Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone have any recommendations? I have been reading that an adjustable block is really helpful when building an AR10. I am putting together a 6.5 CM AR using mainly Aero Precision Parts and a Ballistic Advantage Barrel.

I have all the parts needed but I am hung up on the Gas Block. Any experience or advice on what to buy?

Thanks.

One too many hobbies....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one on my .458 SOCOM AR-15, got it from SLR rifleworks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All SLR products are top notch..............I've used several of their gas blocks, but none on an AR-10.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Guys. Looking like they might be one of my only options if I decide to go adjustable.

One too many hobbies....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make the .875 in a non-adjustable, but you'll likely be well advised to go with the adjustable, especially if you intend to shoot suppressed.

Other than cost, which in the scope of a complete build ins't a big number, I can't think of much reason not to use an adjustable GB.

MM

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
MM, I agree totally. I think I will wait and see if there are any Labor Day Sales I can jump on.

Thanks for advice.

One too many hobbies....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
Anyone have any recommendations? I have been reading that an adjustable block is really helpful when building an AR10. I am putting together a 6.5 CM AR using mainly Aero Precision Parts and a Ballistic Advantage Barrel.

I have all the parts needed but I am hung up on the Gas Block. Any experience or advice on what to buy?

Thanks.

I've got the same build with the same parts going, but using a Troy .875 block to start with. Haven't got it done yet, but will be interesting to see how she runs to start with.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj

Thanks.

I've got the same build with the same parts going, but using a Troy .875 block to start with. Haven't got it done yet, but will be interesting to see how she runs to start with.

What length barrel did you go with? I chose the 20" Premium.

One too many hobbies....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SLR's products are top notch and I have a few but for my last and any future builds I will be using the Suprelative Arms adjustable gas blocks.

They are cheaper then SLR and keep the detent mechanism outside of the gas block so they can not get gummed up. The Suprelative has the ability to restrict gas entering the block like most adjustable do but also has another set of detents that allow the full amount is gas into the block while forcing the selected amount of excess gas to vent out the front of the block under the handguard.

This further cuts down on recoil and is an added bonus if you may ever suppress the rifle as the can isn't left to deal with the excess gas.

For the OP they also make .875's in clamp on and solid set screw designs.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Mallard,
Thanks! I will look into them! Nick

One too many hobbies....
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Cove,

I have two barrels, bought one and traded for another. One is 18 inches, and one is 20, haven't decided which will be "better" for my tastes. I'm leaning towards the 18 inch as a woods rifle.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

This further cuts down on recoil and is an added bonus if you may ever suppress the rifle as the can isn't left to deal with the excess gas.

This is really backwards thinking; don't believe Superlative's marketing. They're making some claims that are flat out BS. All of the so called "benefits" of the bleed off system are handled as well or better by restricting the gas.

We want the can to "deal with" the excess gas; that's what the suppressor is there for. Venting it to the atmosphere is not helpful, and is the main reason that rifles like the AK platform and the Seyr AUG are still loud when suppressed.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/24/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,948
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.