Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Put a bunch of casings in a zip loc bag, add a good spray of Hornady One Shot, shake, rattle and roll, resize. Simple as that.

This ^^ Works well with any liquid lube and none is wasted.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
HR IC

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by hanco
Imperial sizing wax is the best, just put a little on. RCBS lube is too thick. I had dents with it too, but they disappear when you pull the trigger.

+1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A little Imperial on my thumb and forefinger, give easc case a roll between my fingers on the way to the shell holder and no more problems.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just a light film of lube will save you a bunch of grief, I've switched to lanolin and alcohol almost exclusively.
Imperial is still great for case forming 6mm up to .30 or 6mm down to .22. I've got a couple oddball cartridges...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used a pad and RCBS Case Lube 2 with mica for the neck ever since the lube was updated to the -2 formula. A quick rinse in water to remove the lube and a few hours in the sun or a low level heat source and they are ready to fill again.

As mentioned, a little bit of lube rubbed thoroughly in the pad goes a long way. Little pressure is needed when lubing the first cases. Pressure is increased as the lube is used. That little bottle will work on thousands of cases. It's been many years since I had a lube dent.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tzone
I should have said over lubing. I resized 40 pieces of brass last night. Using a RCBS Lube pad and RCBS Case Lube 2. After 20 Remington and 20 Winchester, both were lubed the in the same fashion. But 19 of the Winchester's had dents in the shoulder/neck after resizing.

There seems to be a fine line between too much and just right. Is there a better product so I don't keep wrecking brass? Or do I just need to use less?

Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

Regardless of what you use, there can be a fine line before over lubing and denting case shoulders. It also depends a LOT on the dies being used. Love my Redding sizing dies but they are the touchiest about denting shoulders, RCBS are the easiest to use,, most other brands of dies are somewhere between. If Redding would just drill a damn hole in their dies like RCBS..............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just used Lyman Quick Slick for the 1st time. Very pleased, cases sized easy without any buildup in the sizing die. Up to this point I had used the LEE stuff in the tube and Unique both seem to work equally well, Lyman stuff in the "windex" bottle is a bit less work.

To be fair, I used this on some 8x57 brass(made from GI DEN 42 milsurp, tough stuff). I used the hardest brass I had to size(seems to take a little more effort than commercial 8x57), a Lyman Orange Crusher(less leverage than my LEE Classic Cast) and Lyman AA sizer(takes a bit more effort than the LEE sizer).

Anyway, only tried it 'cause it was 75% off when Gander Mountain went out, but I'll probably buy it again...if nothing else to hit the dies before and after sizing. Not really all that scientific of a test, but it smells like good oil.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Still using a foam pad and a tube of RCBS stuff I acquired in about 1963. A little bit goes a long long way. Just a roll across the pad of the cartridge or just the neck if that's all I'm sizing. I typically do every other cartridge. I can feel the lube's presence, but there's never enough to see.

Never had a dented or stuck case either.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hornady Unique Case Lube. Very light amount good for three or four cases. Reapply to fingers, do a case, sometimes skip a case, do three or four more.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by tzone
I should have said over lubing. I resized 40 pieces of brass last night. Using a RCBS Lube pad and RCBS Case Lube 2. After 20 Remington and 20 Winchester, both were lubed the in the same fashion. But 19 of the Winchester's had dents in the shoulder/neck after resizing.

There seems to be a fine line between too much and just right. Is there a better product so I don't keep wrecking brass? Or do I just need to use less?

You're using too much & your technique might be making it worse also.

When you apply the case lube to the pad, you need to take a finger & rub it well into the pad; less & more frequent re-lubing is better.

Also, when you roll the cases (when I was using the RCBS pad, I would usually from do 4-6 cases at a time), apply most of the pressure to the rim/base area of the cases; applying the finger / hand pressure too much to the neck half of the case can easily press the shoulder into the pad too hard & over lube that area.

For all but the most demanding cases today, I mostly use Hornady One Shot & if I need more oomph, I use Imperial.

One shot is for all my high volume reloading & I just put the cases in a loading tray & spray from all 4 sides on about a 45-60 degree down angle.

MM

Imperial wax if sizing a small number of cases or if I’m in a hurry. Fantastic stuff! If sizing large quantities, I use One Shot just like MM describes. Three pieces of advice when using One Shot: Shake the can well before spraying, don’t spray too much, and be sure to let it dry well before sizing. Works for me.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Hornady Unique Case Lube. Very light amount good for three or four cases. Reapply to fingers, do a case, sometimes skip a case, do three or four more.

Works like a champ for me too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you are using a lube pad it can be hard to get the right amount of lube on a case. When I used a pad I would keep a rag in my right hand and wipe the neck and shoulder area off to avoid dents. Don't worry, enough lube remains to do the job. Now, I tend to use a spray lube like Dillon and a gallon ziplock bag.

lightman
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I use the hornady case wax on the outside.
I have never lubed the inside of case necks during regular reloading, only when reforming cases do I lube inside the neck.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Imperial Die Wax outside
Graphite Powder inside

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a dab of Mink Oil for my boots. Was having issues with the spray lube, got a case stuck once in my resizing die and wrote that off. If you have some, give it a try. Never get dented shoulders, either. Good luck!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A can of imperial will last a long time!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Tag

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Neats Foot oil for full length sizing cases. It's a leather oil for saddles and such for the young chaps that may never have heard of it. An old fellow put me on to it years ago when I started reloading. I bought a one litre bottle in 1998 and have used about 100ml in all that time. It will last the rest of my life. I tend to neck size mostly. But it will still dent case shoulders if too much is used.

Last edited by Elvis; 04/28/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Imperial is the poo for rifle cases. Bulk pistol I use one shot in a ziplock. Using one shot on rifle cases is a good way to stick a case in your die.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For heavy-duty work I like STOS by Ponsness-Warren. It is a transparent grease that wipes off easily. Smear a tiny amount on the case body with your fingers. Used to use for everything but found a case-lube pad more efficient for large batches.

Recently started using Royal Case & Die Lube from Sharp Shoot R, the makers of Wipe-Out. Got a new RCBS case lube pad to give it a fair trial. Spray a sparse coat on the pad as needed. Do the spraying outdoors because it has a strong, sweet odor that can fill up your house. Works better than anything else I have tried. Can also be used as a spray-on lube as described by others.

Cheers,
Walt

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.