24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 year of collage for 4 years of service. Service comes before the collage unless the military has enough interest in the education.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Hell no !...end of my discussion.

Ditto. I don't know a single person still in uniform that proposes to bring back the draft. No exceptions.

While 95% of the people that serve with me are extraordinary, that other 5% are difficult to motivate even to do what they voluntarily swore to do.

No thank you.

You know one now, even though I retired in 08. In my view a Draft does several good things. It relieves the constant high pressure business of recruiting and believe me it is tough, provides the services with a ready use manpower pool in the less sophisticated MOS, then after their tour is up they can decide whether to stay and make a career out of it. We certainly should have started one after 9/11.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Hell no !...end of my discussion.

Ditto. I don't know a single person still in uniform that proposes to bring back the draft. No exceptions.

While 95% of the people that serve with me are extraordinary, that other 5% are difficult to motivate even to do what they voluntarily swore to do.

No thank you.

You know one now, even though I retired in 08. In my view a Draft does several good things. It relieves the constant high pressure business of recruiting and believe me it is tough, provides the services with a ready use manpower pool in the less sophisticated MOS, then after their tour is up they can decide whether to stay and make a career out of it. We certainly should have started one after 9/11.

if there's a problem or constraint on volunteerism, recruitment, then it's a sign that the inducements being "offered" by the military are insufficient to meet their needs. they need to re-organize their recruitment strategies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might do some people some good.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think everyone who's not a paraplegic should be required to serve 4 years in the armed service of the USA

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I think they should only draft women for the next couple of centuries.

It's been an all male effort so far and the feminists are stickin' pussy hats on their heads and marching for equality.

Show them what equality entails.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
just give them a choice and allow them to serve the usa, china, russia, india, brazil, or?

the freedom to choose is worth dying for. not much else is worth dying for.

if the "cause" was great enough, we'd be run over by volunteers.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
100% participation in the armed forces sounds good in theory. But consider that even during WW II, lots of able bodied men were given deferments when their job stateside was deemed more valuable to their nation than they could be as cannon fodder.

Point 2: We have difficulty funding the armed forces as they exist today. Some want to increase the size by a factor of ten? Twenty? The money for wages and equipment has to come from somewhere!

What would we do with all these bodies? Put them to work building hiways, and dams, like they do in China? Or just stand them on the street corners with a live automatic weapon as they do in China?

Our gov't seems to be headed in the direction pointed by Chairman Mao fast enough, I do not wish to encourage it to accelerate.

At this point in time, we are fielding sufficient numbers to do their job of defending our nation. I would not favor adding draftees to the mix, and I certainly would not favor 100% conscription.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I think they should only draft women for the next couple of centuries.

Yep.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i would rather they bring back the CCC or somesuch.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somebody has to do the fighting. The world is lining up against America. The best volunteers are vastly outnumbered by the immense and onerous obligations of the Service. As good as they are, and they are very good, the Volunteer Service could use a little help now and then.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Currently, there are standards to be met before a young person is eligible to join US armed forces. For example HS graduation and no felony convictions.

What is the service supposec to do with these rejects when drafted into today's military? Cannon fodder is a bit of an outdated concept.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The Navy can't steer its ships now with "professionals". What would happen with draftees?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

No! .

I don't see how conscription on any worthwhile magnitude would be fiscally sustainable nowadays nor necessary with modern day high tech warfare, short of full out declared war.

Back when the draft was used to fill quotas the US Army generally got the bulk with the US Marines sometimes getting a few. During the Vietnam era the US Air Force and Navy stayed swamped with those wanting to enlist and likewise National Guard, hoping to avoid being drafted into the Army or Marines.

A good many of those who enlisted during the Vietnam era did so in order to choose a MOS and duty station that hopefully would allow them to avoid going to Vietnam altogether and being assigned to any combat arms MOS, especially Infantry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the people in this country these days aren't worth the risk of defending.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mixed bag for the military but something that can be reinstated if necessary. Perhaps we should consider drafting our representatives in D.C. instead?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MikeL2
The Navy can't steer its ships now with "professionals". What would happen with draftees?

Read my post. Draftees wouldn't be driving, they'd be doing entry level work. Besides, we did ok during WWII w 66% of the force were conscripts.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I served under both the draft era and the all-volunteer force and I can tell you from personal experience the difference in the quality of the force is the difference of night and day .

I was a draftee during the Vietnam era, and I had several old Sergeants, E-7 and above that much preferred the draftees to the men that joined on their own. At least that is what they said. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have always been a fan of mandatory service. Not necessarily military, but not political "organization" groups either.

Maybe one year of service in which your individuality is stripped, you work for a higher cause and have a subsistence wage. I think it would do wonders for our country.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then we'd have another million potato peelers, supply cage clerks, bradley mannings, bowe bergdahls and rust chippers that we would be guilt-stricken over having to thank them for thier service. Ole seafire would be falling all over himself buying remmingdog 783 rifles for them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.