Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pre64 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Are these worth any money when a custom barrel and stock are put on in a 300 H&H or 375 H&H? I've seen rifles like this fetch 2k all the way to near 4k. Or did the seller just hit the right buyer?

R

Ross Custom Arms
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on the quality of the work and or the name of the smith. The actions alone bring a pretty penny. By the time you barrel, stock, blue etc....
You may have more in it than anyone is willing to pay.

Seems you are looking for a way to make money off custom rifles?

Go to Guns International and look at the custom guns for sale, they generally sell for less than the replacement cost.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
P
Pre64 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Good point. I build, convert and restore 86 Winchesters, Ruger Single Actions and Colt SAA. Not wanting to make money, just trying to determine if building some in my free time is worth it for me. Of course, there will be a day when I'll sell it and don't want to get killed.

R

Ross Custom Arms
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pre 64 H&H Magnum actions are a top choice for a highend build. I can remember back in the good old days, about 25 years ago and back, seeing G&H employees up in our area buying every pre 64 Win 70 H&H action or rifle there was for good money at least once a year.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO,
I don't want to sound like the voice of doom, however, the market is greying out a little. I talked to CSMC last year about a 28 gauge Winchester 21 O/U and they said there were no plans to make anything other than the 20. Further, he said that had they known what they known then what they know now the 21 O/U project would have never gone forward at all. This largely shocked me and I asked if he would mind explaining a bit more. In short, he said that they lose 10 older shooters to attrition and get 1 new shooter interested in that end of the market back. I was surprised at that admission. There was nothing for him to gain by passing it on... That said you COULD be swamped, however, I don't know as the market is there. There are always those lined up for something for nothing...

LRI Inc., Chad Dixon, is setting up a new HAAS 5 axis Milling Machine to blueprint all types of Model 70 actions as we speak(along with other ala-carte work done on the same machining center). A machine that can run at night unattended... I dunno if it is a VMC or HMC Further, he is setting it up at a discount for a Group Buy. He has been doing rolling "Group Buys" since 2013 on Remington 700s and has an excellent reputation aside from being a wee bit of a dick. I am going to wait until he gets the bugs worked out and send him a 51' Model 70 in .30-06 and have him go full bore on receiver work, chamber a new barrel in .270 WCF, .280 Remington, or even .30-06', and bed it in an Echols Legend as a test to see what he can do... I think it is going to be hard for smiths who do each operation with considerable setup time on a manual mill & lathe, to match a $100-200K plus HAAS using gang tooling and multiple actions in the work holding, WHEN & IF, Chad gets the bugs worked out. I don't like him personally, however, he can do EXCELLENT work and I would not bet against him coming or going. I don't think D'Arcy, Penrod, or Heilmann are in any trouble, however, those who occupy the middle ground between excellence and the half-azz, like a board member who comes to mind, are likely to lose work...

That AND look at where the majority of "Custom" rifles are going... Granted this is another FWIW & IMHO, however, the PRS bit has really taken off as huntable land continues to become less available to the public AND guided hunts are too expensive for anything other than gun writers shooting gratis & wealthier clients. I see us, in the long run, winding up with more shooters and fewer hunters. Another situation like Germany which is not good for the long term health of this passion. Shooters, wait for the mother of all gratuitous assertions, are more likely to buy a new custom action than they are something like a Pre-64 of any flavor... Who would have guessed 10 years ago an action called "The Deviant" would be the MUST HAVE if you are going to be taken seriously as a steel sniper... Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea, however, I see more and more of THIS and fewer and fewer rust blued & French Walnut works hunting rifles. Though the market for the true craft will always be there.

Another small issue, and on this I tend to disagree from experience, however, I defer to Mark when it comes to metal work. He prefers New Haven Classic Model 70s. Specifically, and I detest speaking for someone else, he says the "steel is better". I buy the steel argument with the glaring exception of the fire control. The Sear & Trigger SUCK in comparison to Pre-64 tool steel. We are building a .300 H&H/.375 H&H pair to complement the .270 Win, that he & James Tucker(along with ALL engraving by Roger Kerr) built for Allen Day in 2008 or 2009, and I was lucky enough to blunder into... I have one, a NIB very early Classic in .375 H&H, and I'm looking for another for the .300 H&H. Mark said we could use another early Classic Super Grade in .300 Win Mag I have on the shelf, however, I want them to be a true pair built on New Haven Express Actions. I would love to commission James Tucker to stock this pair as well (in addition to Echol's Legends for rough use hunting) as I have never examined a more perfect piece of sculptured walnut. No wonder Westley Richards had him stock their exhibition rifles a few years back. Unreal work.

In short, I dunno if I would go that route unless I was already a known name in the field. Granted I know two younger gentlemen on this site who I sold a Pre-64 barreled action to one and a Magnum Fill Echols Legend to the other for his .300 Wby built on a Pre-64 H&H action. Hence the market still exists. I just don't know if it is as big as it once was... FWIW & IMHO.

Regards, Matt.

Btw, Pre-64Win.com takes the actions apart and sells them by the part. I have ZERO interest in a non-matching numbers rifle. Granted there may be no "matching numbers" specifically, however, I have no interest in a Pre-64 70 H&H, standard, or fwt for that matter, that did not leave the old Winchester Factory together. I had someone on AR offer me a pre-war H&H and frankly, I was interested UNTIL it became clear it was a parts receiver... Others may not care.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Useful insight. Thanks

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
IMHO,
I don't want to sound like the voice of doom, however, the market is greying out a little. I talked to CSMC last year about a 28 gauge Winchester 21 O/U and they said there were no plans to make anything other than the 20. Further, he said that had they known what they known then what they know now the 21 O/U project would have never gone forward at all. This largely shocked me and I asked if he would mind explaining a bit more. In short, he said that they lose 10 older shooters to attrition and get 1 new shooter interested in that end of the market back. I was surprised at that admission. There was nothing for him to gain by passing it on... That said you COULD be swamped, however, I don't know as the market is there. There are always those lined up for something for nothing...

LRI Inc., Chad Dixon, is setting up a new HAAS 5 axis Milling Machine to blueprint all types of Model 70 actions as we speak(along with other ala-carte work done on the same machining center). A machine that can run at night unattended... I dunno if it is a VMC or HMC Further, he is setting it up at a discount for a Group Buy. He has been doing rolling "Group Buys" since 2013 on Remington 700s and has an excellent reputation aside from being a wee bit of a dick. I am going to wait until he gets the bugs worked out and send him a 51' Model 70 in .30-06 and have him go full bore on receiver work, chamber a new barrel in .270 WCF, .280 Remington, or even .30-06', and bed it in an Echols Legend as a test to see what he can do... I think it is going to be hard for smiths who do each operation with considerable setup time on a manual mill & lathe, to match a $100-200K plus HAAS using gang tooling and multiple actions in the work holding, WHEN & IF, Chad gets the bugs worked out. I don't like him personally, however, he can do EXCELLENT work and I would not bet against him coming or going. I don't think D'Arcy, Penrod, or Heilmann are in any trouble, however, those who occupy the middle ground between excellence and the half-azz, like a board member who comes to mind, are likely to lose work...

That AND look at where the majority of "Custom" rifles are going... Granted this is another FWIW & IMHO, however, the PRS bit has really taken off as huntable land continues to become less available to the public

AND guided hunts are too expensive for anything other than gun writers shooting gratis & wealthier clients. I see us, in the long run, winding up with more shooters and fewer hunters. Another situation like Germany which is not good for the long term health of this passion. Shooters, wait for the mother of all gratuitous assertions, are more likely to buy a new custom action than they are something like a Pre-64 of any flavor... Who would have guessed 10 years ago an action called "The Deviant" would be the MUST HAVE if you are going to be taken seriously as a steel sniper... Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea, however, I see more and more of THIS and fewer and fewer rust blued & French Walnut works hunting rifles. Though the market for the true craft will always be there.

Another small issue, and on this I tend to disagree from experience, however, I defer to Mark when it comes to metal work. He prefers New Haven Classic Model 70s. Specifically, and I detest speaking for someone else, he says the "steel is better". I buy the steel argument with the glaring exception of the fire control. The Sear & Trigger SUCK in comparison to Pre-64 tool steel. We are building a .300 H&H/.375 H&H pair to complement the .270 Win, that he & James Tucker(along with ALL engraving by Roger Kerr) built for Allen Day in 2008 or 2009, and I was lucky enough to blunder into... I have one, a NIB very early Classic in .375 H&H, and I'm looking for another for the .300 H&H. Mark said we could use another early Classic Super Grade in .300 Win Mag I have on the shelf, however, I want them to be a true pair built on New Haven Express Actions. I would love to commission James Tucker to stock this pair as well (in addition to Echol's Legends for rough use hunting) as I have never examined a more perfect piece of sculptured walnut. No wonder Westley Richards had him stock their exhibition rifles a few years back. Unreal work.

In short, I dunno if I would go that route unless I was already a known name in the field. Granted I know two younger gentlemen on this site who I sold a Pre-64 barreled action to one and a Magnum Fill Echols Legend to the other for his .300 Wby built on a Pre-64 H&H action. Hence the market still exists. I just don't know if it is as big as it once was... FWIW & IMHO.

Regards, Matt.

Btw, Pre-64Win.com takes the actions apart and sells them by the part. I have ZERO interest in a non-matching numbers rifle. Granted there may be no "matching numbers" specifically, however, I have no interest in a Pre-64 70 H&H, standard, or fwt for that matter, that did not leave the old Winchester Factory together. I had someone on AR offer me a pre-war H&H and frankly, I was interested UNTIL it became clear it was a parts receiver... Others may not care.

Matt, I sure won't be the one in your or any others in the way when you consider Mr. Dixon.

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Matt makes some valid points, but the flip side is there are more top notch custom rifle makers in this country than ever before. And they are producing the best rifles the world has seen with one possible exception out of Hamburg, Germany. I really do not think hunting opportunities have much effect on this market. I don't have any figures to back it up, but I would wager that most rifles from top notch makers get used very little in the field. But rest assured, if you can afford a David Miller you can find a place to hunt! I think it was Arnold that said, "there is always something to eat if you are at the top of the pyramid."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've got one up at Rednecks right now, it had it's rear bridge drilled and tapped to 8-40 screws and God knows where it's original barrel is, it is nothing but a fine action to build on as far as I'm concerned, a McMillan Super Grade stock with standard fill is in the works too, should make a fine 7MM Mashburn Super Mag.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old m70 that got Rednecked into a 280 with a McMillan. I'd love to get a big brother for it, but yeah, those Mag actions are pricey.

Maybe a 9.3x62.....458 Win posted a pic some time back of one that tickled me fancy.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A 280 coupled with a 458 would cover coyotes to deer to bull Elk to Ele. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pre64
Are these worth any money when a custom barrel and stock are put on in a 300 H&H or 375 H&H? I've seen rifles like this fetch 2k all the way to near 4k. Or did the seller just hit the right buyer?

R

If you are talking H&H magnum action, then yes. Hell yes and I have the pics to prove it:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A lot of reasons to buy an H&H receiver to build a good rifle on...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Matt, I sure won't be the one in your or any others in the way when you consider Mr. Dixon.

Butch,
I've read how fond you are of "Mr. Dixon" in the past. To be honest I can't stand him, however, I have been impressed with some of his work. IF he can pull this off, and I don't plan on being in the first, second, or third batch, I am not going to allow a personal issue stand in the way of testing the waters. May very well be famous last words. Might be an accurate huntable Model 70 I don't have to worry about dinging... May save the money and apply it to Mark's bill. Still find it interesting...

easttex,
I think you missed my point on shrinking public land and the ability of the few to pay for anything they want. As I said I think we are going in the same direction of Germany. Less available land largely squeezing out "handshake hunters" and only leaving room for those who can pay to play. I would obviously concur on the average David Miller, D'Arcy Echols, Stephen Heilmann client is NOT going to be stopped by Hunt/trophy fees. That said it depends on what you hunt. A decent elephant hunt can make the Echols Classic Heavy Sporter almost seem reasonable. I was referring to Bubba, whom I can relate to a point, who is used to asking his local farmer for permission to hunt. Those requests are being denied more and more. I know as I am the landowner who has to soft peddle a "No, I am afraid not." into the conversation with someone who used to be welcome. That said I can't afford to have an errant shot hitting the high-end shopping center OR the multi-million dollar homes that cozy up to my property lines. I'm third generation taking care of what was bought, worked out behind a mule and plow, and passed down. I can't afford a screw-up or a whoops...

Btw, would concur on Hartmann & Weiss...

fwiw & imho.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are these worth any money when a custom barrel and stock are put on

The current and future value of a custom rifle has nothing to do with how many boxes are checked on the list of options. It has everything to do with the attention to detail, reverence to historical builds and tasteful balanced execution.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
P
Pre64 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Those rifles are superb looking. Don't see how anyone could not want to buy one. Love the walnut stock! It's either English or Bastogne for me....

R

Ross Custom Arms
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by easttex
I really do not think hunting opportunities have much effect on this market. I don't have any figures to back it up, but I would wager that most rifles
from top notch makers get used very little in the field. But rest assured, if you can afford a David Miller you can find a place to hunt!..."

They are refered to as 'safe queens' for good reason, often more about bragging rights and name dropping
than regular hunting with them.... same way women love telling they got their rock from Tiffany.

Some love telling readers how many dollar hrs were spent on meticulous inletting and fancy walnut and cosmetics,
but the DGR then cant pass basic function, because it fails to feed a round during an expensive safari.
when that happens,. action brand,grade of walnut, make of barrel, rust blue and makers popularity on a 'click group'
gun forum dont mean schit.

Best thing that ever happened to working life custom rifles in recent decades is the synthetic stock and rifles like the
Echols Legend. Interesting fact about the Legend is that it came about not as a sales pitch, but result of the repeated
practical request of customers, guys like Allen Day took the leap and never looked back at the termite food versions.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
Are these worth any money when a custom barrel and stock are put on

The current and future value of a custom rifle has nothing to do with how many boxes are checked on the list of options. It has everything to do with the attention to detail, reverence to historical builds and tasteful balanced execution.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful stock. I really love the lines of it. The grip and transition to butt stock, nose, fore end........it all looks perfect. The wood surely adds to it as well.

Is it your work and pattern?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks MM
Yes, the stock and metal work are all done by me. I make all my own patterns from a blank. The older I get, the more I try and put a (very)little of my own flavor on a classic style that's been around for 100 years. Kind of like a great steak. Start with top shelf ingredients and use a tried and tested method. Never fails. Change the recipe too much and it may be trendy for a while, but the novelty will always wear out.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
Thanks MM
Yes, the stock and metal work are all done by me. I make all my own patterns from a blank.

Your work is exquisite.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
JRgunmaker that is my kind of rifle. Very nice. I'm a fan of custom built rifles and have several. IMHO a custom job is just that custom for YOU and you alone. Trying to get your money back from a project is doubtful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.