Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pre64 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone have any pictures/comments of these stocks? Most have said the grading is very conservative.

R

Ross Custom Arms
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that their inletting sucks and only use them if there is no other viable, or affordable, alternative.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just get a stock blank and a dremel tool, it will save you time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good news, they offer lots of wood and style options.

Bad news, inletting looks like something chewed out by a drunk beaver.

Agree with Steelhead.

Nothing "microfit" to be found in the Richards Microfit.

DF

P
Pre64 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
When I send blanks off to be duplicated they look just like what I sent to begin with. Very little final fitting and sanding if any....
It's just expensive as hell.
R

Ross Custom Arms
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that their inletting sucks and only use them if there is no other viable, or affordable, alternative.

This ^^

I can put you in touch with a good wood guy, PM me if you want his #

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the cheapest grade blank you can get from Richards. Bed it with bondo, shape the outside the way you like, again use bondo if you need to add a little.

Send that and a nice blank to a quality duplicator, if you don't know one I can provide a name and number.

Sand, bed , checker and finish it and you will have a nice stock, if you work is up to par.

If you have no stock making skills call McMillan and order what you need.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have had ramrod340 duplicate a stock for me and he did a great job. I had one of the top stockmakers duplicate one at a high price and I thought he had sent me a Richards Microfit.
Can't go wrong with ramrod340.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used a few Richards stocks through the years. The last one I had a year or two ago was light years better than the Richard's Maybe Fits from years ago. They do grade conservative except on their blems and seconds. They exaggerate the severity of defects. I am thinking of buying a 99% press fit AAA or XXX or exhibition second from them in the near future under $200.00 if I recall.

Last edited by sbrmike; 08/22/17. Reason: spelling

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I have used a few Richards stocks through the years. The last one I had a year or two ago was light years better than the Richard's Maybe Fits from years ago. They do grade conservative except on their blems and seconds. They exaggerate the severity of defects. I am thinking of buying a 99% press fit AAA or XXX or exhibition second from them in the near future under $200.00 if I recall.

I like their styles and wood selection.

If they could inlet as well as Boyd, with their selections/options they'd be a contender.

You're saying their inletting has improved?

DF

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would much rather take a little wood off rather than add glass. My only direct experience with Boyds is their mauser offerings and the inletting was huge. I was at a few NRA conventions and Boyds were there and they were tauting their mauser drop-in stocks and wanted to know what I didn't like and I showed them: " Look at the gap all around the bottom metal. That is what I am talking about." That didn't bother them a bit

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I sent two blanks to be inletted by RMF for 98 Mausers. They cut the ejector box notch a bit too far forward on the first one. The other one is still sitting here. That's it for me and RMF. The rest of the inletting wasn't bad. Oh, and they took 3 times the estimate, 9 months.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I would much rather take a little wood off rather than add glass. My only direct experience with Boyds is their mauser offerings and the inletting was huge. I was at a few NRA conventions and Boyds were there and they were tauting their mauser drop-in stocks and wanted to know what I didn't like and I showed them: " Look at the gap all around the bottom metal. That is what I am talking about." That didn't bother them a bit

Mausers vary so much compared to 700's, 70's, etc.

Getting a skin tight fit without them having the gun isn't a slam dunk.

DF

P
Pre64 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
As I originally stated, seems like they are all over the place with regards to inletting, final sand, etc. I may buy an AAA or Exhibition Second to just try it. A good blank from a reputable business is more, even with a gunsmith discount.

Ross Custom Arms

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 25 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.