-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have no idea how to link the video, but it is very much worth the time to watch it at the link

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/2017/08/15/daring-rescue-on-six-mile-creek-caught-on-video/

Video: Bystander saves kayaker’s life in daring whitewater rescue near Hope

HOPE — Homer resident Obadiah Jenkins had no intention of paddling during the 10th edition of the Six-Mile Creek Whitewater and Bluegrass Festival here on Saturday.

"I didn't bring a kayak, paddle or spray deck and I haven't done much boating lately," he recalled. "It was my 33rd birthday, and I had planned to just watch the events."

But friends suggested he celebrate his day by kayaking, and soon other boaters rounded up the gear he would need to float the river.

With a half-dozen other experts, Jenkins did a practice prerace run down the first canyon, rated Class IV. Paddlers rate whitewater from Class I (moving water with small waves) to Class VI (extreme "un-runnable" rivers or waterfalls; only the most experienced expert should attempt). Class IV whitewater includes long, difficult rapids, narrow passages, and turbulent water that requires precise maneuvering.

The paddlers were unaware that someone else, 64-year-old Daniel Hartung of Indian, followed several minutes behind. Hartung was in a recreational kayak designed for calm water such as lakes. Although he wore a personal flotation device, Hartung also donned a bicycle helmet and chest waders, neither suited for the rapids of Six-Mile Creek. As Hartung passed under the foot bridge that spanned the first of three progressively harder canyons on a stretch of creek popular with paddlers, he was already in trouble. Six-Mile includes some of the most challenging whitewater in Southcentral and has cost several boaters their lives over the years.

Into the water

His kayak was perpendicular to the current and he hit a partially submerged mid-channel rock. Hartung's boat flipped and he was dumped into the chilly water.

Later, during the races, at least eight kayakers were assigned as safety observers along both banks and in kayaks, ready to help rescue anyone who encountered trouble. But this early, well before the race began, these watchdogs were not yet in place.

Paddler Daniel Hartung floats down Six-Mile Creek with his boat after being flipped and dumped out of the boat, Saturday Aug. 12, 2017. (James Bennett)
Paddler Daniel Hartung floats down Six-Mile Creek with his boat after being flipped and dumped out of the boat, Saturday Aug. 12, 2017. (James Bennett)
I was perched on a cliff across the creek above the last difficult stretch of the race course and watched as Hartung floated downriver. I shouted that there was a swimmer in an attempt to alert the kayakers who had just finished their practice run and were getting out of their boats. They were around a slight bend in the river, unable to see what was happening upstream.

Hartung was swept toward a canyon wall and over a drop named Waterfall. He plunged feet-first into a slot and became entrapped by a submerged log that braced across the top of his legs. The wood held him in the maw of the river's hydraulic force as water pounded over his head, often bending him at the waist.

I shouted an alarm to the kayakers that the swimmer was pinned. Jenkins grabbed a throw bag (a floating sack with rope used in river-rescue situations) and sprinted up and over the canyon wall and then down to a ledge directly above where Hartung was stuck. Jenkins dropped the rope down to Hartung, who was able to hang on and keep his torso in a vertical position. The water pouring over his head and shoulders created a pocket in front of his face that provided just enough air to breathe.

‘Difficult to catch a breath’

Over the din of the rushing water, Hartung couldn't hear any of the instructions Jenkins shouted, but was aware that someone was trying to rescue him.

"I was draped over the log like a C," Hartung said later. "It was encouraging to see the rope and know that people were there responding."

Soon, others gathered near Jenkins, tying the throw rope off on nearby trees. Despite their efforts to pull Hartung out of river, his leg was tightly wedged underwater. By now, Hartung had been in the river more than five minutes and the cold water had weakened him. "The more I struggled, the more my head went lower. At first, I could keep my head up and breathe, but then it became difficult to catch a breath."

Entrusting the rope to others to help hold Hartung upright, Jenkins grabbed another throw rope and jumped down to a ledge 10 feet upriver of the trapped kayaker. His plan: Tie the second rope off so he could hang onto it and float down near Hartung and try to free his leg.

By now, though, the cold river water had sapped Hartung's strength. He let go of the rope, and his body doubled over, his face forced down into the current by the power of the water. He remained in that position for nearly 45 seconds.

Time was running out, and Jenkins knew it.

Another birthday?

"I violated the first principle of rescuing: Don't endanger yourself to save someone else," he said. Knowing that Hartung was now unconscious and fully submerged, Jenkins, who was still wearing his dry suit, PFD and kayak helmet, jumped into the river. The powerful current slammed him into Hartung, and they both disappeared underwater.

"People said afterwards that Daniel was too inexperienced, didn't have the right equipment and had no business kayaking this river," Jenkins said. "As I was calculating the risks of what I was about to do, none of that mattered. It was my birthday and I just wanted that guy to have another birthday.

"My brain went into automatic mode, and I knew that if I didn't act immediately, we would be recovering a body."

In seconds, Jenkins and Hartung popped up, floating free. A few moments later, a log, probably the one that pinned Hartung to the canyon wall, floated up behind them.

"As others helped pull us from the river," Jenkins recounted, "Daniel was not breathing and had no pulse."

A crew of kayakers took turns resuscitating him.

"He was a fighter," Jenkins said. "To hang on that long in that cold water was pretty impressive. After two rounds of doing chest compressions to him on the river bank, his wife came down and talked to him. You could tell that hearing her voice helped bring him around. His pulse came back and he began breathing on his own."

In a few minutes, he regained consciousness. One of the rescuers had a satellite phone and used it to call for help. Using a deflated packraft as a gurney, they carried Hartung out of the canyon to the road and waited for the ambulance that took him to a hospital, from which he was quickly released.

Hartung was back home in Indian Valley on Monday, his body beat up from the ordeal, but happy to be alive. Jenkins has returned to his farm in Homer.

He is also nursing a sore body from the ordeal, but he's happy it ended well. Hartung has invited his rescuer to dinner this week to thank Jenkins for saving his life.

James Bennett of Soldotna is an avid kayaker who writes freelance travel and adventure stories.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Awesome! Helps boost my faith in mankind after the crap that I've seen too many do on the news the past days.

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/22/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amazing rescue!

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The football tackle worked and there is one guy very lucky to be alive!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never weary of 'good guy' stories.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Kinda reminds me of the story a while back about the guy drowning in the park lake with a bunch of "special" sorts calling him names and laughing while he died...

Not!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow. Impressive is right, that was hard to watch. One hell of a good man there and a great ending to a story that was very close to being otherwise.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The football tackle worked and there is one guy very lucky to be alive!

Coming from the first responder side I'd say thats 2 guys very lucky to be alive.

Glad it worked out and like we say, sometimes you just have to do what you've been told all along not to do, and that can make all the difference or make you the 2nd recovery.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That was outstanding, glad it turned out well or it would have been difficult to watch.

Obadiah is one bad-ass mo-fo!! Or are all Alaskans like that? grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ballsy move! I have to think that Mr. Jenkins wasn't the only one watching out for Mr. Hartung that day.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

Obadiah is one bad-ass mo-fo!! Or are all Alaskans like that? grin

Pretty much...

If we weren't so humble it would be far more obvious...

We hide it well, you know...
wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, good one!!

Once again though, Obadiah didn't hide it very well that day.

That dude deserves some sort of recognition.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

That was pretty amazing. Before I moved to Alaska we did a canoe trip on the Colorado River, inexperienced as we were, it didn't take long before things were out of control. Rolled the canoe and were headed down the river, in life vests. Probably a mile along I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get out alive and then, we ran into kayakers. They threw both of us a rope and got us to the beach. Lost the canoe. You can be dumb at any age. Learned a major lesson that day. I think the guy above did as well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

That was pretty amazing. Before I moved to Alaska we did a canoe trip on the Colorado River, inexperienced as we were, it didn't take long before things were out of control. Rolled the canoe and were headed down the river, in life vests. Probably a mile along I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get out alive and then, we ran into kayakers. They threw both of us a rope and got us to the beach. Lost the canoe. You can be dumb at any age. Learned a major lesson that day. I think the guy above did as well.

Moab reach?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Speaking as an individual with two certifications in swift water rescue as well as having worked as a safety boater and tethered swimmer for many commercial trips as well as multiple international whitewater events including the races leading up to the Atlanta games, I've got to say that he is one lucky SOB. There was an obvious lack of preparedness and knowledge on the part of the "rescuers" and the fact that our hero was able to jar him loose was basically dumb luck. I'm not going to belabor the point, but all those people who were standing on the rock seriously need to get a basic understanding what should have been happening once the swimmer became pinned/entrapped. Mr swimmer needs to review how to swim in moving water as well. Always keep your body parallel to the surface of the water, whether on your back floating or on your belly actively swimming, never let your legs and body hang down. That was really close to being a bad day.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Damned good ending to that one! Wow.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is amazing! The rescuer did the right thing as it turned out but wow he could have been pinned as well. He was experienced enough to know that and risked his life anyway to pull the other man out. Gutsy move.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I been in water like that and he is luck to be alive. Awesome rescue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. Just wow Tks for linking this Art

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

124 members (264mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 25 invisible), 1,204 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,473
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.