Page 42 of 63 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 62 63
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

10. KineticPerformance: 1.064 MOA
Not sure on set-up, due to lost pictures...

Great shooting guys!!!!!!! Awesome thread!!! I guess certifiable was right: There are 3 stag's in the top 10, a lot of SWFA SS's as well.....

It was a Barnes Precision LR - 10 .308 Win with ACS-L stock not PRS stock and I had Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm scope on it. I need to resort this because I've gotta much better load now.

Thanks buddy, I didn't know if that was the one or not. I remember you shot it very well. I'll try to edit my earlier post...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
ARIC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bsa.. this is without a doubt one of the better threads in terms of real world put up or shut up..the two groups I submitted were the first and second time that 6 had ever been shot. Fiddy and m1919 are my brothers and while '19 shot his with A rock river he also has a 6 that would place in the top 10. He hasn't bested the RR group but suffice to say it would be 4 stags up there..

I agree buddy. I just bought a new cobbled together AR today. Looking pretty dang promising. Not submitting this because it was too windy today. I believe the rifle will shoot much better than this on a calm day. I may shoot it again tomorrow morning and see how she does.....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not bad. But windy at 100 generally doesn't give vertical spread. May need to tweak the load more.

But thats representative of the ability of most ARs these days, around MOA. Which is another reason to really like the things.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks rost. The wind affects my shooting because it moves me around, not necessarily the bullet (at 100 yards). It also rocks the target stand a bit. I'm thinking about going out here in a bit, after I prep some of that brass I shot yesterday..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking rifle, good groups for a 1st go-round too. The other powders you may eventually want to take a look at too, are 8208-XBR & Alliant MR-2000.

What model Burris scope is that?

MM

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks MontanaMan. I appreciate that. I will keep a look out for that powder because it's getting harder than hell to find AR Comp now!!!!!! That's the reason I was at the gunshops looking around last weekend when I ran across this rifle. I had to think about it for almost a week before I bought it too. The burris scope is the same type I use on my Noveske rifle. It is an AR 5.56 scope. It seems to hold zero pretty good. I haven't really tested it past 100 yards though, so don't know how well it's really going to track. The elevation turret is set-up like a Leupold CDS and also comes with a coupon for a free dial. I've always liked Burris scopes, so I bought 2 at a time, since the price was decent. Glass seems to be pretty good too. I just got back from the range about an hour ago and the rifle is a shooter. I practiced some positional shooting with it as well. Basically the Carl Ross postal match and scored 18 out of 20... It was windy off and on, but not as bad as yesterday. I'd like to do what rost suggested earlier and work on some loads for this rifle and wring it out. However, it looks like a slightly sub moa (10 shot group) shooter to me...:

Entry for my new rifle:

Spikes tactical Spider lower
Northtech Defense Tactical upper with titanium forward assist
PRS stock
RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger
Spikes tactical ST-2 buffer
Noveske 16.7 NSR
Magpul k2+ grip
Burris P.E.P.R mount with Burris AR 5.56 4.5-14x42 scope

Load:
22.5gr. (group on left) and 23gr. (group on right) : Shot for comparison
BR4 primed FC brass
2.255" OAL
69gr. Sierra matchking BTSP

10 shot groups, shot at 100 yards off sand bags, as per rules:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks rost. The wind affects my shooting because it moves me around, not necessarily the bullet (at 100 yards). It also rocks the target stand a bit. I'm thinking about going out here in a bit, after I prep some of that brass I shot yesterday..

Don't think the bullet doesn't move at 100 enough to mess up some really snug groups... but if its moving you and the target, that never helps. My targets can move a bit too, but I do have them in channel iron on top of 2 7/8 tubing. And 2x4 frames so it takes a bit to just flop around.

And I am helping keep my property fence line grown up to block the southish wind best I can. That always helps me some. Just put in an electric fence to let the brush grow hopefully to 50 feet wide along that fence, will leave it for 10 years or so and then let it open for the cows again. By then it should be nicely grown up.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS one thing I'd be tempted to mess with since its already MOA and just under, is a primer test on your best charge weight so far...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It never hurts to try different primers, but he's already using BR4's which are usually pretty hard to beat.

But for sure, Rem 7 1/2's at least, are worth a test.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not familiar with that powder. But BR4s were only the best in one powder in 223 for us, that was Varget.

So anytime things are showing promise and you've run a ladder, the next thing I do is take the best group and run all small rifle primers in it... believe it or not, Rem SR non match 6.5s were the best in one barrel and load once way long ago.....

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good advice rost. Thanks..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Primers are easy to test. May or may not show any change. I've seen them double group size, cut it in half, all appx of course and in varying degrees, and not do a dang thing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright. My challenge is to beat my Stag score!!!! I want to do it with my low dollar mut rifle.... Had to try the new Right to Bear Arms nickel boron BCG today as well. Checked headspace before going out and it was good to go, so I threw the rifle in the truck and headed to the range. Todays results. I didn't feel too much like shooting today, but here goes:

Rifle:

Spikes Tactical lower
Northtech Defense upper
20" stainless fluted Windham Weaponry barrel
RTBA NIB (Nickel Boron) BCG
RRA 2 stage varmint/match trigger
16.7 Noveske NSR
Magpul Gen III PRS stock
Magpul K2+ Grip
Spikes ST2 buffer
Rifle length gas system
Burris P.E.P.R mount and Burris 4.5-14x42 AR 556 scope (It may deserve a Nightforce before too long)

This rifle is still shooting like a dream. Going to be one of my favorites, I can tell. Noveske may sit at home and collect dust... grin
[Linked Image]

The range today:
[Linked Image]

Target:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Didn't quite beat my Stag today, but came pretty dang close....

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Got a Larue Stealth Barrel I've been playing with- first couple of groups.

Rifle:

Colt M4A1 Block II
Larue 14.5" Stealth barrel w/Surefire Brake
DD RIS II
Geissele Trigger
NF 3.5-15x50mm F1

77gr SMK, Bipod and sandbag=. 1.43 and 1.21 MOA. Combined 1.32 MOA
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1.43 MOA
[Linked Image]

1.21 MOA
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You guys have all the fun heating barrels on those AR's, I'm sitting here waiting for 30 lbs of lead to heat up for casting some 750 grain grease groove 50-90 Sharps rifle bullets. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
You guys have all the fun heating barrels on those AR's, I'm sitting here waiting for 30 lbs of lead to heat up for casting some 750 grain grease groove 50-90 Sharps rifle bullets. smile

Too bad Woodrow isn't closer. You guys could tell each other a few good stories, waiting for that lead to get hot. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Got a Larue Stealth Barrel I've been playing with- first couple of groups.

Rifle:

Colt M4A1 Block II
Larue 14.5" Stealth barrel w/Surefire Brake
DD RIS II
Geissele Trigger
NF 3.5-15x50mm F1

77gr SMK, Bipod and sandbag=. 1.43 and 1.21 MOA. Combined 1.32 MOA
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1.43 MOA
[Linked Image]

1.21 MOA
[Linked Image]

2nd group looks better than it scores, but good shooting, nonetheless.

What app/software are you using for the measurements & data calcs?

MM

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

2nd group looks better than it scores, but good shooting, nonetheless.

What app/software are you using for the measurements & data calcs?

MM

The whole thing, all 20 shots, probably took all of 60 seconds to shoot. I was just verifying that the barrel would group.

Used Ballistic AE for the measurements.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I was afraid that's what it was...........that's an IPhone only app. I have an Android.

Have to buy an IPad I guess,

MM

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by gunner500

Too bad Woodrow isn't closer. You guys could tell each other a few good stories, waiting for that lead to get hot. grin

laugh

Trump Won!
Page 42 of 63 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.