-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Link to CBC news report regarding the Plateau fire burning in the Cariboo - Chilcotin Region of BC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/largest-wildfire-1.4257021?cmp=rss

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That a huge area of fire. Good luck.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A little more good news .....

http://www.mycariboonow.com/23605/backcountry-closure-lifted-cariboo-fire-centre/

A full backcountry closure which was anticipated to be in effect until September 5, has now been lifted for the Cariboo Fire Centre.

BC Wildfire Service, Chief Fire Information Officer Kevin Skrepnek says the restriction was the first since 2003.

“We were doing that basically to use every tool we had to prevent human caused fires. People literally weren’t allowed to use lakes, recreational use was not allowed in Crown areas; it was quite a significant move. We don’t want people to get complacent just as a result of us having taking this off. There is still hazard out there but it’s to the point that we feel can reign this in this in from a prevention perspective.”

Skrepnek says there are currently 49 active wildfires burning within the Cariboo Fire Centre, and that there will be buffer zones drawn around them.

A off-road vehicle ban still remains in effect.

The Cariboo Fire Centre stretches from Loon Lake (near Clinton) in the south to the Cottonwood River (near Quesnel) in the north and from Tweedsmuir Provincial Park in the west to Wells Gray Provincial Park in the east.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another new fire East of Kelowna. 1100 people ordered to evacuate immediately.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wildfire-kelowna-august-2017-1.4261493

RCMP are evacuating properties along the following roads: Goudie, Huckleberry, Daves, Goshawk, Hawk, Falcon, Falconridge, Sun Valley, Peregrine, Philpott Forest Service, Three Forks, Thelwell, Greystokes, Dion and Schram.

Highway 33 is also closed in both directions between Gallagher an Big White Road

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/24/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Evening Gary, it's windy down here tonight.

Have a friend involved in the Joe Rich fire by Kelowna. It's mile after mile of small ranches and hobby farms up there.

Anyway it's not over yet, that's for sure. We'll keep those involved in our thoughts and prayers.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ohio fire crew 3 returned home, today. My son's crew received high praise for thier performance review. He did good. smile

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kellory;
Nice!

Good to hear, but then - there was never any doubt on that was there. cool

Thanks for letting us know he made it okay and thank him for doing what he's doing.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kellory;
Nice!

Good to hear, but then - there was never any doubt on that was there. cool

Thanks for letting us know he made it okay and thank him for doing what he's doing.

Dwayne

Will do. I'll see him Saturday.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm guessing that when this nightmare is over and people start rebuilding there will be a brisk business in roof-mounted sprinkler systems for those living near lakes and ponds. Given the ferocity of these fires they might not save everything but might make the difference between something and nothing to come home to.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Stuart;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the summer has been a good one for you all. We've been through your neck of the woods a few times this summer and I can't say it wasn't busy anyway!

One of the hurdles with trying to set up systems for fire suppression is that the first thing to go out is the power. Even when the lines don't get burned, Fortis shuts the power off immediately - as they did in the Joe Rich fire on Thursday.

Typically we'll need hydro to power the sprinkler system's water pump.......

Unless one has either a gravity feed system or a generator of course. Both aren't without some issues and then both require that you get back home to activate the system. Lots of folks weren't allowed back home into the Joe Rich fire and I'm sure that's the case with many of them, so there is that.

Anyway my good wife and I are mulling over the logistics of installing a couple thousand gallon tank set up for gravity feed here, as the lay of the land will allow it. That said I've got to crunch the numbers to see what size of piping we'll need and if it's remotely feasible. Again, we'd still have to be allowed to go back home and there's no guarantee on that aspect of the equation Stuart.

We try to trim the trees up to 10-15' and keep the dead brush cleaned up around the house, but shy of making a moonscape out of the place there's no foolproof method that I've run across. Oh, yes we're in a stucco house with fire resistant shingles too, so that does help.

Still, it's one of the things we risk by living in the sticks Stuart and I suppose since we're here a quarter century one could surmise we've accepted that.

All the best to you all this fall Stuart.

Dwayne

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dwayne
Here's wishing for the best outcome possible for you and yours-

Fred

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Stuart;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the summer has been a good one for you all. We've been through your neck of the woods a few times this summer and I can't say it wasn't busy anyway!..

Good evening, Dwayne.

Fortunately I'm not in the "busy" part of the Wet Coast but somewhat east in Mission, but I did have to drive into Vancouver a few times in July and THAT was busy. Ugh....

As regards the sprinkler system, yes a generator would be pretty much mandatory if you use an electric pump, and I imagine not a few of you have one, but I was thinking of a gas-powered high-pressure pump. Now gasoline and wildfires make uncomfortable bedfellows but the professional (read "expensive") pumps used for fire suppression are gas-powered. Websites like One Stop Fire have info on these systems, although there are suppliers in BC as well.

In fact I'm in the process of putting roof-top sprinklers on my place here as I'm rural enough to not have municipal water. I have a good shallow well, but I also have two underground water tanks, fed from the metal roof in the rainy seasons, with a total of 3000 Imp. gallons. and am considering possibly adding a couple of above-ground tanks as well. I have a high-pressure "trash" pump that I think I can use to draw water from the tanks (possibly with a pressure-relief valve) and have run a 100' line up to the house and started to install 1" PVC lines under the eaves to go up to the gables. There will also be a sprinkler to dampen down the area by the well house. The impact sprinklers can cover about a 50' radius @ 50 psi; 20' up on the gable ends might increase this. I also have a 6kW diesel genny so alternately I could run an electric pump. (Besides, I'm retired and need projectss to work on!)

Now we don't have the wildfire threat here that you folks do but a couple of years ago there was a small fire up the hill from me that could have got out of hand and become quite nasty; some folks had already made provision to evacuate their horses if it spread. Fortunately Hatzic Lake is at the bottom of that hill and there were water-suppressing helicopters dropping water on the fire for nearly 12 hours. So it can happen even here.

Last edited by Stuart; 08/27/17.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Stuart;
Thanks for the reply and further info.

I was actually in Mission on Monday, so I should've waved as I went through.

Indeed a generator and or gas powered pressure pump and tank would be the way to fly I think.

Thanks again and all the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Royce
Dwayne
Here's wishing for the best outcome possible for you and yours-

Fred

Fred;
Thanks kindly sir I appreciate it.

It's been way too long since I've said hello Fred, I hope life has been going okay for you folks in the interim.

The nights are starting to cool off a bit now Fred and with any luck we'll get some rain before too, too long. It's just one of "those" years and like my late father used to say, if we didn't have a bad one once in awhile we wouldn't appreciate the good ones.

All the best to you folks this fall Fred.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have had no shortage of rain up here, would gladly send some down to you guys. It looks like as of a couple of days ago on this thread there was some improvement, how are things as of tonight?

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gerry;
Good evening sir, I hope this finds you well tonight.

We'd absolutely take a few days of rain now, but there seems to be no end of the heat and wind in sight right now.

As mentioned though the days are getting shorter and the nights cooler, so here's hoping it abates a tad soon.

Thanks for thinking of us, we do appreciate it.

All the best to you and yours this fall Gerry.

Dwayne

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Elephant Hill is really moving North - North East. 9 km run last night.

Little Green Lake was tactically evacuated (RCMP and Military knocking on doors) late yesterday. I would not be surprised to see Sheridan Lake, Watch Lake and North Green Lake evacuated in the very near future. (South Green is already under an evacuation order)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OK then. That didn't take long ......

he Cariboo Regional District has issued an evacuation order for the an area south of Highway 24, including the areas of Watch Lake, Little Horse Lake, Little Green Lake and the western side of Sheridan Lake. Adjacent areas south of Highway 24 remain on evacuation alert and the alert has now expanded to include some areas north of Highway 24.
Due to immediate danger, members of the RCMP or other groups will be expediting the evacuation order. The evacuation route is along Highway 24 into 100 Mile House. Register at the Emergency Support Services Reception Centre in in 100 Mile House at the South Cariboo Recreation Centre at 175 Wrangler Way.

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/30/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/30/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Elephant Hill fire took another run last night and moved to within rock-throwing distance to South Sheridan.

Photo (photo credit to Marcel Lang) taken from the Loon Bay Resort on the North side of Sheridan Lake yesteryear evening.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.