O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by milespatton
When I bought my Tacoma back in 2011, I think, some came with synthetic and some with regular motor oil. The ones with synthetic recommended 10,000 miles while the ones with regular was 5,000. When I bought my Tundra in 2015, it came with synthetic but the recommended mileage was 5,000 miles. I don't quite understand why, as everyone that I have talked to had no problems with the 10,000 miles oil change. miles

Flex Fuel Engines are recommended a 5k oil change. I do not have that engine.

Flex Fuel or 4x4's are recommended for 5K oil changes, the only tundra that get a 10K change is the 2wd non-flex fuel.

Mobil 1 is cheap and it takes 15 minutes to change the oil and filter. Just do the 5000 mile changes.

I have a 2017 5.7 4WD 4x4 and looking at maintenance schedule and model number it is a 10k interval. I am still a little leery of Amsoil, will use Mobil 1 or Penzoil Ultra at 5k intervals.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 08/28/17.
GB2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by milespatton
When I bought my Tacoma back in 2011, I think, some came with synthetic and some with regular motor oil. The ones with synthetic recommended 10,000 miles while the ones with regular was 5,000. When I bought my Tundra in 2015, it came with synthetic but the recommended mileage was 5,000 miles. I don't quite understand why, as everyone that I have talked to had no problems with the 10,000 miles oil change. miles

What engines did your 2011 and 2015 models have? My 2013 has the 4.6 L

You mean 4.0 ?

No. 2013 4.6 liter V8, 4X4 doublecab. Full synthetic oil from factory. Owners manual recommended oil change schedule every 10,000 miles.

My mistake, I did not read the part where it was a Tundra , I thought it was a Tacoma.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Taco had the V6, and the Tundra has the large V8. I lose interest when they start putting the stuff in metric. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have a 2011 Tundra 4WD with the non flex fuel 5.7 liter and the manual calls for 6 month or 5k oil changes. In 2012 they changed to 10k intervals for the non flex fuel engines. I changed the oil 2x a year until the powertrain warranty was expired as I only put between 6 - 8k per year on the truck. I now plan to do yearly changes with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. December will mark be the first full year of trying this and I plan to run a UOA through Blackstone just to see what the used oil looks like.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 08/28/17.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 4 cyl tacoma come with synthetic 10k The 4.0 uses regular oil and the interval is 5k. My wife leases a Mercedes suv and the oil interval is 10,000 The service manager told me extensive testing shows 10k is absolutely no problem. I am and old guy and when I was younger it was 3k lol

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Most here are throwing away good oil. Fact. But, if it makes you feel better, do it. Synthetics with a 5k filter change works well.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I ran Amsoil with 10k intervals from 40k miles up until I sold my Frontier a week or so ago with 128k miles. Sent the oil off for analysis every change to an independent lab (Blackstone) and the results always came back looking good. Never had a desire to go over 10k miles but was told in several of their reports I could go further. The key to extended drain intervals is a good filter as much as it is good oil.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn't be afraid to change oil at 10K with a filter change at 5K with any synthetic. In fact that is probably conservative and I've been doing that for a while. There are guys over at tacomaworld that have over 400,000 miles on some rigs using that schedule.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
I wouldn't be afraid to change oil at 10K with a filter change at 5K with any synthetic. In fact that is probably conservative and I've been doing that for a while. There are guys over at tacomaworld that have over 400,000 miles on some rigs using that schedule.

I would not have a problem with that either. The thing holds 7 1/2 quarts .

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
A guy at work has a Dodge diesel and he goes 25k on his oil changes using Amsoil. He has almost 300k on the engine with no issues and he has sent samples in to get tested.

And I've got 385K on my dodge diesel with shell rotella T dino oil

Amsoil is a scam, I wouldn't use it on a bet.

Dad has the 2007 Dmax. He is retired, and spends a lot of time researching on the internet. He came across the Amsoil scam also. Wanted to go full synthetic so he could go longer intervals between changes. Changed the oil and filter, and cranked it up. Few minutes later, he could here a distinct tapping sound. It hadn't left the drive way yet. Dropped the brand new Amsoil out, put a new filter, and went back with the Delo. No more tapping. This truck is babied, and my old man is anal retentive when it comes to maintenance. I hope he buys a new one soon. I really want his "old" one. He deleted the 9th injector, and put a thru exhaust on it. Has the programmer for the delete also. Also did a reroute of the PCV so it doesn't go back thru the turbo. Man does that truck run..

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no 9th injector on the LMM (2007.5 -2010) for the DPF.

Amsoil is not a scam but rather some people are just not able to change with the times.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

Amsoil is not a scam but rather some people are just not able to change with the times.

It's NOT a 2007.5. It's a 2007. The 9th injector was straight into the catylatic converter. My dad's truck does not and has never run on DEF/DPF. When the truck would go into the "clean" mode, you could watch the gas mileage drop significantly. It would shoot raw diesel into the exhaust to "clean" the converter. Hence the 9th injector.

The Amsoil deal with his truck was as stated. Didn't work for him.. YMMV

Clyde

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2007 had the LBZ with no DPF, thus no regen or 9th injector.

2007.5-2010 was the LMM with DPF and 9th. If it isn't a 2007.5 he has the only LBZ made in the world with a DPF.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BLG
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

It's NOT a 2007.5. It's a 2007. The 9th injector was straight into the catylatic converter. My dad's truck does not and has never run on DEF/DPF. When the truck would go into the "clean" mode, you could watch the gas mileage drop significantly. It would shoot raw diesel into the exhaust to "clean" the converter. Hence the 9th injector.

The Amsoil deal with his truck was as stated. Didn't work for him.. YMMV

Clyde

Since you believe that fuel is delivered to the cat via this 9th injector to clean the cat then it makes sense that amsoil caused the truck to make a tapping sound. Wow

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The fact that you DON'T know about how the fuel is injected straight into the cat is telling. The amsoil issue was exactly as stated. The oil did not perform well. It obviously didn't work in his truck. The 9th injector is actually slang term. But if you think that fuel isn't injected directly into the cat, then I can't help you. Now, do you want to tell me again that a truck that has never run on DEF, runs on DEF???? Hint,,,,,it's not a 2007.5

Well I stand corrected. It is a 2007.5. It HAD the DPF that had the 9th injector. My apologies. He had it removed. In my haste, I correlated DPF with DEF. My bad.

But the Amsoil still sucks. grin

Clyde

Last edited by BLG; 08/29/17. Reason: Bone headed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't comment on Amsoil, but can comment on extended oil changes running full synthetic. Have had two high mileage E-class Mercedes, factory recommended oil change is 10-12k using Mobil 1. Had 220k on one vehicle before it was totaled, engine still ran like a top. Have 170k on the other one and it runs like new. Had an 06 cummins that I went 15k on oil changes 7.5k on filters using mobil 1, at 150k it ran like new.

I have no qualms with extended oil changes running a quality full synthetic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Annually, my Wife and I each put an average of 15,000+/- mile on our daily drivers and change the oil on the same 6,000+/- mile interval that I rotate the tires. I could probably extend the oil change intervals, but I'm old, rather set in my ways, and don't mind spending a little more money if it buys peace of mind.

I put a lot fewer miles on my occasional use Explorer Sport Trac, Nissan Frontier, and Jeep Grand Cherokee and change the oil at either 6,000+/- miles or annually if they don't reach 6,000+/- miles since the last oil change.

I use Mobil 1 in whatever viscosity and style the manufacturer recommends.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Gabillion oil threads on places that discuss engines.

Most posts are irrelevent. Unless you have high miles or blow early, who cares.

Addng to the no one cares lists, I do use premum oil. I figure small % of cost, and I can afford it. If I coulnd't I would not.

How many people junk vehicles cause engines fai? I got one 200k and another 150, which are nothing these days. Engines typically are not the failure point, I suspect. You get tired of nickel and time. Rust is an issue in my area.

I drive 200 miles a day. Sometimes spread between trucks and bikes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Zerk
Gabillion oil threads on places that discuss engines.

Most posts are irrelevent. Unless you have high miles or blow early, who cares.

Addng to the no one cares lists, I do use premum oil. I figure small % of cost, and I can afford it. If I coulnd't I would not.

How many people junk vehicles cause engines fai? I got one 200k and another 150, which are nothing these days. Engines typically are not the failure point, I suspect. You get tired of nickel and time. Rust is an issue in my area.

All this is true. Engine wear nowadays is rarely the reason to get rid of a car, everything else starts going before the engine. I'm a high mileage driver too, I drive 250 miles to work one way and keep a car specifically for that purpose, the last two have been toyota camrys and the one before it a honda civic. I traded the civic to a guy in return for some work around my place when it had 275,000 miles on it and traded in the previous camry on a new one when it had 299,700 miles. Both the civic and the camry were running fine but little things were starting to break and I wasn't keen on relying upon a 300,000 mile plus vehicle as my primary work transportation. Both those vehicles got 5000 miles oil changes with dino oil and never had an oil related problem. The newest camry I'm driving now came with synthetic and recommended 10,000 mile change intervals so that's what it gets, mobil 1 at 10,000 miles. I fully expect it to go fine to 300,000 miles when I'll probably trade it on a new one.

All these oil threads are fun, but really just look in the manufacturer's book and change it at the recommend interval with quality oil in the grade/type they recommend and you'll be fine. Skip all the wonder products promising to do everything including bake you a cake like Amsoil and K&N filters. General rule is if it comes with a sticker for your back window it's targeted at the boy racer crowd and best avoided.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If interested in long drains I would trust Mobil way before Amsoil... for starters actually manufactures oil and additives, Amsoil doesnt.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/30/17.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.