Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sold some bred heifers on the video sale this morning.

The wife no-saled them the last time, but I got her calmed down enough to let them go this morning.

1385 for the heifers.....she wanted 1400.

Had to take it........we have still had no rain.

We still have 50 to sell. They will be advertised after we preg check the bunch.

I am more than a little worried that next year will be dry, and turmoil in the Pacific is not good for cattle prices.

Always worried about a crash, so I am glad we sold them.

I am MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good deal.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bad markets are always a bum deal. Live to fight an other day.

An older neighbor told me his father would get the check from the Sioux City stockyard commission firm, not open the envelope, just tell his mother to put it in the bank.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Last year she got 1410. But hell, the market was higher at the time, and we were not in a terrible drought.

A lot sold in South Dakota before ours for 1450 or so. All you have to do is look at where we live compared to that......and figure the transportation.

We did okay!

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jim, I'm afraid the beef market is going to take a while to use up the drought sold cattle. Long term, it should make for a higher market.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Richard, my grandfather used to ride the train with my great grand father's cattle to market.

Chinook had a big yards right next to the rail yard. They drove the animals to town and loaded them on cattle cars.

He and his brother would then ride in the caboose and help get the cattle off and back on when they came off for hay and water.

I suspect they got paid a little by the rail company for the help.

The part grandpa remembered most was how quite often the hired men would get the check and not get back on the train!

I think they were going to Chicago back then, but I could be wrong.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How old were these heifers?

I try to figure what the gained in value daily. As in $ per day.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Angus1895
How old were these heifers?

I try to figure what the gained in value daily. As in $ per day.

They were born last March. Bred to start in March.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jim, I'm afraid the beef market is going to take a while to use up the drought sold cattle. Long term, it should make for a higher market.

Yes, I think so too. Folks have been liquidating herds for several months now.

In fact, there was a herd in Sam's country that was liquidated on the video. Not sure why, but I can guess!

People will rebuild....I hope!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Overall, I think we did pretty well. Have sold some heavy steers, a split load and now half our bred heifers.

Not a run away, but not bad for a year this dry.

I am not sure we do a lot better on the video than we did selling to local buyers or going through the ring. You feel better about the fact that more people are "looking" at your cattle. Does not always turn into more money.

For years I watched people haul their calves 200 or more to Billings to bask in the glow of the Goggins/Vermillion angus empire. Only to sell calves for less money than I did at home.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I type to slow to begin to post the tales I've read about cattle, and cattle sales.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One of the stories is about the old party phone lines, and a buyer making one rancher a bid, laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So 17 months? 30 * 17= 510 days?

1385 minus commission. Divided by 510. ? Is that close?

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes, commission was 3 percent....like 40 bucks.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've had so much rain that my rancher friends think they will be baling snow with the hay this fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$2.64 a day

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jim,
Glad to hear you were able to get a decent price for them.

Was this a Superior sale? I've watched most of them, not because I own any cattle, but my neighbors do and I raise hay. Folks having to sell cattle due to a drought means less hay sold.

Even with all of the cattle going to market I don't see any price drops at the store. I don't imagine your inputs have come down, either.

We're not even in a drought here, in fact, I may even get a late cutting of hay due to the spacing of the rainfall. I shredded around the back pasture edges this past weekend, trying to keep the brush from migrating out and shrinking the usable land. There were a few places where the edge of the shredder went into the hay and really bogged it down.

Everything here is as green as Spring and nothing is showing any signs of slowing growth as usually happens this time of year.

I hope the weather pattern changes for you folks up there and you can get some moisture.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are having it rough up there. We've had the coolest august with the most rain I can remember in my 64 years. Grass out the ears, beans better than waist high. The corn was mostly made before the real wet stuff started, I saw some being picked over by Elk City yesterday. Glad sometimes I'm not farming anymore but I am getting tired of mowing the lawn in august!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm small potatoes to the western cattlemen, as I only have 25 cows. But, it gives me something to do, and it matters to me what the market is. I've watched the videos on RFD-TV many times, and found them a very interesting way to compare prices between there and here. We've had wonderful weather here, pasture has held up great all summer and looks good going into the fall. I'm thinking about taking some more ground out of crop production, and fencing it for more pasture. My only concern is cattle prices. It's hard to justify putting land that I'm getting $200 an acre rent money into pasture, if prices don't hold up. I heard an "expert", for what it's worth, on TV the other day predicting cattle prices were going to fall.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't you just love being in a business, were people that have never even smelled cow chit set the price on your cattle, I learned at a young age I didn't need to be a cow man to be a rancher. Rio7

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.