Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Snowflake military?

Better off without them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only as a last resort.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[bleep] no ... volunteer army at least they know what they got themselves into. Conscript is not the way to go.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A draft might have a few good results. Letters from draftees to their Senators/Congressman might break up some of the fiefdoms that have developed in the military.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Snowflake military?

Better off without them.

You can be sure that the snowflake mentality we presently see would be lessened by the cloud of duty looming in front of many of them. That said, we're better off without.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
jerrys Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I guess my point was, Once they went thru boot camp and served, they would no longer be snowflakes. They might grow up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jerrys
I guess my point was, Once they went thru boot camp and served, they would no longer be snowflakes. They might grow up.

Not the Boot Camp we are running nowadays, not even in Parris Island. Incidentally, the "Greatest Generation's" war was fought with mostly a conscript armed force (about 66%). In turn Vietnam had only about 25% draftees.....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

They might grow the fug up if the government quit giving them all the money for college, quit subsidizing their schools, and started enforcing the law when they break it, and they knew they weren't gonna move into mom and dad's basement after 8 years of college with a doctorate in Snowflakeism.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The idea that the Armed Forces should be some sort of Reform School went out a long long time ago. We don't want and cant use anyone who does not want to be there and who does not meet the very strict standards for enlistment. These people simply drag others down with them and gum up the works, being vastly more trouble than they are worth. I served under both the draft era and the all-volunteer force and I can tell you from personal experience the difference in the quality of the force is the difference of night and day . Today, only about 30% of persons aged 17-27 can meet the qualifications needed to enlist , if we start dragging in the other dregs we will have nothing but trouble.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Hell no !...end of my discussion.

Ditto. I don't know a single person still in uniform that proposes to bring back the draft. No exceptions.

While 95% of the people that serve with me are extraordinary, that other 5% are difficult to motivate even to do what they voluntarily swore to do.

No thank you.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/21/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
jerrys Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the input. Guess it was a bad idea. I know the military helped me. Jerry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The snowflakes would have to toughen up to pass the test we currently have.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I think that the idea would be bad for all involved.

Those who sign up for the military, whether they need to shape up or not, do so of their own free will and the benefits are different when you want to be then when you don't... just like college...

Also, it'd turn the military into another leftist social experiment. The public schools have already been co-opted; how long would it take for Leftists to recognize forced military service as an opportunity to indoctrinate beyond high school years?

The reason the greatest generations' war had so many more volunteers was likely effected by the consensus in the country that we faced an existential threat. A big difference between WWII & Vietnam, where we never even could manage a formal declaration of war.

To me the fundamental question has to be "does the state own us?". If so the great American experiment has failed; if not then where does gov't get the authority?

Scary stuff to me; particularly when Conservatives start entertaining it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It may be the only way to reverse this indignant/communist momentum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A professional military is the best. You don't want screw ups fouling things up.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It would put skin in the game. It would make Americans have an American identity again.

It would need to be mandatory for all 18-20 year olds, not simply a lottery draft, like they do in Israel.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I do not think it should have stopped back when. But to start a draft now? I can't see it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.