Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by smokepole

Of the guys I talked to who are old enough to have used self inflating pads, they all say the air pads have a greater risk of springing leaks.

The Neoairs are different from most both in terms of durability and insulating value. Much better insulation that my BA insulated air core pad. I have a pile of older self-inflaters in my basement, they're still serviceable but the Neoair is the one I reach for. I already had one but it was recommended to me by the outfitter I used for my AK sheep hunt, and it's what he uses. I used it for 12 days, camped on rocks every night. Never had an issue with it before, during, or after.

The biggest advantage to the air mattresses are their ability to smooth out the rocks, roots, bumps and dead pine squirrels under the tent floors. But....another thing I don't like about them is when I put my hand, or elbow and sometimes my hip it goes clear to the ground. Inflate the pad really tight in an attempt to address that and it makes it feel more like your're going to roll off.

I've never had a pad spring a leak on me in the field, and I know some people are just hard on that kind of stuff, but I've seen a lot more leaks from the air mattresses than the old self inflators.

I slept on a X-Therm, and as air mattresses go it was the best of the ones I have slept on, but the extra thick Two Track impressed me a lot. Plus the Two Track has a higher R-Value ( If we can trust manufacturers ratings), but it is heavier.

Casey

Two Track is now on my list to try. Thanks!

In my limited experience with air mattresses- which is limited to just Cyn's NeoLite, as far as backpacking stuff- if it's got enough pressure to relieve my hips and shoulders then it's as you say (and she says)- feels like a guy will roll off. For that reason I'm liking what others have suggested, with the Zpad AND an air pad. Just gonna have to go into REI at a slow time on a weekday and hopefully try some stuff out. Their stock was low last time I was in there.

The cot notion holds a lot of appeal too; I read into that last night and guys were raving about them. Guys who'd had to give up backpacking due to injury or age were saying it got them back in the woods. But I'd really need to try one first and REI doesn't have the new model yet, and the old ones are disco'd.

I slept so badly the night before the eclipse (we did the guerrilla quickie overnighter) that I had some of the weirdest dreams I've had in YEARS. Woke up all frazzled. I'll spare you the details <g> but it sucked and drove home that I need to fix this.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/22/17.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
WTF are you talking about? You posted a question and I gave you an honest answer, trying to help out. If someone is feeling like they are constantly rolling off an inflatable, they have it inflated too much. Nothing more, nothing less.

That last sentence was just a joke, if it wasn't a joke I would have used something stronger than "goofball."

I'm willing to leave the BS from that other thread on the other thread and give you useful information on the backpacking forum without dragging the dog sh** stuck to my shoes over here.

Try not to be such a fricking drama queen.

WTF are YOU talking about? You posted a joke and I posted a joke back! I'm still chuckling at yours; that was some good stuff. Did you not get mine? Don't make me explain it; they're never as funny then. grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Of the guys I talked to who are old enough to have used self inflating pads, they all say the air pads have a greater risk of springing leaks.

The Neoairs are different from most both in terms of durability and insulating value. Much better insulation that my BA insulated air core pad. I have a pile of older self-inflaters in my basement, they're still serviceable but the Neoair is the one I reach for. I already had one but it was recommended to me by the outfitter I used for my AK sheep hunt, and it's what he uses. I used it for 12 days, camped on rocks every night. Never had an issue with it before, during, or after.

My wife popped hers on its first big trip; two holes in fact. Jeffrey Pine cone frags. She was quite worried about that and says she cleaned up the area really well but they still got through... So, it can happen.

With that said I've only punctured my old thermarest twice in 30 years. But every time I let my kids use them (we have several) they find a way to pop them. So I'd guess a little care goes a long ways.

My biggest concern about using ONLY an air mattress is that it just sucks to have to find a leak out in the mountains, and something like a NeoAir seems pretty useless popped. At least you still have SOMETHING there with an old thermarest.

As far as thermal insulation from the ground that's been a non-issue for me since my 70's closed-cell Pad From Hell. So I'm not ranking that high on my list.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/22/17.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
it's possible SP's suggest to inflate it less might help. Dunno.

It does. If you want luxury, you need to find an Exped Downmat 9. But the XThern isn't too far behind. A little noisier, but that doesn't bother me after a long day of hiking. Never notice it when I'm that tired, and I roll around in the night a fair bit.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jordan, have you directly compared the Xtherm to the Lite?

Funny... I say cost doesn't matter and I'll eat a little extra weight but those Exped's are heavy! And they are proud of them. But, eyes on the prize here. Comfort is the goal.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
FWIW, I did not do well with the ultralight cot. At the time it had a Cabela's store label but I believe it was the Thermarest rebranded. I wound up selling it here after 1-2 uses. I'm a stomach sleeper so maybe for a back or side sleeper it'd be ok.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting. Makes sense. Side sleeper myself; I can get about one "portion" of stomach sleeping in in a night, but beyond that it messes with my lower back. Too bad-.it would solve the hip/shoulder pressure point issues. Cyn won't let me sleep on my back. Supposedly I snore. I call BS; I've never heard me snore! But she holds certain trump cards in bedly matters.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beats me how the hell any one here can stoop low enough to reply to this liberal troll.

Jeffo acts like an immature ass in the campfire and then try's to act 'normal' on other threads.

One day he's the worlds political analyst, the next day he needs advice on which side to sleep on.

[bleep] off.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Kenneth needs a pad.

A Maxi-Pad. grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was just looking at that cot (online)- that could work! 3+ pounds for the L version.
Be sure to figure in the weight of a pad because it's necessary. Cots by themselves are like sleeping on a glacier. Also, a tight cot is hard. It has no give. It's not much softer than the ground although it's not lumpy. A cot along with an insulated 2 or 3" air mattress is the best of both worlds.

I use an Alps "lightweight" cot while llama packing but it's way too heavy for backpacking. It's still a cot, though. I tried it one night without a pad just too see and it was terrible, cold and hard. Adding an insulated air mattress makes it very comfortable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try a Tampax... it's the perfect pad for a, well, you know. grin

God Bless America!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Big Agnes Air Core pad. Super comfy. Just got to get the right amount of air. Mines uninsulated and I'm comfortable to the upper 20s. I've slept through nights colder than that, but not comfortably.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An uninsulated air mattress along with an ensolite pad of some kind will keep you warm when it gets way down there. The ensolite weighs very little but its bulky. An insulated air mattress along with the ensolite is really warm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by redfoxx

Did you say perfect pad ... period! ??? smile

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by redfoxx

Did you say perfect pad ... period! ??? smile

Tom

<mic drop> smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan, have you directly compared the Xtherm to the Lite?

Funny... I say cost doesn't matter and I'll eat a little extra weight but those Exped's are heavy! And they are proud of them. But, eyes on the prize here. Comfort is the goal.

I've played with the lite in the store, but I have not spent any time sleeping on it. For me, the major jump in R value makes the few extra ounces of the XTherm well worth it.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a warm sleeper (a "furnace", as my wife puts it) and don't ever remember feeling like lack of insulation in my sleeping pad was a consideration in any way. So that's not high on the list, but the Xtherm certainly looks more comfortable in general, and that is high on the list.

Just had some work rescheduled into next week instead of being a crises this week. Yay. Might run in to REI and/or the Backcountry store today.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,
I just got the new Nemo Cosmo 30xl, it's super comfortable, integrated foot pump, insulated, built in pillow, don't slide around on grippy surface, 80"x30"....nice.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Went to REI and tried a bunch. The combo of the Thermarest Zpad and the Xtherm was indeed very nice, and I like the versatility of the Zpad as well as the redundancy the pair would have. On the downside, the XTherm was quite crinkly and noisy and it did have the feeling like a guy could roll off. Didn't have any Exped to try. My favorite, hands down, was the Big Agnes Q-Core; probably the SLX version, which is lighter but not as much R-value as the other Q-core models. They make a dinosized version (25x78 if memory serves) that I think would be awesome, but even the 20x72 version felt more secure in terms of rolling off and was much quieter than the Xtherm. Didn't buy anything yet, I'd like to get into Backcountry and see what they have to try out if I'm spending over $200.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Backcountry is a cool store.

If you're feeling like falling off, you're probably using too much air still in the inflatable. One plus to double pads is you can run the top one with even less air. If you bottom out, you're still on foam pad, not rocks.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 35 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.