Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I worked thru it without noticing......

I made no preparations to view it, but at the last minute I had an opportunity to get a great view of it when the AP Science teacher offered me one of the sets of special (paper) viewers given her (for her classes) by NASA. I was glad I had that opportunity, because it was really a spectacular thing to see. It's rarity makes it all the more significant.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm glad to hear that folks made the effort to see it. cool

Seen mine from an isolated ruin outside of Oaxaca in '91, pure serendipity, I was down there visiting a friend.

90 or 99% is a world of difference from a total eclipse.

Next one to hit the US will cross Texas 4/8/2024.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It was too dark to see very much.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

1minute Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the positive comments. Was well worth the 2 days we devoted to the effort. Would gladly do it again with no hesitation what so ever.

Just one more:
[Linked Image]
Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/22/17.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, the next time, we're going to the centerline. This one so impressed us at 93% that we vowed to see the 2024 one in totality

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This link has probably the best photo I've seen of the event yet. Even it does not do the spectacle justice. The corona splashed out several degrees across the sky. But it gets the black hole and colors of the sky close.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...m.847688775400646&type=3&theater

Can't wait to your wife's finished photos.

Carpe' Scrotum
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I made the 130 mile journey to totality into a 3 day fishing/camping trip to Boysen Reservoir in Wyoming and it worked out great. Avoided the traffic and got a terrific show from the boat.
As if I needed an excuse to go fishing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great pictures! The picture you got with the solar flares is the only one I have seen so far like that. Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
This link has probably the best photo I've seen of the event yet. Even it does not do the spectacle justice. The corona splashed out several degrees across the sky. But it gets the black hole and colors of the sky close.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...m.847688775400646&type=3&theater

Can't wait to your wife's finished photos.

Great photo... from the one I saw in '91 I'm remembering four minutes of totality (could be wrong, dunno if that is possible) and a black sun with a glowing corona in a dark sky, dark enough to see stars near the sun. The photo does capture the bright horizon, extending all the way around the horizon. And when totality came, it was like God turning down a dimmer switch, suddenly trending dark, everywhere at once, daylight to night in seconds.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
1minute Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Steve:

Great image from Newport there. Had nothing in our neighborhood that projected that high into the sky. Tide looks to be extremely low. With the sun and moon aligned, one would think the tides would be extreme. Low was about a -1'2" and high was 7'9", so about an 8'11" swing. I was afraid they might experience the typical summer AM fog there, so did not head to the coast. Working on merging a sequence of about 11 images, but will have to quit for about a week or so.

Have not looked it up, but have heard rumors the totality interval will be considerably longer for the pending Texas event.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Steve
That's a cool photo. It was mighty impressive to see it first hand. Much better than I imagined.

Thanks for posting it.

I forgot to mention the same sentiments. It rates a two-cool.

cool cool

Yes , and 99% was very different than complete.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My family and I were just a few miles away from maximum totality yesterday north of Guernsey, Wyoming. I was watching the sun through my sun-safe dark glasses until it disappeared from my sight. I said "it's gone!" then pulled the glasses from my eyes and was greeted by one of the most extraordinary sights I've ever seen! I could plainly see the corona around the sun! The first thought that went through my mind was that our God is truly an awesome God! He put this magnificent display right in plain sight to us but hidden from us by the brilliance of the sun then He gave each of us the possibility to see just a glimpse of His majesty and splendor as revealed in His creation. Our God is truly an awesome God. To Him be all the glory and honor forever!

Lord willing, we'll be watching the next solar eclipse in the USA in 2024.

If someone has never seen a total eclipse of the sun but only a partial eclipse then they have NO idea of what they are missing. A partial is not even close. Not even in the same ball park as a total!

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
My wife, another couple and I drove about 150 miles to be in the totality zone. Where I live would have been 97% and I questioned whether it was worth the effort for another 3%. It was, not even close. Not just the view of the sun,but at even 99% coverage sunlight hitting the ground wasn't much different than the sun going behind a cloud. Within about 2 seconds of the moon completely blocking the sun it got much darker than I expected. Two minutes later the sunlight came back just as quickly.
Same here. We live in the 95-98% zone. We'd considered watching it from here but some friends in the 100% zone invited us to their place for a few days.

When it goes total, EVERYTHING changes. It's a completely new show with a WOW factor off the charts.

I envy 1minute's wife's skill with the cameras. She gets photos way above my level.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My family and I also made the journey to totality in Idaho at the urging of my 10 year old who is into astronomy. I was on the fence about all the effort but after witnessing it I'd say it has to be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Would do it again in a second and we'll be looking for the next one in 7 years. And yes, our God is an awesome God.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.