Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Morning of Sept 12th, I will be leaving Boise, headed north to the Liard River Hotsprings area to hunt with Gunson Outfitters for Moose and Caribou. Excited is an understatement - other than the 31 hour drive...lol This is a remote horseback hunt near the Yukon border. Will focus on a big Trophy moose, but also have wolf and caribou tags. Been tweaking my gear list and since I am driving will have the flexibility to leave extra/non needed stuff in my truck at camp once we head out. But for now, Here is my updated Gear List:

CLOTHES
KUIU 130 ZIP – 1
UA Sliding shorts – 3
Teton short sleeve base – 1
UA Heat Gear Base – 2
Teton Pants – 1
Phantom Attack Pants – 1
Peloton Zip – 1
Teton Shell Coat – 1
Super Down Puffy Coat – 1
Teton Rain gear Set – 1
Kuiu guide beanie - 1
Kuiu Gators – 1
Killik Gloves – 1
KUIU/UA Socks - 4
Boots – All Leather Danner Pronghorns
Leather belt
Hounds Camp Shoes

Rifle – Weatherby VG DGR – 375 H&H Mag, Neoprene Sling
Scope – Leupold VXR 2-7X33, Warne Steel Rings/Mounts, allen key for just in case
Ammo – 260 Nosler Partition Handloads – 2880 FPS
Binoculars – Leica Geovid HD – 10X42
Ltwt vanguard tripod and BOG gear binocular mount
GPS – Garmin 650
Pack – KUIU 3200
KUIU Pack Rain fly
Knife – Havalon + Benchmade fixed blade
Gerber Saw Kit (Wyoming saw knockoff)
Camera – Samsung Digital
Water Bottle – Life Straw and Camelback Groove Filtered Bottle
Head Lamp – Petzl – rechargeable as well as battery operated
Sleeping Bag – Outdoor Vitals – o degree
Pad – Big Agnes
Mos. Repellent
Personals – (tooth brush, deodorant, Monkey Butt Powder, ect.)
Costco Baby Wipes
Moleskin
Sat Phone – renting one
First Aid Kit
Pack Snacks – Protien Bars, candy bars, crystal light packets, jerky
8x10 tarp
Game Bags – 4 ltwt elk quarter mesh bags
Paracord – 100 feet
Remington Gun Wipes packs
Book to read

Chest Freezer in back of truck with Honda 2000 generator to bring meat back home.

What am I missing? What else do I need...lol

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun paperwork is filled out and NOT signed, yes?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck on your dream hunt!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
And make sure to take a dipp in the Liard hot springs.
Good luck and straight shooting

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
No rubber boots? Awful wet in that country this year. Im heading down there ( Yukon side) tomorrow to guide 4 hunts. I do take hiking boots, but seldom use them.Our side is always wet, but this year has been one for the records books as far as rain is concerned.

Gotta hand it to KUIU their marketing strategy is working! Good luck!

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
All paperwork and passports done (gun lisc. not signed). I asked the guide about rubber boots and he said don't bother - so Im not sure on that. May throw a pair in the truck just in case.

I have used KUIU gear for 4 years now and love it...Until it fails on me, they got my business.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
All paperwork and passports done (gun lisc. not signed). I asked the guide about rubber boots and he said don't bother - so Im not sure on that. May throw a pair in the truck just in case.

I have used KUIU gear for 4 years now and love it...Until it fails on me, they got my business.

Good deal Hiaring8 you're going to have a great hunt, can't wait to see the pictures and hear the story! Look for a blue ago to the north!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I really have never hunted in rubber boots (other than waterfowl) so not really sure what I should be looking at? I know its late in the game, but I am heading to cabelas today to see what they have so at the very least I will have a pair in my truck. What do you all recommend? I assume they make a decent rubber boot for when you need to hike a ways?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assuming no insulation, either the Muck Wetland or LaCrosse Alphaburly are great for walking.

WWP53D
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Extratuffs. You can roll them down ankle high for camp shoes too.
In SE AK some folks almost never their extratuffs off.
BTW I noticed you started with a .338 then upgraded to a .375 While some will dis-agree at least with similar bullets...a 338 is not in the same class as a .375.
Best Wishes on a grand adventure!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Stay away from Muck boots...they don't hold up. The neoprene "grabs" stuff and most of the guys Ive had in camp that brought them had wet feet after 2-3 days. I wear plain old black rubber boots, non insulated. We call them Canadian guide boots! The green ankle fit Lacrosse are good too.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Heres a question, since this hunt is Sept15-24, I assume the moose will be in the middle of the rut. Will that ruin the meat? I know this is a trophy hunt, but I am also looking forward to bringing home 5-600 pounds of good meat.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Heres a question, since this hunt is Sept15-24, I assume the moose will be in the middle of the rut. Will that ruin the meat? I know this is a trophy hunt, but I am also looking forward to bringing home 5-600 pounds of good meat.

PM sent

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good luck on your hunt. Look forward to seeing the results. As far as meat quality, I've never had any bad moose. Caribou on the other hand, is wonderful before the rut, but barely dog food during.

I'll be arriving in BC Sept 19th for my 10th BC hunt. This one is for moose and mnt goat. Haven't started preparing for it at all, but plan to work up some loads next week in my new Kimber 280AI.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
if you have a good chance on a grizzly do not let it go the opportunity may be gone for good.

that is correct do not sign your firearms form before the officer sees it.

rut not ruin the meat for sure, the way they handle or process it may ...

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
4 game bags? what're you going to do with the rest of the critter/s? Or can the outfitter provide you with additional bags if necessary?

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The moose mostly are in pre-rut, but will come to calling. Active rut starts last few days of September, runs into Nov sometimes with second estrus cows Meat should be good, but exceptions can occur, especially if you kill one that has been fighting, is gored up and infected. I prefer Sept 20 as cut-off date, but the 24th is pretty safe. Past the 25th is chancy, at best- I shot one on the 29th that was right rank, and he hadn't been fighting. I would not shoot a bull before November 10 now, either. That one I killed on Nov 1( first day of after-rut bull season) was out of rut, but still had a smidge of rut not out of him. I won't shoot a November bull before the 10th now. If ever. Cows are in (hunting) season then.... smile

You need 10 heavy duty game bags. More if you want to change some out due to wet, blood, or tears.

Your 0 degree bag may require wearing several layers of clothes to bed. I was out last weekend with a 0 degree bag and maybe 28 degree night under a tarp (frost on vegetation, very light skim ice on small, shallow puddles between tussocks) , with a light wind. (inside a tent will add a few degrees- especially if a heated wall tent) Always figure 10 to 15 degrees "rated to" below your expected low night temperature - and even then you might need some clothes in bed. Their ratings will keep you alive, but probably not sleeping comfortably. You can always open it some if too warm.

Often, I prefer taking extra clothes and only a "marginal" bag, for the above reason - I can change out of wet ones, and wear dry ones to bed. And dry one set while wearing the other. Another trick is to wear head covering, ski mask and or neck covering to bed. 75% of your lost body heat is lost through the head and neck area. I like dry socks in bed too- it feels so decadent... smile

Should have brought my -15 bag last weekend, but a light jacket over my regular clothes inside the bag, and my breathable rain coat over the bag took care of that. Exposure to that light 5mph wind didn't help! .

Caribou should be good thru your time frame. They have about the same rut schedule as moose. You definitely do not want a magnificent, white-maned, "stink-bull"s in their rut. Gag a maggot!

Last edited by las; 08/31/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Samsung Digital. I am not familiar with that. If it is DSL, no prob.

If that is a cell-phone camera, which is fine for short range, and kill-site photos, you may wish you had a better camera. There is nothing better than a DSL with up to 300mm telephoto zoom lens for more distant wildlife. Your BOG can double as a tripod for steadier shots at the upper end, but the 300 setting can still be hand held if careful, or a rest is handy. The lowest setting on mine starts where my smaller image -stabalized lens leaves off, but the larger lens is not stabalized. One can get them in image-stabalized for an extra $300 or so. I've a Canon Rebel "kit" from CostCo- about $500 for camera body and the two zoom lenses... You should also buy a couple relatively cheap protective lenses for the front of the zoons.- I bought one plain one and one Polarizing- makes clouds etc. stand out better. The two protective lenses interchange on the smaller and larger lenses, and are cheap insurance against damaging the zoom lenses..

The Canon takes noticably better pictures than my iphone5. Out hunting, I generally carry it with just the larger zoom length on it, leaving everything else either at home or in camp.

Oh yeah, HAVE A GREAT HUNT!

Last edited by las; 08/31/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well, how'd it go??

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
How'd your hunt go?
It was a bit warm in the Kootenays for my hunt and the bulls weren't rutting during the day. Still saw 6 bulls, but saw the largest on day 2 and 3 and turned them down. Ended up shooting a nice meat bull on day 8 after the weather turned warm and foggy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Excellent!

Any luck on the goat front?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Excellent!

Any luck on the goat front?

FC

Saw several, but no big billies. If I had shot the biggest moose I saw on day 2, I could have probably gotten a nice goat, but I was holding out for a really big moose. Saw 4 or more black bear each day, no grizzlies or wolf though.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
How'd your hunt go?
It was a bit warm in the Kootenays for my hunt and the bulls weren't rutting during the day. Still saw 6 bulls, but saw the largest on day 2 and 3 and turned them down. Ended up shooting a nice meat bull on day 8 after the weather turned warm and foggy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Who were you hunting with in B.C. you mention the kootenays, that is a nice looking bull
if taking there. Looks like you may have taken him right on a landing for the trees look cut.
Congrats

Last edited by stew; 10/03/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kodiakisland, that moose looks mighty fine from here. Congrats!

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stew
How'd your hunt go?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Who were you hunting with in B.C. you mention the kootenays, that is a nice looking bull
if taking there. Looks like you may have taken him right on a landing for the trees look cut.
Congrats

I was hunting north of Revelstoke with Brian Glaicar. I passed on a bigger bull several times because it had only 2 brow tines and looked almost exactly like the bull I killed several years ago with Steven Leuenberger farther south.
It was on the edge of a fresh cut almost at tree line. The fog was so thick we had to go 4000ft above the lake just to hunt in the clear.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
How'd your hunt go?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Congrats

I was hunting north of Revelstoke with Brian Glaicar. I passed on a bigger bull several times because it had only 2 brow tines and looked almost exactly like the bull I killed several years ago with Steven Leuenberger farther south.
It was on the edge of a fresh cut almost at tree line. The fog was so thick we had to go 4000ft above the lake just to hunt in the clear.

Thanks, ya he gets some nice bulls in his area, any pictures you can share from the one out of Leuenbergers area. That is one of the problems
with some of the moose in this country Good brows are hard to find lots are just forks or singles.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Thanks, ya he gets some nice bulls in his area, any pictures you can share from the one out of Leuenbergers area. That is one of the problems
with some of the moose in this country Good brows are hard to find lots are just forks or singles.

This is my bull with Steven: http://ramcreek.ca/index.php/hunts/alias-2.php
It was over 50 inches and scored well, but those 2 brow tines...
The bigger one I saw at Brians looked almost exactly like it. I was thinking it when Brian said the same thing to me. He has some really good bulls in his area so we held out for something bigger. The one I shot is certainly a nice bull, but nothing like what his area can produce.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Morning of Sept 12th, I will be leaving Boise, headed north to the Liard River Hotsprings area to hunt with Gunson Outfitters for Moose and Caribou. Excited is an understatement - other than the 31 hour drive...lol This is a remote horseback hunt near the Yukon border. Will focus on a big Trophy moose, but also have wolf and caribou tags. Been tweaking my gear list and since I am driving will have the flexibility to leave extra/non needed stuff in my truck at camp once we head out. But for now, Here is my updated Gear List:

CLOTHES
KUIU 130 ZIP – 1
UA Sliding shorts – 3
UA Heat Gear Base – 2
Teton Pants – 1
Phantom Attack Pants – 1
Peloton Zip – 1
Teton Shell Coat – 1
Teton Rain gear Set – 1
Kuiu guide beanie - 1
Kuiu Gators – 1
Killik Gloves – 1
KUIU/UA Socks - 4
Leather belt
Hounds Camp Shoes

Scope – Leupold VXR 2-7X33, Warne Steel Rings/Mounts, allen key for just in case
GPS – Garmin 650
Pack – KUIU 3200
KUIU Pack Rain fly
Camera – Samsung Digital
Pad – Big Agnes
Mos. Repellent
Costco Baby Wipes
Moleskin
Sat Phone – renting one
First Aid Kit
8x10 tarp
Paracord – 100 feet
Book to read

Chest Freezer in back of truck with Honda 2000 generator to bring meat back home.

How did the hunt go and how did the gear list work out?

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

CLOTHES
KUIU 130 ZIP – 1
UA Sliding shorts – 3
UA Heat Gear Base – 2
Teton Pants – 1
Phantom Attack Pants – 1
Peloton Zip – 1
Teton Shell Coat – 1
Teton Rain gear Set – 1
Kuiu guide beanie - 1
Kuiu Gators – 1
Killik Gloves – 1
KUIU/UA Socks - 4
Leather belt
Hounds Camp Shoes

GPS – Garmin 650
Pack – KUIU 3200
KUIU Pack Rain fly
Camera – Samsung Digital
Pad – Big Agnes
Mos. Repellent
Costco Baby Wipes
Moleskin
Sat Phone – renting one
First Aid Kit
8x10 tarp
Paracord – 100 feet
Book to read

How did your hunt go? Got less than a month and I'm headed up.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
[]
How did your hunt go? Got less than a month and I'm headed up.

Who are you hunting with?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Paul Lowry outta Anaheim lake. Hunted mountain caribou with him 10 years ago, killed a great bull. Small outfit, he's the outfitter, guide, wrangled, cook. Runs a pretty solid outfit.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
Paul Lowry outta Anaheim lake. Hunted mountain caribou with him 10 years ago, killed a great bull. Small outfit, he's the outfitter, guide, wrangled, cook. Runs a pretty solid outfit.

Is that in or near any recent fires?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
20 miles was the closest, were gtg. I'm hunting the last week.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good luck! hope you have a great hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks he's killed a couple decent bulls already. Claims he likes the late butter for both opportunity and quality. Well see.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.