OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a fox hunting rabbits, not a squirrel.

Engraving looks okay, but gold border on the receiver might be a bit crooked. There must be an interesting story about where the original wood went. The walnut is decent, but not outstanding. The finish is awful, and why no checkering?

Looks like just the thing for someone with a stock set from another Number 1 in the attic.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Holy fail boat.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Agreed, the wood finish is unfinished- why build a fancy rifle and then go cheap on wood quality, leave the pores unfilled, and forego the checkering? Gold borders look too heavy to me, but it could be the light in the pics. Guessing it was engraved by a student or someone who was just starting out. Worth $1400? Maybe, to someone who has to have it, but that someone wouldn't be me.

My first question regarding a 35 year old .22-250 would be what's the bore/throat like? Not everyone is an astute 24HC member who knows how to take care of a high velocity rifle bore. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
Holy fail boat.

Dave

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That stock is a great motivator on the importance of filling the grain, which is a great reminder since it's currently taking me about seven lifetimes to fill the grain on a piece of english walnut I'm working on.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It's a B with the checkering sanded off. Blah wood, 1950s quality Jap engraving. A nice $900 rifle wrecked.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just noticed: they accept trades.

I bet they do!

What fresh Hell is this?
N
N
Originally Posted by Pappy348
.... and why no checkering.

Checkering destroys the beauty of wood.

checkering seems to be used more to cover up bad wood than anything else.

if the wood is really nice, it needs nothing more than a good finish!

and besides, there is no need for checkering 'cept maybe on VERY large bore, hard recoiling rifles.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by deflave
Holy fail boat.

Dave

Yep.

Eloquent as always. The engraving is poorly executed and neither artist or accurate. "Fail Boat", indeed. I would rather a stock gun than what looks like a first attempt from a novice engraver.

As far as the wood, better to keep it plain than mess it up with poor checkering. With how bad the steel looks, why even mention the wood. It s a big dont matter. Unless you are buying for parts. Then its a net zero.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nanuk

and besides, there is no need for checkering 'cept maybe on VERY large bore, hard recoiling rifles.

Good checkering adds to the beauty of a stock, and is functional as well, which us why they checker or otherwise texture synthetics. The finish on that stock didn't do anything for the looks; just highlighted the poor workmanship. If that stock is indeed the original with the checkering removed, it might have been badly damaged, in the field, or during refinishing. I think it's a poor restocking job, myself.

Never heard of checkering being used to cover bad wood. Inlays have been used to cover minor flaws, but are uncommon now.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/03/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It says in the description it is one of the engravers early rifles. It probably was a trade in or bought from a collection.

First Stop has always been completely honest with anything I have done with them. If someone bought this and didnt like how it was in person, I know they would make it right.

Can't blame the selling shop for the craftsmanship level. I'm sure they paid only a price they know they can make decent profit on.

I will say, it would have been better without the animals. Animal engravings either look good or like cartoon crap, if not done well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by nanuk

My gosh: I think you're right. It's not often I have his sort of epiphany. I shall now head to the gun safe with a large file in hand. Thank you for the inspiration.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There you go, forgetting the sarcasm font again.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.