-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
this year I bought an archery antelope tag and although I've only hunted one day I can already see that wow this is not an easy thing to do with just spot and stalk. I should probably get a decoy but those things are spendy and I'm not sure I'll try hunting them again with a bow. it is fun, but the most challenging hunting I've ever done at least so far.

has anyone else hunted speed goats with a bow?
is a decoy necessary?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Necessary? No. Very helpful and fun? Yes. I'll give you a cheap way to use a decoy. I didn't put in for antelope this year so am not using mine. If you pay shipping both ways, I'll send you my Montana Decoy antelope decoy to use the rest of the year. When you're done, just send it back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have hunted them three times, and arrowed three of them, but all from blinds by water. It's a blast.

Last edited by dale06; 08/22/17.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blinds on waterholes is by far the most productive way. Boring sitting there waiting, but when they come in - it's worth it.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 08/22/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have spot and stalked antelope with bow. It's tough but REALLY fun! I never got a shot but got within range a couple of times but couldn't get a shot off in time.

The best way I know of to get consistently within bow range of an antelope is to only have a mule deer tag in your pocket. It's like they "know!" lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Necessary? No. Very helpful and fun? Yes. I'll give you a cheap way to use a decoy. I didn't put in for antelope this year so am not using mine. If you pay shipping both ways, I'll send you my Montana Decoy antelope decoy to use the rest of the year. When you're done, just send it back.

pm sent

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Spot and stalk sounds like quite a challenge and probably fun but sitting in a ground blind on a water hole does not. I know they are effective but I just don't like ground blinds. It feels like solitary confinement with a photo of the outdoors on one wall. I realize it's my problem since I can sit a treestand all day during the whitetail rut but two hours in a ground blind hunting turkeys is my limit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LostArra
Spot and stalk sounds like quite a challenge and probably fun but sitting in a ground blind on a water hole does not. I know they are effective but I just don't like ground blinds. It feels like solitary confinement with a photo of the outdoors on one wall. I realize it's my problem since I can sit a treestand all day during the whitetail rut but two hours in a ground blind hunting turkeys is my limit.

I usually don't mess with antelope until I get an elk. After pounding the mountains for elk, sitting in a blind is welcomed. Only problem is staying awake!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've taken two pronghorn bucks here in CO, both from blinds over water, IN DRY YEARS!!! Trying to do so this year, with all the rain we've had, would be nearly impossible- there is standing water everywhere, all the ponds are full.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

pm sent

Ryan, you're welcome to my Montana decoy.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Rick! I'll take you up on that! sorry I didn't respond to your text, I was in a meeting. I'll probably be coming up there this week for work so I'll link up with you to get it! Thanks Pard!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
How did the decoy work out Ryan?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.