Print Thread
Hop To
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
My wife picked up .223 Bushmaster Carbon 15 (Ilion,NY) w/a Nikon P-223 3x32 w/a P 2pc base and a Gen 3 Glock 19 the other week from a friend in need. So far the only problem with the Bushmaster was the stripped out scope base screw which I fixed with no hassles. Shoots fine and she likes it. Got to do something at some point with the trigger. I know this isn't a firearm worth putting high $$$ in to so what's out there as a replacement?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
IMHO, you can go two ways, first is buy either a Rock River National Match or a J P Enterprises Adjustable trigger for ~$120.00 (retail) or step up and buy either a Timney or Geissele for ~$240.00 (retail). You can always stick the original trigger back in if you want to sell it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Thanks for the info. This doesn't seem to be a bad price.
http://www.surplusammo.com/products...match-2-stage-trigger-kit-for-ar-15.html

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you can wait, there will be several Labor Day sales, the Rock River Target and Varmint triggers are generally on sale somewhere over the weekend on the Web.

The cheaper option is an ALG QMS, made by Geissele, and a factory 4.5 pound trigger, generally a very clean break - runs about $45-50 normal price.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/23/17.
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Plenty of irons in the fire so waiting is no problem. This the one you mean?
https://algdefense.com/quality-mil-spec-trigger-qms.html

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I put a BCM PNT trigger in my Bushmaster QRC. It's not a Geissele, but it's a HUGE improvement over the factory Bushmaster trigger for $65.
BCM PNT trigger

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Nice to know there are some decent priced options out there. First AR rifle in the family. I've polished a few trigger assemblies over the years so I might mess with the OEM one after I put in an aftermarket one.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Plenty of irons in the fire so waiting is no problem. This the one you mean?
https://algdefense.com/quality-mil-spec-trigger-qms.html

Yes

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd also wait for the RRA 2 stage to go on sale.... I can't remember exactly, but I believe I paid $84.99 for the 2 stage varmint match trigger, that's in my Spikes tactical now... The Geissele 2 stage SSA-E also goes on sale for around $189.00 as well, but may not be in the OP's price range if he's wanting to keep it cheap....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Thanks. I'll add it to my list.

Unless I'm missing something here from what I've read online this isn't a rifle you want to invest much money into? Doesn't seem to be a highly thought of firearm. But I'm willing to go above an entry level aftermarket trigger some if it's worth it. I take it y'all know what the triggers are like on these?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have put Rock River triggers on several AR's, both the Match trigger and the Varmint model, and they work great. I put a Timney on an AR I hunt with, as I prefer single stage triggers. A local gunsmith takes AR triggers and works on them, and he says the result is very nice. So, I'd say your options are pretty wide open. As one poster said, Rock River is always putting their stuff on sale, so if you watch their website, you can pick a trigger up at a good price.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Thanks. I'll add it to my list.

Unless I'm missing something here from what I've read online this isn't a rifle you want to invest much money into? Doesn't seem to be a highly thought of firearm. But I'm willing to go above an entry level aftermarket trigger some if it's worth it. I take it y'all know what the triggers are like on these?

The carbon frames don't "usually" hold up well to wear and tear, they are good for occasional plinking, for recreational shooters looking for an easy entry level rifle. Doesn't mean it won't last you for the rest of your years, just means that it won't take being rode hard and put up wet. The carbon frames tend to split, either at the buffer tube mounting area, or around the hammer pin. Having said that, somebody will chime in with their 10K rounds fired rifle that has been perfect from Day One. Good on them, not all of these hold up the same - don't abuse it, it should last.

If you swap triggers, make sure you get the alignment of the pivot pins darn close when you are driving/pressing them through the sides of the receiver. I've seen several carbon frame and Al frames that were ruined by " I got a bigger hammer" theorists. if you oblong a hole, the rifle will not run, from one failure or another of the fire control group being mis-aligned from the extra play.

Your stock trigger may be just fine, it's hard to tell from the keyboard. The "assumption" is that it's 5-9 pounds in pull weight, gritty as a country gravel road, and generally a tough job to get a good trigger pull without inducing additional errors in your shooting form. Jeff can probably shoot about any trigger out there, but it's an experience thing, not just mechanics.

I'd shoot the rifle with the stock trigger first, it may be horrible, may be just OK, or could be great. The assumption is that it will in the first two groups...JMHO.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/24/17.
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Thanks for one of the fairer assessments I've read on these firearms. It'll mostly just be a plinker for those who come to visit and want to shoot. I may do some coyote hunting with it next winter. That's about it though. Nothing extreme.

As far as the trigger goes the pull weight isn't the problem. It's feel is very gritty and it's not consistent. I've got a Husqvarna 1640 w/a nonadjustable trigger that has a 7lb pull but it's consistent. I'll shoot it this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up on the trigger installation to.

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Well the situation has changed. Our friend whose the original owner is buying his Bushmaster back which we told him from the git go to consider our "purchase" of his firearms by us as a loan. He's in his mid 40's and has MS. He's been told he'll be bed ridden in 5yrs. But today he received a permit to hunt from a vehicle. He needs this as he's going through a lot and fighting a hard fight. I'm glad I got to check the rifle out enough to find and fix that stripped scope base hole. Guess some us will carting his butt around this coming season. It'll be fun.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have RR's bought on sale in both of my AR's. For the money I'm very pleased.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.