Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You didn't climb the tree to get him? grin

Thanks for the post and pics. We still got 7 weeks to go. cry

Louisiana always starts squirrel season the 1st Sat. on Oct., this year it's the 7th of Oct. The good news is that bow season will open Oct. 1, .... it's usually too hot to hunt. frown

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Only distance, at my age, that I get off the ground is the distance between my heels and my azz........grin

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I went this am. We hit a new place, that we hadn't been to this yr. Didn't see or hear very many, but my son did shoot 2 old males. I didn't see any to shoot at, other than winging a shot at one my son had hit. Sorry, no pics today. It started getting hot, so we quickly cleaned the squirrels, and called it a day.

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Went hunting this am. Probably the most beautiful day since the season opened. It was about 57 degrees when I hit the woods. Saw 6, shot at 5, and nailed 4...all head shots! grin All that in an hr.! One more would have been a limit, but I needed to get home.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man that's some fine shooting and fine eating right there. Been gone for awhile but wanted to drop by and tell you that we are gonna work on the squirrels this year. Got several new properties that I'll hunt this year. Oct can't get here too soon..

IC B2

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Get after em schoolmarm! I went this am again. Musta heard 8-10 barking around the woods. The woods had grown so much, that it was hard to sneak on them. Still, I managed to shoot at 3 and get 2, both head shots!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
season starts here on Sept. 15th, been seeing alot of greys and Blacks crossing the roads, just a few Fox tho! hope to get a few with a New, to me old win. 410 I picked up this summer!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My son got up for a hunt with the ole man this am. we had a really good time. He shot a gray, but it lodged in the fork of a tree, and he couldn't get it. Later, he shot at what he thought was a small gray, but it turned out to be a piney! grin

[Linked Image]

I managed to nail a couple of old ones. They'll be going in the limb chicken shredded BBQ recipe that I found.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MD, thanks for the updates and the pics. Looks like you got plenty for a gumbo or a sauce piquante.

What's a piney? Looks like a small grey squirrel.

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
They are a small red squirrel [as opposed to a fox squirrel]. They get in to a lot of stuff, and are a PITA. Indiana doesn't have a season on them, they are free to shoot the yr. round. They can be a major pest.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Piney, first time I ever heard of them and glad we dont have them. It seems you have a lot of fox squirrels. We have a few (I kill 4-5 a year), but mostly ours are cat squirrels. It seems that the higher elevation you go, the more fox squirrels you have. That's not a scientific study. Years ago, I hunted in the Ozark Nat. Forrest and all we killed were fox squirrels, and there were plenty of them. Might have just been coincidence.

Our dove season opens tomorrow. I'll go see if they cut the corn. If it's cut, I might get a few birds (no guarantee), if it's still standing, I'll stay home.

Keep us posted and thanks for the pics.

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Made it out again this am, on a beautiful, but very chilly morning. Ended up seeing four, shooting at 3, and head shooting 2.

[Linked Image]

The first one was a nice young female.

[Linked Image]

The second one was an older female. Nailed her way in the top of an old oak tree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!! Hope the cooler weather comes back...

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Made it out this morning, but didn't get started until after 8:30 am. Saw 7-8, but they were running all over the place. Managed to get shots at 2, but missed the 1st. lil booger. The 2nd one wasn't so lucky grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maddog, we haven't got a report in quite a few days... hope all is well in your world.

Our season wont open for another 2 weeks. I went into the bottom yesterday, actually I was fishing a wide place in the creek, and saw several squirrels and had more barking at me. We are seeing lots of them crossing the roads, so I believe we will have another good crop. Hope so anyway.

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
No problems, it's just been too hot and humid. Straightens up, and I'll get after em next wk.

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, it cooled off, and I got caught up with work, so I went hunting this am. It was absolutely beautiful. The woods was pretty thick, but no skeeters! grin shoulda had two, but the one I got was a 1 shot read head.

[Linked Image]

Get a chance, I'm gonna go again tomorrow.

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Went again this am. It was pretty cloudy and breezy. Got a couple of shots right after I got to the woods, but shot too quick and missed them both. About an hr. later, I finally got a shot at this young female, and nailed her with one shot.

[Linked Image]

M
maddog Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Back at it, again this am. Perfect morning in the woods. Saw several, but only got shots at two. Got both with a single shot each. So far this season, all the squirrels I've shot , has been with my little H&R Sportster single shot .22.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Season opened this morn here. Got 6 before the wind picked up to gale force..

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 44 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.