Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
.... but discovered the advantages of the slightly longer cartridges and action when fumbling to reload with fingers that have all the dexterity of frozen hot dogs. Mostly, it doesn't matter, but when it matters, it matters!

Klik, I'm not there yet BUT I can tell it's coming. Separating papers, picking up a dime on linoleum etc.

I think you made a good point for us ELDER gunners.

Jerry

It's not only arthritic problems either. -20º F has a way of doing the same to anyone, not a fun scenario when the object might be a departing wolf or something.

I still like the short action rifles, but know that fast reloading favors a bigger opening for the top stuffers.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have yet to weigh a short and long action of the same make/design and find more than a 4-ounce difference. This includes NULA's, Remington 700's, Savages, and post-'64 Winchester Model 70's. This is 1/4 pound, which is often less than wood stocks vary in weight. The reason some (not all) .308's weigh considerably less than .30-06 is due to other factors than action length.

If you compare different rifles, yeah, some .308's kick more than some .30-06's. In the same model of rifle the .308 will recoil noticeably lighter, despite weighing 1/4 pound less.

If somebody wants to use 200-220 grain bullets they're probably better off with the .30-06, but there's very little reason to for most big game hunting. Have seen plenty of big game animals up to "elk size" killed with the .308, and with today's 150-180 grain bullets there's no discernible difference. This is partly because the .308 beats the original muzzle velocities of the .30-06--velocities that resulted in the .30-06's great reputation on big game, back when iron sights were the norm.

At one point a number of years ago I owned six .30-06's, but finally realized I mostly hunted with one, the NULA I've used on more big game than any of my other rifles over the past 20 years. It's probably the most accurate .30-06 sporter I've ever shot, but have owned several .308's that were more accurate--and cost far less. Based on considerable time with Melvin Forbes, I'd guess he'd agree that on average .308's shoot more accurately than his .30-06's.

Part of accuracy, however, is how easy it is to get certain cartridges to shoot well. This is a controversial subject, because some shooters don't believe in "inherent accuracy." Others do. I've written more than one article about this subject, but David Tubb says the .308 is among the 3-4 cartridges easiest to get to shoot very accurately.

Right now my only .30-06 is the NULA. It's not only accurate but a great travel rifle, partly because ammunition that works well on big game can be bought anywhere ammo can be purchased. Due to the superb synthetic stock, and titanium nitride metal coating, it's also weather-proof.

But I also own several .308's, and hunt with them more and more, because they do the same things on 99% of the world's big game without kicking as hard. Despite my semi-advanced age I'm still not particularly recoil sensitive, but don't see any reason to get kicked harder if there's no reason.

The heaviest of my .308's is a pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweight weighing 7-1/2 pounds with scope, but my favorite is my Merkel single-shot, which despite its fancy walnut, weighs exactly the same as my NULA .30-06. In neither the Model 70 or Merkel rifle is "action length" a factor. Instead, they just shoot well and kick less than the NULA. I won't ever sell the NULA, and will still pick it for a lot of hunting, but the instances it's chambering would work noticeably better than any of the .308's would be very rare indeed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Both are great. I own a few .308s and a few more .30-06s and shoot them when I have time. But, when it's time for serious hunting, I grab a .300 Mag. I have a lot fewer .300s than .308/.30-06 rifles because my .300s are serious hunting rifles. I can't tell that the increase in recoil affects my shooting because they are all three in a similar category to me and I don't notice a difference in shooting style until .338 and up. Regarding a choice between the two, I would go .30-06 over .308, though superstitiously the .30-06 has always seemed unlucky to me. All that is me and you may be different so make your choice and roll with it. There is not a bad option here.

Edit to add, I just realized which forum this is and am not a gunwriter. My mistake.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/29/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer always lays it out there so well and does so without hurling childish insults at cartridges and the people who use them. Acting like an adult isn't for everyone on here obviously though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The featherweight will kick like a 30-06 even though you got a 308.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Mule Deer always lays it out there so well and does so without hurling childish insults at cartridges and the people who use them. Acting like an adult isn't for everyone on here obviously though.

Lighten up Francis. Just can't joke around on here without somebody getting their panties all in a wad . Sheesh.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

The 7.62 is still in use by everyone. We ran a lot of 7.62's through our Medium Machine Guns and quite a lot from the SCARS. The 7.62 is alive and well within the US Military.

Thanks S.

I was referring to the individual rifles BUT I'm glad they're using the 30 cal more than I knew.
Currently I don't know anyone personally in the military.

Thnx Again

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mtnsnake,

I've also owned a pre-'64 Featherweight .30-06, and shot it considerably with various loads. With the same-weight scope, in the same Weaver mounts, it weighed exactly the same as my .308 Featherweight, and to me it kicked noticeably more.

Due to the laws of physics, rifles that use more powder to drive bullets of the same weight to higher velocities generate more recoil. But this is the Campfire, where personal opinions often count more than physical reality, so thanks for your opinion.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the OP is generally tired of his under-performing 30-06, then its a good time to consider something else like the .308Win.. There is a wide variety of great 150 gr. and 165 gr. factory loads he can choose from for his next elk hunt. Just consider the platform you desire and the dollar value you want to stay under. May be a great time to try a RAR too.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 08/29/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mtnsnake,

I've also owned a pre-'64 Featherweight .30-06, and shot it considerably with various loads. With the same-weight scope, in the same Weaver mounts, it weighed exactly the same as my .308 Featherweight, and to me it kicked noticeably more.

Yeah well, like I said before I personally could never tell the difference in like rifles. About all I could tell is that both kicked alot less than my 12 gauge Ithaca 37 Deerslayer with slugs and more than my .243. The 270, .308 and .30-06 all feel about the same to me. Guess I just ain't sensitive enough.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike, I'm sure you understand but for those that don't.

I'm not a 308 hater. It's not my cartridge of choice. I've had 1 but that was many moons ago.
I'm a 270 or 7 mm RM guy. Between the 06 and 308 Win, I prefer the 06. I like the feel and balance of LA
and as a handloader IMO the 06 does better w/180s and heavier bullets.

I have been pulling Mike's chain and he knew that. A friendly gouge so to speak.

Beside you 308 guys leave more 06 brass for me ! grin

I'm not a 308 hater....

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackheart,

Then you should shoot whatever you want.

But my wife started getting recoil headaches a few years ago. Before then she shot a couple of very light .30-06's and an even lighter .270 ,along with light 12 gauges using magnum ammo, without any problem. (I might also mention that she had no trouble shooting a .416 Remington Magnum accurately, though she had no reason to hunt with one.) After the recoil headaches started, she had to start using lighter-recoiling cartridges. Among them was the .308 with 150-grain bullets at about 2800 fps, with which she's killed a bunch of big game up to 800 pounds.

More recently she had to drop down a little more, and her most recent elk dropped quickly to a 100-grain Barnes TSX from a .257 Roberts. She's also used 20-gauge shotguns to kill plenty of Canada geese and wild turkeys, with no problems, and her very light 28-gauge double on a bunch of wild pheasants.

People react differently to recoil. You may not believe that, but like recoil physics, it's reality.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh I believe it. I know by calculation the .308 recoils a little less. It's just that within the range of say 15-22 ft lbs. I can't PERSONALLY tell the difference. I frequently shoot with my brothers and sons and they also agree that they can't tell enough difference between .308, .30-06 and .270 to say so.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is always what it boils down to. Most responses on the Campfire are PERSONAL, because 99% of humanity is incapable of accepting (let alone learning from) that other people experience life differently.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
mtnsnake,

I've also owned a pre-'64 Featherweight .30-06, and shot it considerably with various loads. With the same-weight scope, in the same Weaver mounts, it weighed exactly the same as my .308 Featherweight, and TO ME it kicked noticeably more.
Yep, " to me" sounds personal. Your personal experience is no more valid than mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by beretzs

The 7.62 is still in use by everyone. We ran a lot of 7.62's through our Medium Machine Guns and quite a lot from the SCARS. The 7.62 is alive and well within the US Military.

Thanks S.

I was referring to the individual rifles BUT I'm glad they're using the 30 cal more than I knew.
Currently I don't know anyone personally in the military.

Thnx Again

Jerry

My son has been trained on the SAW in 7.62 NATO. I believe it is the Mk 48. He said it is an awesome weapon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He also said the M-14 is being reissued for certain situations.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackheart,

Actually, no.

I spend considerable time observing hundreds of other people shooting, not just at the range but in the field. Which is exactly why I can make observations about how other people react to recoil, and other factors, not just my own reactions.

I've spent over 40 years being a professional journalist, which means observing and analyzing not just my personal experiences, but those of others. Your posts are always about your own experiences. This doesn't mean they're invalid, but does mean they're only valid to one person among the over 7 billion humans on earth.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Expat, since you primarily shoot factory loads, I'd go 308.

Having owned a fair pile of each, I've found the 308 generally a bit more accurate, particularly with factory ammo. It also is loaded hotter than the 30-06, and will generally equal it.

Handloaded, I think the 30-06 handles 180 and 200 grain bullets better than the 308, but even a 180 at 2,630 from a 308 is nothing to sneeze at. Having killed a fair bit of the same game with both, I can't say I've ever seen any difference, and it would likely take several lifetimes to attempt to find any.

In identical rifles, loaded to their full potential, I find the 308 kicks noticeably less.

Reading between the lines, I think your gut is telling you to go 308...

My current .30-06 elk load features a 150 grain bullet. The .308 launches 150s at 2800-2900 and 165s at 2700-2800. I keep thinking, "What can't I do to an elk with a Partition or Accubond at those speeds?"

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have yet to weigh a short and long action of the same make/design and find more than a 4-ounce difference. This includes NULA's, Remington 700's, Savages, and post-'64 Winchester Model 70's. This is 1/4 pound, which is often less than wood stocks vary in weight. The reason some (not all) .308's weigh considerably less than .30-06 is due to other factors than action length.

If you compare different rifles, yeah, some .308's kick more than some .30-06's. In the same model of rifle the .308 will recoil noticeably lighter, despite weighing 1/4 pound less.

If somebody wants to use 200-220 grain bullets they're probably better off with the .30-06, but there's very little reason to for most big game hunting. Have seen plenty of big game animals up to "elk size" killed with the .308, and with today's 150-180 grain bullets there's no discernible difference. This is partly because the .308 beats the original muzzle velocities of the .30-06--velocities that resulted in the .30-06's great reputation on big game, back when iron sights were the norm.

At one point a number of years ago I owned six .30-06's, but finally realized I mostly hunted with one, the NULA I've used on more big game than any of my other rifles over the past 20 years. It's probably the most accurate .30-06 sporter I've ever shot, but have owned several .308's that were more accurate--and cost far less. Based on considerable time with Melvin Forbes, I'd guess he'd agree that on average .308's shoot more accurately than his .30-06's.

Part of accuracy, however, is how easy it is to get certain cartridges to shoot well. This is a controversial subject, because some shooters don't believe in "inherent accuracy." Others do. I've written more than one article about this subject, but David Tubb says the .308 is among the 3-4 cartridges easiest to get to shoot very accurately.

Right now my only .30-06 is the NULA. It's not only accurate but a great travel rifle, partly because ammunition that works well on big game can be bought anywhere ammo can be purchased. Due to the superb synthetic stock, and titanium nitride metal coating, it's also weather-proof.

But I also own several .308's, and hunt with them more and more, because they do the same things on 99% of the world's big game without kicking as hard. Despite my semi-advanced age I'm still not particularly recoil sensitive, but don't see any reason to get kicked harder if there's no reason.

The heaviest of my .308's is a pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweight weighing 7-1/2 pounds with scope, but my favorite is my Merkel single-shot, which despite its fancy walnut, weighs exactly the same as my NULA .30-06. In neither the Model 70 or Merkel rifle is "action length" a factor. Instead, they just shoot well and kick less than the NULA. I won't ever sell the NULA, and will still pick it for a lot of hunting, but the instances it's chambering would work noticeably better than any of the .308's would be very rare indeed.

Many thanks. I'm comfortable with .308 performance. One thing that appeals to me about the .308 is the number of posters that mention its inherent accuracy. I think part of this is because my .30-06's accuracy is inconsistent. I'm drawn to the potential for a consistently higher level of accuracy.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.