Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Looking for some load advice. Load data is all over the map for the 10 mm it seems. Settled on a load for my 180 xtps and and 180 golddots with AA 9. Heard lots of good things about #9 as well as long shot.

Got some 200 grain hardcast that I need a load for. My supply of #9 is a bit light and I use it in other cartridges. Sitting on some longshot that I have no other use for. So any advice for loads with longshot is appreciated.

Gun is a glock 40 with a KKM barrel. Looking for a load that would be deer suitable as well as pack some serious punch if needed. If I am punching paper I will use some cheap coated soft lead bullets I have on hand.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I do not have my files handy right now. My favorite powder is Longshot for the 10mm.

But if you are looking for a stout load using hardcast, it is not suggested you use the same load for your cheap coated soft lead. I would not use them myself. The pressures with the 10mm are to high for those bullets at and around maximum loads. I use AA#5 for the "plinking loads" for the 10mm. I use X-Treme Plated for those. Lots of powders work for moderate reduced loads. (180gr @ 950-1000fps) . I need that much to run the same springs as the full power loads.

Working up at max loads, I would suggest using a chronograph.

For deer, I use XTP's. For Hogs, I use the 200gr hardcast. No big bears around here.

My 10mm's are not Glocks. So the Glock owners should have some additional good info for you. KKM is a good start from what I have heard.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Load data for your "200gr hardcast" has to be specific to the actual bullet design you have. You can NOT use just any ol' 200gr lead bullet data; case capacity can vary a lot between different designs. You didn't give any details on what bullet you're wanting to load; any load data someone supplies for the info you've given shouldn't be trusted because of that, it might work for their bullet but not for yours.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I suggest you buy this. I have it but it is at my Texas home where I am not. Classic Brian Pierce.

https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/handloader-253-june-2008/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The bullets are Beartooth wfn gas checked. Have been told it is the same bullet that double tap loads and longshot is the powder that is used. Double tap will not confirm or deny.

I realize that data will vary depending on the bullet. Just was looking for a range as starting point. I have not looked at the handloader data. I do have access to the Load Data website. Which typically contains all the loads from the handloader mags. It does list longshot with anything cast.

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All the loads from that article are on the LoadData.com website...

I just got some Longshot powder also and plan on working up some heavy cast bullet loads also. Looking at the Accurate Molds 40-215 for my heavy but for as many as I will probably shoot may just buy some commercially available bullets for now.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Longshot for jacketed bullets and 800X would be the powder i would use for the cast bullets

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bea175
Longshot for jacketed bullets and 800X would be the powder i would use for the cast bullets

Longshot fir both when top velocity is wanted.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
The bullets are Beartooth wfn gas checked. Have been told it is the same bullet that double tap loads and longshot is the powder that is used. Double tap will not confirm or deny.

I realize that data will vary depending on the bullet. Just was looking for a range as starting point. I have not looked at the handloader data. I do have access to the Load Data website. Which typically contains all the loads from the handloader mags. It does list longshot with anything cast.

I've got a pretty good load for that bullet. I'll see if I can remember to dig it out when I get home tonight. It shot the best out of my Model 40 than any of the other handloads I had put together for the 20. Still in need of tweeking, but it will give you a start, but you should also back off a grain or two and work up.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

That's much better info.

In my experience, AA9 is your best bet for accuracy and velocity with that bullet design. What I'm using is not that exact bullet, but very similar; 13.4gr of AA9 gives me 1350 fps from a 6" G20L (aftermarket long slide from back before the G40 came out).
I don't have a comparable Longshot load, sorry.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Can't go wrong with AA9 in the 10mm. Burn rate is right in there where you want it for heavies.

This winter I am planning to text it with the 220 HC FN along with Longshot.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have no trouble going with the #9. Just have about 2 pounds of the longshot. Bought it to load shotgun slugs for deer. Now rifles are legal statewide so no need to load slugs. I will find some longshot data for 200 gr jacketed bullet of similar design reduce things and gradually work up. Gone that route before with other bullet powder combos. Still have most of my fingers and have yet to blow up a gun.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Blue dot is a good powder. But it has a black box warning for using in the .41 Magnum. Interior dimensions and pressures for the 10mm are similar. People might disagree, but I stay away from it in the 10mm for that reason.

800X is a good powder. But it will spike pressures without warning near top loadings in the 10mm. It happened to me. I do not use it anymore.

Just wanted to let you know about these powders for additional info.

The 10mm is a magnificent cartridge, but it has it's limits. Respect it.

Glad we could help.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..there is now new load data out for Blue Dot in the .41 Magnum... There was never anything wrong with using it, its just that some of the published loads were way overboard.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RJM
..there is now new load data out for Blue Dot in the .41 Magnum... There was never anything wrong with using it, its just that some of the published loads were way overboard.

I just looked at Alliant's website. There are no loads for the .41 Magnum using Bluedot. There are new loads for some of their new powders, but still no Bluedot. Even in their "New loads" section.

There are loads for the 10mm though.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I need my digits.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.