Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
READ to the end.

Demonstrators in Charlottesville, Virginia, interrupted and blasted City Council members during their first meeting since violent clashes between white supremacists and counterprotesters.

Attendees at the packed meeting said they were upset that an August 12 "Unite the Right" rally was allowed to happen.

Demonstrators stood on the dais and unfurled a large banner that read, "BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS." The meeting was briefly suspended.

Speakers at the council meeting said police seemed to stand by as neo-Nazi marchers and other white nationalists demonstrated.

Many at the contentious meeting on Monday also urged the city to pull down the remaining Confederate monuments in Charlottesville, following the lead of Baltimore and other cities.

"Why do these cities have more moral clarity than we do when we had a Nazi rally in our town?" one resident said.

A Virginia law prohibits cities and people from disturbing or interfering with monuments -- a challenge that Charlottesville officials mentioned.

But the city council voted unanimously to take the initial administrative steps to remove the statues of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, Charlottesville Vice-Mayor Wes Bellamy told CNN.

The council also voted unanimously to drape the Confederate statues in black, to mourn the lives lost during the August 12th rally, according to Charlottesville City Council Member Kristin Szakos.

Police said James Alex Fields Jr. rammed his car into a group demonstrating against the "Unite the Right" rally, killing Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others. Two Virginia state troopers were killed in a helicopter crash nearby after monitoring events.

Fields, 20, has been charged with second-degree murder and other offenses. His next court appearance is Friday.

Emotions ran raw during the meeting that spanned for hours with many chastising the city council and the police department.

At one point, the meeting was suspended as the crowd was "called to order." Mayor Mike Signer said people who spoke out without being recognized would be removed.

"What's the alternative?" Signer asked. "For everybody to shout and scream?"

One woman had already been told she would be removed because of her outburst.

The crowd started chanting, "Let her speak, let her speak!"

At that point, the council suspended the meeting and the members left the chamber.

When the meeting resumed, speakers one after another berated the council members for not heeding community concerns before the rally.

"How many times did we say this s*** was going to happen?" one speaker asked.

City officials said they had tried force the "Unite the Right" rally out of downtown Charlottesville.

The matter was taken to court with the ACLU representing the organizer of "Unite the Right," as the group fought the city's attempt to revoke its permit to gather at a downtown Charlottesville park. US District Court Judge Glen Conrad rejected the city's revocation.

But the explanation that a federal judge had forced the city to allow the rally didn't placate people who gathered at City Council.

"Why did you approve it in the first place?" a person in the audience asked.

"What are you going to do when they come back?" another asked.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Were these people from Charlottesville or some other town.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I guess free speech is going to die. I may not agree with one side or the other BUT they have the right to peacefully assemble and talk. If the people with a different opinion do not want trouble they should stay away. Ed k

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
That 'ignore' function sure does come in handy at times.

FJB & FJT
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by edk
I guess free speech is going to die. I may not agree with one side or the other BUT they have the right to peacefully assemble and talk. If the people with a different opinion do not want trouble they should stay away. Ed k

I agree, as long as they are peaceful. BUT, all must listen to each other without violence, and shouting down others in a meeting and jumping in when not your turn is a form of violence.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by edk

"Free speech" has never been "free". It has historically been bought at a price...

We just need to hang on to what our forefathers fought and died for.

The anti-fascist (Antifa) are the fascists. It was the Nazis who were the social democrats of their time. They weren't the conservative, right wingers some would like to claim. They were the ones, along with the Commies, who tore down statues, burned books, employed a massive propaganda machine to rewrite history. Sound familiar?

It's all smoke and mirrors. Anarchy by another name is still anarchy.

DF

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by edk

"Free speech" has never been "free". It has historically been bought at a price...

We just need to hang on to what our forefathers fought and died for.

The anti-fascist (Antifa) are the fascists. It was the Nazis who were the social democrats of their time. They weren't the conservative, right wingers some would like to claim. They were the ones, along with the Commies, who tore down statues, burned books, employed a massive propaganda machine to rewrite history. Sound familiar?

It's all smoke and mirrors. Anarchy by another name is still anarchy.

DF

There it is, well said Sir.

Old cat turd!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Forgot to mention rent a mobs, riots, "brown shirts" disrupting and creating chaos.

It's the Left who sees Trump addressing a robust group of boyscouts, claiming it was analogous to Hitler addressing his Brown Shirts.

That's a classic case of projection, a psychological term when one sees in others their own issues. Nazis calling others Nazis, fascists calling everyone else but themselves, fascists.

When they call truth a lie and call a lie, truth, it's sort of a Biblical type admonition.

We just don't need to be fooled by smoke and mirrors.

DF

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
DIrtfarmer. I do not think that the working people are fooled by smoke and mirrors" trump would not have been elected if that was true. I do not think that the Antigua at Charlotte had helmets and bats because they were ring a bike to a baseball game. Ed k

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, edk.

I think folks are waking up.

Hope so.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your Rights are blocks in the foundation of society. The Second is the Linch-pin that secures all others. Without the Second, it is the Bill of Suggestions. But the key to the Second, is the First. Without the First, the Second falls. Without the Second, they all fall. They want to dislodge the blocks, and tumble the structure.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Evidently the First Amendment isn't all that secure anymore - like I asked post Charlottsville - does the 1A protect hate speech?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Evidently the First Amendment isn't all that secure anymore - like I asked post Charlottsville - does the 1A protect hate speech?

It does, but there may be consequences. You have the Right to yell FIRE!!!in a crowded theater IF the theater IS on fire.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think if you could view a photo of the town council.....it would be self explanatory!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To top it all, all the hell is not being raised because of Confederate statues... That's just a piss poor excuse. Hell is being raised at statues of WHITE people!

Be Vigilant!

geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.