Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12237935 08/29/17
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I should have said over lubing. I resized 40 pieces of brass last night. Using a RCBS Lube pad and RCBS Case Lube 2. After 20 Remington and 20 Winchester, both were lubed the in the same fashion. But 19 of the Winchester's had dents in the shoulder/neck after resizing.

There seems to be a fine line between too much and just right. Is there a better product so I don't keep wrecking brass? Or do I just need to use less?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I recently tried the Hornady wax lube that comes in the small tub. Some say it is very similar to Imperial that I've never tried. A little goes a long way, and it worked great.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Imperial or similar is still my favorite way to roll, after trying One-Shot and the RCBS Lube pad as alternatives. A little on the fingertips goes a long way and no more dents.

Now with even more aplomb
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just rub it on the cases?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put a bunch of casings in a zip loc bag, add a good spray of Hornady One Shot, shake, rattle and roll, resize. Simple as that.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I recently tried the Hornady wax lube that comes in the small tub. Some say it is very similar to Imperial that I've never tried. A little goes a long way, and it worked great.

I haven't used the Hornady in a long time, but I remember it as feeling like softened butter. The Imperial feels like Kiwi shoe polish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I should have said over lubing. I resized 40 pieces of brass last night. Using a RCBS Lube pad and RCBS Case Lube 2. After 20 Remington and 20 Winchester, both were lubed the in the same fashion. But 19 of the Winchester's had dents in the shoulder/neck after resizing.

There seems to be a fine line between too much and just right. Is there a better product so I don't keep wrecking brass? Or do I just need to use less?

You're using too much & your technique might be making it worse also.

When you apply the case lube to the pad, you need to take a finger & rub it well into the pad; less & more frequent re-lubing is better.

Also, when you roll the cases (when I was using the RCBS pad, I would usually from do 4-6 cases at a time), apply most of the pressure to the rim/base area of the cases; applying the finger / hand pressure too much to the neck half of the case can easily press the shoulder into the pad too hard & over lube that area.

For all but the most demanding cases today, I mostly use Hornady One Shot & if I need more oomph, I use Imperial.

One shot is for all my high volume reloading & I just put the cases in a loading tray & spray from all 4 sides on about a 45-60 degree down angle.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just rub it on the cases?

Yep, the upper half of the case anyway. And if an expander ball is dragging and making sizing difficult when lowering the ram on the press, a q-tip with a very light coat of wax can be run around the inside of the neck of the occasional case and it will reduce the friction.

Now with even more aplomb
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
How about the dry lube on the inside of the neck?

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

You're using too much & your technique might be making it worse also.

When you apply the case lube to the pad, you need to take a finger & rub it well into the pad; less & more frequent re-lubing is better.

Also, when you roll the cases (when I was using the RCBS pad, I would usually from do 4-6 cases at a time), apply most of the pressure to the rim/base area of the cases; applying the finger / hand pressure too much to the neck half of the case can easily press the shoulder into the pad too hard & over lube that area.

For all but the most demanding cases today, I mostly use Hornady One Shot & if I need more oomph, I use Imperial.

One shot is for all my high volume reloading & I just put the cases in a loading tray & spray from all 4 sides on about a 45-60 degree down angle.

MM

For sure I used too much. I put 5 at a time on the pad and rolled them on the pad.

I suspect you're right. I probably pushed too much near the shoulder. I just put my hand on them and rolled em on the pad. I'll use less pressure next time and put it towards the rim.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use the Imperial dry lube inside the neck, but I don't size with an expander ball. I expand the necks in a separate step using a mandrel holder die.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dry lube on the neck doesn't work well for me, I get a lot of friction on the exp and concentricity shows it. The best method I've found for lubing cases is imperial on the outside and Lee's lube inside the neck. I personally don't like petro based lubes inside the neck, which is why I use the water based Lee lube. I take a dab of the Lee lube and coat a Qtip well, then make a couple rounds in each case(Usually 4-5 cases then reapply a little lube to the Qtip). A tube of Lee lube will last for many thousand cases. The Lee actually works well on the entire case as well, but imperial is easier with a more slicky trip through the die.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Dry lube on the neck doesn't work well for me, I get a lot of friction on the exp and concentricity shows it. The best method I've found for lubing cases is imperial on the outside and Lee's lube inside the neck. I personally don't like petro based lubes inside the neck, which is why I use the water based Lee lube. I take a dab of the Lee lube and coat a Qtip well, then make a couple rounds in each case(Usually 4-5 cases then reapply a little lube to the Qtip). A tube of Lee lube will last for many thousand cases. The Lee actually works well on the entire case as well, but imperial is easier with a more slicky trip through the die.

That's what I'm avoiding by pushing the mandrel into, rather than pulling the ball out of, the neck during expansion.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

That's what I'm avoiding by pushing the mandrel into, rather than pulling the ball out of, the neck during expansion.

I can see that working fine. On dies that decrease the neck too much with certain brass thickness, I expand in a separate step and it greatly helps concentricity. When you say mandrel, are you referring to Lee's collet mandrel? I haven't tried my Collets for expanding, but man do they produce straight necks(Heck of a combo when paired with a Redding Body Die for an occasional bump). When the die/neck thickness/exp Dia all jive well, the Lee lube does quite well for concentricity. Definitely more lubricity than mica.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use Lyman M-dies or a mandrel holder die from a neck turning set.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Imperial dry lube beats mica to death too.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Imperial sizing wax is the best, just put a little on. RCBS lube is too thick. I had dents with it too, but they disappear when you pull the trigger.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Imperial sizing wax is the best, just put a little on. RCBS lube is too thick. I had dents with it too, but they disappear when you pull the trigger.

Is it safe to do that? Cool if it is!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes it is safe, they blow right out.

I suppose it might be possible to have dents that are so large they cause headspace. But I doubt that is possible since I've never managed to do it.

And Imperial or Hornady Unique are infinitely superior to the STP clone lubes.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could never avoid dents,no matter lube or technique, until i tried Imperial.

A little on my pointer finger, spin the case. After your finger and thumb get
coated, you can do about 3 cases per wipe in the wax can. If you start stretching
it too far, you will feel the friction increase in the die. That will not be close to sticking

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.