Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm researching new boots for deer hunting (mostly in PA and WV). I spend many days in a treestand, but change it up some days and still hunt during slow periods. I do use Arctic Shield booties over my boots when it is really cold. That said, without carrying an extra pair of boots into the woods, how much insulation should I seek in a pair of boots? I've considered the Lowa Tibet, Danner Pronghorn, UA Brow Tines and Irish Setter Vaprtreks so far and would like to stay in the $350 or less price range.

I welcome any suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this a full-season-type boot (early archery thru early winter)? Seems like the versions you've named are all sans insulation.
Is hunting in snow generally part of your season?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
They would be mostly for winter as I used a lightweight uninsulated boot for archery and small game seasons. I was considering the 1200 gram versions of the Under Armour, Danner and Irish Setters (darned if I can find a reference to the amount of insulation in the Lowas). Hope this clarifies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, that helps.
Well, I was going to recommend the Cabela's (Meindl) Winter 800 boot but after a quick perusal of the Cabela's site, it appears they're no longer offered.

The UA Brow Tine 2.0 is an interesting boot but I have no experience with it. Big help, eh? laugh

Obviously the more insulation, the bulkier the boot. How much you're going to be still hunting vs. stand sitting will make a difference.
Beside the Canada boot mentioned above, I use the Meindl Perfekt 400gr with an extra sock and that generally will get me by and is great for both without the bulk (still hunting/stand sitting) - especially with boot blankets as a possible accompaniment if it's really cold.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I never found a straight insulated boot that worked for me. A good pair of Sorrels with 3/8" felt packs was about the best. Now I don't worry as much .I use chemical toe warmers and in real cold weather, I buy the full insole foot warmer .About $10 a pack

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/19/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The over the boot warmers are what I use. Walk to the stand in lighter weight boots then put the insulators on when you get up in the tree. Two problems, one solution.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
The over the boot warmers are what I use. Walk to the stand in lighter weight boots then put the insulators on when you get up in the tree. Two problems, one solution.

Good advice here if your trying to get by with only 1 pair of hunting boots, i cant imagine owning only 1 pair as I have 8 or 10 pairs of hunting boots......Hb

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not sure where you are in SW Pa. but as a reference, I hunt both Somerset and Clearfield counties. If I plan on moving fairly often during the day, 200 gram or 400 gram boots work just fine for me. If I'm going to sit longer, I have a pair of 600 gram boots that work for me. I wear wool socks with them. I got in a late afternoon flintlock hunt this past season, sat for about 2 hrs in 10 degrees with snow on the ground and my feet were just fine. One pair of boots is from Cabelas, one from Gander Mtn, and one pair are Red Wings. That said, I am not an all day stand hunter, after 2-3 hours in one place, I have to move and see what's on the other side of the ridge. And I don't do tree stands.

FWIW,

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wear 1000 g Lacrosse Alpha Burly's with a poly sock liner and merino wool socks that are thin enough to give me some wiggle room for my toes. Wicking moisture away from your feet to keep them as dry as possible is really important.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got some American-made 800 gram Danner East Ridges in 2015 and haven't had cold feet since, even all day on stand in the teens. They're pretty fluffy around my foot and ankle which cushions against side impacts. Not too heavy when walking, either. About $230 on Amazon, depending on size.

Make sure you get them big enough for good socks. I bought my regular size and had to send them back for a size up.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I use the older military cold weather boots Uncle Sam was kind enough to give me two pairs of in the BDU days. Not the Mickey Mouse boots, but the matterhorns. They are thinsulate lined, but I'm not sure how much. I think 800. I wear one layer of smart wool or merino socks inside them. They serve well for walking around, and if I need to sit when it's really cold, I carry boot blankets in my pack. Rarely have to use them. My hunting temps range from high teens to high 30s.

Old70

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
400 gram boots works just fine for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2nd the Meindl Perfect Hunters. They became my go to boots when I lived in AK, then again while I lived in Northern Pa. I wear thin wool "hiking" socks in the early season or when I know I will be on the move (bear season, late season small game). I use a heavier sock for all day rut sits, etc. I tried the perfect hiker's by meindl, they're good, but will be going back to the hunter when the hikers wear out. The hunters are 400 gram, the hikers are uninsulated. Not much difference in bulk, the hunter has better ankle support.

Ive tried Danners, Red wings, Irish Setters, etc. etc. From Sheep to Goat, to whitetail, pheasant the meindl hunter covers it pretty well.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have many pairs from early season trail shoes to late season tree stand pack boots and boot blankets

The perfkthunter boot is pretty versatile

Last edited by ribka; 08/20/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 pairs of Danner Pronghorns. 1,000 gram and 400 gram Thinsulate, both with Gore-Tex. My feet sweat in the 1,000 gram boots and then get cold. I've found the 400 gram to be just about right for a combination of sitting and still hunting in cold weather. Everybody is different though.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have irish setters,with 1400 gram insulation for stand hunting,and danner pronghorns for warmer weather.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Irish Setter elk hunters are great boots when it's cold. They might fit your needs, plus they can be rebuilt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I generally wear the same pair of Lacrosse Icemans. Stand and walking around the UP. Opening day might be 45 degrees or it could be -10. It does swing a bit.

What I've found the best for me is to really loosen my laces once I'm sitting. My feet stay much much warmer. Probably because my blood can circulate freely.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't stand more than 400 even in the 30's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my insulated Lacrosse Alphaburly's I've walked for miles around UP swamps and can sit in a treestand in most weather without getting cold feet. They're by far the most comfortable rubber boots that I've worn. I think they have 1200 grams insulation but can't remember off the top of my head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.