover states and actually come through sometime.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Without the back biting...

In reading a little on the subject here being discussed...

I thought it was kinda interesting and you NEVER hear about this one...

But the place that southern cotton was sold to market was in NYC...

At the time of the Civil War, and Ft Sumpter... I found something that was about NYC.

Cotton was such an important commodity for the City, the Mayor actually petitioned the State
of New York to Secede from both the State of NY and the Union.... setting itself up as an independent
neutral city...

Lets also not forget about the riots and insurrection among the Irish when the Union started
drafting people to serve in the Union Army...

another thing I was reading, in the 1700s, After Charleston SC, who was tied into the West Indies
slave trade....and also had the largest slave population in the Nation...

the place that was Number 2, WAS NYC....which made NY State the second largest slave holding
state at the time.

I guess that is another thing that seems to escape revisionist history, and today's modern BLM
and Antifa wanting to destroy any representation of history of what really happened...

guess one can overlook owning slaves if it was North of the Mason Dixon...

and lets not also forget Maryland was a slave holding southern state as well...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by bryguy
http://www.historynet.com/causes-of-the-civil-war
this is a pretty good read, especially the piece at the bottom, the featured article I believe. Plenty of blame to go around and it is some what scary that it so closely mirrors what we are seeing happen today.

Oh, that won't work. Plenty of blame to go around is not acceptable. It's always just one parties fault: the other one. And they taught the blacks that too, and now see what we have: a bunch of white johnny reb wannabes and a bunch of black lazy ass idiots who just want to blame me for something that happened 150 years ago that I had no part in and neither did they, but they want to act like they did. Hard to decide who's worse. Peas in a pod.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,258 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.