Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am swimming in every damn jury pool known to man up here.

Currently on the district and Federal pools.

I get called in all the time, but have never had to sit a jury.....yet.

Maybe I look too stupid or something. You are happy to not get selected, but then you ask.......well, what the hell is wrong with me????? You picked that idiot over me?????

I am MAGA.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been called a half dozen times and never sat on a jury. I missed a child molesters case by maybe 10 spots. I'm up again on 9-28.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am swimming in every damn jury pool known to man up here.

Currently on the district and Federal pools.

I get called in all the time, but have never had to sit a jury.....yet.

Maybe I look too stupid or something. You are happy to not get selected, but then you ask.......well, what the hell is wrong with me????? You picked that idiot over me?????

You answered your own question. Next time be the idiot.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
Love jury duty. Since I don't have a criminal record and don't associate with many criminals, I end up in the box every time I have jury duty. It's a hoot and always look forward to it.

You must not be self-employed.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only time I was picked, I learned if have a public defender you're pretty much screwed. I got to be foremen, mostly because I'm a handsome devil. It was kinda cool reading off the verdict and watching the defendant chit himself.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
The only time I was picked, I learned if have a public defender you're pretty much screwed. I got to be foremen, mostly because I'm a handsome devil. It was kinda cool reading off the verdict and watching the defendant chit himself.

That is one thing I always worried about when I went. I want to really be fair and not judge by appearance. Problem is it is hard to pick out the bigger liar in the barristers.

Hope it comes out well and justly for all. There is a first time for everything.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez
. . I missed a child molesters case by maybe 10 spots. . .

Not me!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie
. . .What county you in Okie?

Cleveland

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been called four times, served twice, foreman once.

Take notes and give it the attention you'd hope to expect if you were the plaintiff,

It's a privilege that isn't valued here much and isn't an option in a lot of the world.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The entire jury is taking notes. I took three pages on the first day.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Served three times (one fed civil case that lasted three weeks) and a foreman once (just a month or so ago). In the last case we acquitted (DUII, fleeing, reckless driving, reckless endangerment). Still not sure why that case ever went to trial.

Carpe' Scrotum
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
PS,

Listen carefully to the Instructions to the Jury, What are you deciding?

The Judge will give you very specific instructions before you're sent in to deliberate,

It's simpler when you know exactly what to focus on.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 1911a1
The worst jury duty I ever had was a child custody trial. It was like I was trapped in a "Jerry Springer Show" for 4 days. It was pure hell.

That would be tough to sit through.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked for over 39 years for a local municipality and some how never had my name pulled. Don't think I will be bothered now since I'm in my 80's and they probably think I am an addled old fool. (And don't any of you jokers make any obvious responses to that last statement.)

Jim

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I was called for Fed District (Alaska) a few months ago. This is held in Anchorage. Apparently they didn't want to foot a $500 airline bill plus hotel from Kotzebue...

Flip side of lying your way out of a jury, is those that lie the other way. My wife, years ago in Barrow, was called on a domestic abuse case. You know, not one of those Native women in the pool with her had ever been abused......Not a single one, in a place/time where it was practically a universal life-style.

Last edited by las; 08/22/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just did one stint; a spousal abuse case, so naturally I voted not guilty.

anyone notice that prosecutors are the most condescending pricks alive? the fake outrage gotta go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have sat in a number of trials and hated every one. Never called. But now my hearing is shot, and I can't hear those high priced mumblers, so I pled deafness when the summons came. I hope they don't try to call me. I really have had enough just sitting behind the bar. And if it was a capital murder case or something with real stakes, I don't feel comfy with the idea I might miss something critical.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
This June I sat in the jury pool for 7 days while they selected for a capital murder case. Case was expected to run 7 weeks.

I was the 212 of 212 in the jury pool and was selected to be the 3rd alternate but then got kicked off by the defense. Judge called additional jurors and four days later the jury was finally complete BUT before the trial could start a mistrial was declared!

Turns out one juror had lied about knowing about the case! Judge has them up on charges after wasting 2 and a half weeks of everyone’s time!!

The little SOB on trail was a gang banger that broke into a home to rob and kill a drug dealer BUT he went to the wrong address and killed a young Hispanic father of 3 with no gang or drug ties.

Hoping they fry him.

Ted
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been called up twice, both times I was interviewed and excused. The first I'm sure I was bumped because of the LEOs I know or am related to. The second was a firearm possession but a convicted felon, being an NRA member got me off that one. I don't expect I'll ever sit on a criminal trial.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was called for jury duty once in 2005. I didn't try to call in and get off because I was a Deputy Sheriff in Texas. I showed up and when they asked the are you affiliated with anyone in law enforcement and are you yourself employed in law enforcement. I told them, truthfully, that ALL my friends were Law Enforcement Officers in Texas and I had been one before we moved. I was a freebie for the defense...I'm automatically excluded, they don't have to show cause. I have always resented that. I can be as unbiased as anyone sitting on a jury. What the attorneys can't do is "educate" me, or really it's "indoctrinate" me because of my life experiences. Everyone has a past and like it or not it does affect you. I guess I just argued my way into never being on a jury.

A 17 year old black kid was caught with stolen credit cards and charged with felony theft. My wife was called to jury duty on his case. He was representing himself (mistake 1). He chose my wife for the jury. The prosecuting attorney knew me and my wife and she secretly smiled and accepted my wife. (mistake 2). His trial showed no logical progression or coherence. My wife is a brilliant woman. She is chair of her department at Southern Illinois University and is likely to be the next Dean of the College. Wordy, unorganized presentations grate on her (mistake 3). He had no reasonable explanation of why he had the cards, nor an alternate story to float out there and maybe get one jurist to hang the jury (mistake 4). When they went back to deliberate there was also a black pharmacist on the jury who refused to find the kid guilty because he was black and had been discriminated against. After he gave his little speech he took the morning paper, opened it, blocked everyone off and began to read. My wife up to that point hadn't said much, but THAT pissed her off. Talking to the outside of the paper she told him that she was not going to stand for that and if they had to be sequestered for 3 months she would never change her vote from guilty. The guy had a couple of relatives in the room. It took them about an hour, and he dropped the paper, gave my wife a sour look and voted guilty. Total time in the jury room:1 hour 45 minutes. Total deliberation time: 5 minutes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.