Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Moose don't jump or climb thru fences, they just push until the fence gives away if their not in a hurry when they are they just tear it down. only critter that worse here in the U.S. is Bison, they don't even slow down for a 5 strand barb wire fence.

Rio7

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7
Moose don't jump or climb thru fences, they just push until the fence gives away if their not in a hurry when they are they just tear it down. only critter that worse here in the U.S. is Bison, they don't even slow down for a 5 strand barb wire fence.

Rio7

Sounds like you have experience with bison too... wink

That parallels mine.

Bison weren't meant to be fenced. They prove it often.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RIO7

Rio7

Yup! From the looks of things here that's very true.

Blanket,

Yes fences I started are all done. When I can I need to get back up here and fix lots more. Leaving for home in morning. Gotta check things out since we had like 16" of rain from thet hurricane.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/30/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Home. Went out and found my old 40+ y o pair of fencin' pliers. They were right there in my fence repair bucket. They are marked "Craftsman. England". Remember when I got em. Gonna see me up a leather scabbard for my belt. Gonna havta practice that splice now! Thanks compadres for all the input. Also gonna watch for some old antique tools too!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 4000 acres of 50-60 year old fence. Come practice all ya want.......

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I have 4000 acres of 50-60 year old fence. Come practice all ya want.......

Two years ago I went north of Punkin Center and help fence a full section of state leased land.That was enough practice for me.When I splice, I take the two ends and over lap about 18" so I have 36 " of wire .I clamp in the center with a set of vise grips and then twist one end tight wrapped over the opposite wire for the18"and repeat on the other end the opposite twist That way,the wire is not doubled back on itself. In my old age, if the fence breaks,I buy a turnbuckle, put it on each end of the break, twist the wire back a few turns and tighten the turnbuckle. Smaller place than a lot, but the 4 strand I put up 40 years ago is still tight except I had to replace a few post so far

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Kaywoodie if you want a handy leather pouch for your fence pliers check out the case that Mooremaker sells. It is leather and you can slide it up the back bullet on your saddle. Real handy!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Huntsman! LOL! I've still got lots of fence to mend or rebuild. Not near as old as your stuff! Lots of deadfall in the NW corner! But I sure appreciate the offer! laugh

Saddlesore, thats basically what I started to do. Like others stated. Does take stress off the bend! Makes for a better splice too!

45_100, thanks. Was looking at their stuff again other night. Got lots Of leather here. Gonna try to fabricate something!

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The vamp, or top of an old worn out pair of western boots makes a very good fencing tool bag, I hang mine on the handle bars of my 4 wheeler or in my jeep, beats the hell out of carrying all your tools on a belt, and you can hang it on a fence post were you are working. don't know how to post pic's or I would post one. Rio7

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.