Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
At 16 I killed a jackrabbit at ~150 yards with an Ithaca 22 lever action, open sights. It was below me, held on top of the ears, no wind as I recall. Good eyes then.

Same. Only a with a Ruger 10/22 straight out in a field. Smacked it right between the eyes.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In junior high and high school, I competed every summer in the NRA YHEC competition against kids from all over the country. I won the .22 rifle competition 3 times with a perfect score of 300.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
dave284, one of the john amos ponds?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I won the NRA State junior small bore prone championship about 1985.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guessing the sale of a rifle that cost around $125 when purchased for $800.

Otherwise, a few long shots that are nothing special in comparison with other stories here, but I've done some stunt shooting with CB Shorts.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ballyhoo
dave284, one of the john amos ponds?

Yep. Right as you start up Bills Creek.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The first time a buddy of mine and I went prairie dog shooting, I'd been bragging about well the brand-new (back then) .16 Hornady Rimfire Magnum worked. He was intrigued, so I allowed him first shot, since he'd come up with the spot.

Instead of shooting at one of the closer dogs, at around 100-175 yards, he aimed at one on the far side of the field. When he pulled the trigger to dog flopped down, because it had been head-shot at 303 laser-ranged yards. i

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the .16 is a rare one......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Most impressive thing I seen done with a 22 long rifle was we were out fishing in the river and across the River on the other bank was a muskrat swimming around in the water, my buddy took my 22, aimed and hit and killed the Muskrat out of a boat on the first shot, the range was 309 yards. Then I had to hear about it the rest of the morning

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
From the late 40's to early 70's, my grandfather ran one of the largest plantation along the coast Of SC.
Every year, there was a annual deer hunt, cookout, for a bunch of bigwigs. State Senators, Judges, folks from entertainment industry, etc.
We had a particular field that always filled up with deer, and several of those guys were stationed around the field.
A large buck ran out, and stopped in the very middle of the field. It was so far from everyone, on one would even attempt a shot. I was in a old Jeep with my granddad. He pulled out his Browning semi-auto .22 rifle. He was gonna try to spook the deer towards one of the standers. I didn't know how far it was, but after visiting that field years later, I'd guess the deer was about 225 yrds away.
So my granddad lowered the windshield, and took aim way above the deer, and fired. The deer stood up on it's hind legs, rolled over, hit the ground dead as a hammer. He hit it right between it's eye and ear. Folks still talk about it round that area till this day.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
When I was 5 or 6 years old I was riding with my Grandad in his scout. I was sitting in the back. He stopped and asked me " Podna, You ever had a hawk's foot." I said no. He reached into the glove box and pulled out a 22 pistol. He leaned out the window and aimed at a hawk circling above the tree tops. He shot and the hawk dropped stone dead in the back of the scout right at my feet. He holstered the pistol, stuck it back in the glove box and drove off like it was no big deal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Years ago I carried a pump 22 in my 65 Chevy...had a little bracket bolted to the dash... One day I jumped a coyote out of a fenc line going in to check traps...time I got out to shoot he was 100 yes away...ruin gat a angle away from the truck through a plowed field...I started shooting giving a tad more elevation and lead each shot...I could see the dust from my shots and gauged off that ...I connected on about the 6-7 that..he rolled in a pile of dust and hopped up and kept going....must have clipped a front leg.....he was around 250-300 yd out....had a witness too....we still chuckle about that

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot a Ruffled Grouse out of the air with a Winchester model 77 22 semi auto when I was 10.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have a monthly 22 Marksmen Challenge match and 1-2x per year one of the courses of fire is to try and shoot the 5 match stick, 1 toothpick and a playing card, in 1/2, with 10 rds or less, at 30 yds under a time limit. Nothing can be left hanging; no "red" left on the match sticks, no upper portion of the toothpick and the card cannot be left hanging, but rather, totally off. The lower 1/2 of the toothpick is in front of the upper 1/2 of the card i'm holding.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went through a box of 50 shells with my dad's 9 shot revolver when I was 16 without ear muffs. Have heard high pitched whine for the last 23 years.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wasn't me, but a bunch of us were shooting clay pigeons thrown with a hand trap. I had my new Winchester 101 that was giving me misfires occasionally before I got it fixed. I said who wants to back me up? Thinking that one of the other guys with the shotguns would volunteer, but instead my friend Bob said that he would and he sat down next to me with a .22 pistol. Well, that 101 went "click" rather than bang and then I heard that little .22 handgun go off beside me. He cracked that clay pigeon in the air out about 40 yards with a single shot!!! He holstered the handgun and walked calmly toward the cabin with I'm sure a big smirk on his face while the rest of us stood there incredulous.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
my p. dog hunting partner and I wanted to catch a calm day in N. Woyoming hill country and rimfire p. dogs. We had Ruger 22 Mags with 6.5x20x leupolds with target knobs on them. We had the dials marked up to 200 yards.

Well, we caught a calm day. We simply wore the dogs out, killed everything that was out. At 250 yards, it looked as if it had rained dead p. dogs.

Our rifles shot about an inch group at 100 yards, and we were using Winchester 40g HP. We had to stop many times and cool our barrels with a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water, this was a day we never forgot in that we killed over 500 before the wind kicked up that morning.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Head shot on a squirrel from far enough away that I aimed dead on with the wide part of the duplex on a Burris 4x12 scope on 12x. The rifle was zeroed at 50 yards. 83 yard offhand shot at a squirrel with my Marlin 60 with Federal Lightning ammo. Squirrel folded at the shot, but I couldn't find the hole until I looked at his ears and noted it went in one ear and out the other.

Old70

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've killed coyotes with a 22LR, 22Mag, and a 17HMR, and even once shot a buzzard that was flying over me with a 22. But, my best rimfire shot was when I killed a running squirrel at about 75 yards with my dad's S&W K-22 Masterpiece. That pistol was as accurate as a rifle, and I killed several squirrels with it, but the one that was running was probably my best shot.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My dad has killed an eastern wild turkey with a headshot from his Kimber of Oregon 22lr more than once while out squirrel hunting. Those birds' heads do not stay still long!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,848
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.