Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
What is the deal again? It WAS my favorite powder and you can't even backorder it at lots of places.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/30/17.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Very popular + intermittent shipping from Australia

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. It's popular because it's a very flexible powder for many common hunting chamberings and very reliable/consistent for the match/tactical crowd too.

Now with even more aplomb
J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's funny though. It used to be one of the powders that you could count on finding just about anywhere that sold powder. It was always one that they would have.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I blame Mule Deer, who's often said good things about it, increasing demand.😜

Thank goodness I glommed onto a couple pounds of RL 26 before he made that popular.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm glad I picked up an 8 lb jug that's should be just enough to last me another 10+ years...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just switch to 4451, and live easy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Probably the reason there isn't any H4350. Marketing a new powder and meeting new demand. Made by same Corp.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Probably the reason there isn't any H4350. Marketing a new powder and meeting new demand. Made by same Corp.

Distributed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

H4350 is from Thales in Australia, IMR4451 is from General Dynamics in Canada.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
6.5 CM popularity.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Too late. The 6.5 Creed fanboys have discovered it. It is "out of stock" everywhere it is sold on the internet.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I found a bunch of it in Rifle, Colorado a few months back.

H4350

Dunno if they have any left.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Very popular + intermittent shipping from Australia

As well as that, every handloader in Australia uses it. 2209 & 2208 are very popular here.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a new 8# jug of 4350. There is no possibility of using it all up before I kick off. Same with a 8 # jug of 4895. I have enough ammo loaded to last me until then end of my hunting career. Maybe I will wait until the next big shortage and sell them for $500 each.. grin

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/31/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've seen it off and on here locally. Kind of like AR Comp powder. I buy it when I see it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pappy,

Ha! Actually I've been suggesting switching to IMR4451 for more than a year now. It was also recently in short supply, which Hodgdon tells me was also due to 6.5 Creedmoor users, but is now in stock at several places. In fact I just received a recently ordered 8-pounder, even though I'd just opened another, because I'm going through 4451 like I used to go through H4350. Haven't found a cartridge/load combination yet where 4451 doesn't work as well as H4350, and in some it's worked better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Now I need to buy some 4451.

My go-to powders would then be: TAC, Varget, H4350, RL26, and maybe 4451

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience that's a pretty good list--except I'd sub 4451 for H4350, with no "maybe."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I assume this is NOT grain for grain replacement?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The main use I'd have for 4451 now would be for 90gr e-tips in my.243, but I've got a bunch of other stuff to burn up, so I may not get to to it. RL26 is looking good for 100gr and up bullets. Used 45gr under a Sierra PH last year to whack a doe, and if I get that far in my rotation, 103gr ELD-Xs over a bit more will get a turn this season in my fast-twist Number 1V. Might have to hire a crew to carry it for me, though!

Another new one I'm liking is CFE223, in the .308, and eventually maybe in the CZ Grendel that I'm picking up tomorrow. Pretty impressive, according to the data I've seen, though for some reason Hodgdon doesn't list it for that round, in the printed manual anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Distributed.

Oops, my bad you're correct.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
las,

With my present batches of H4350 and IMR4451, the 4451 is slightly faster-burning, but not much. In my 7x57 I use 46.0 grains of H4350 with 160-grain bullets, and with 4451 get the same results with 45.5. Have had similar results in other rounds, so they're pretty close--close enough that some lots may get exactly the same results, or H4350 might be slightly faster burning than 4451.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the 4451 powder measure friendly?

Thanks,

Jeff

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gun Powder and explosives can only be transported in a limited number of ships that are licensed for the task to be as unspecific as I can.
There is potential conflict in the world.
These ships need to remain unknown.

That is all anyone needs to know.

My advice is to treat powder like your booze and stock more than you need.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Seems to be some H4350 becoming more available. I bought 2lb in Sportsman's warehouse Loveland, Co. Have seen some in other stores too.

LC

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
las,

With my present batches of H4350 and IMR4451, the 4451 is slightly faster-burning, but not much. In my 7x57 I use 46.0 grains of H4350 with 160-grain bullets, and with 4451 get the same results with 45.5. Have had similar results in other rounds, so they're pretty close--close enough that some lots may get exactly the same results, or H4350 might be slightly faster burning than 4451.

Alright, John. How about a new list of your favorite 4451 recipes for the old 7x57. Inquiring minds, you know.

By the way, I've been goofing around with Hunter and 160-grain Partitions, but have some data for Big Game in loads from 100- to 175-grains. I'm planning to work up some loads using 154-gr SP at around 2600+/- to use on pigs and our dinky deer. The Ramshot powders seem to be more available than just about anything else right now.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

4451 is just as measure-friendly as H4350. It's another short-cut extruded powder.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

As I've pointed out before, 7x57's vary considerably in how much powder they'll take, due to variations in throat length. Mine custom rifle was chambered with a PT&G "target" reamer with a short throat, so doesn't need as much powder to get the same velocities as most other 7x57's. I've only tried 4451 with bullets in the 160-grain range, mostly because they all shoot to the same POI in this rifle, and 45.5 grains of 4451 gets right around 2700 fps with most bullets, from a 21-inch barrel.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Gun Powder and explosives can only be transported in a limited number of ships that are licensed for the task to be as unspecific as I can.

John

Dang, I'm way understocked on booze!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mike,

As I've pointed out before, 7x57's vary considerably in how much powder they'll take, due to variations in throat length. Mine custom rifle was chambered with a PT&G "target" reamer with a short throat, so doesn't need as much powder to get the same velocities as most other 7x57's. I've only tried 4451 with bullets in the 160-grain range, mostly because they all shoot to the same POI in this rifle, and 45.5 grains of 4451 gets right around 2700 fps with most bullets, from a 21-inch barrel.

Thanks, John. I'm aware of your caution about the differences in throats, etc., but I was just wondering of there was some correspondence between 4451 and H4350. From your H4350 recipes in "Gack" it looks like there's about a half grain.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

As I've mentioned in other posts (and in various articles and books) there is no firm relationship between different powders of very similar burn-rates, because any powder will vary slightly in burn-rate from lot to lot. IMR4350 and H4350 are a good example. When H4350 appeared, many handloaders firmly stated it was slower burning than IMR4350, and much of Hodgdon's data backed that up.

But one of the interesting side-effects of companies posting their latest data on the Internet is a clearer look at how powder lots vary. Since it was first introduced, the latest data for H4350 has been both "slower"
and "faster" than the latest data for IMR4350. This isn't a mystery, just the way powders vary over time.

Another little piece of evidence came with my first two lots of IMR4451. The first was a couple pounds sent to me by Hodgdon to try out. I liked it so well I ordered an 8-pound jug off the Internet--and discovered its burn-rate was slightly faster, not surprising since it was over a year after my first sample showed up, and the jug was a new lot. After a little more testing, I eventually mixed what remained of my first two pounds in with the jug--and not surprisingly, the mixed IMR4451 was a little slower than the jug's initial burn-rate.

What I understand from powder companies is that's exactly how new batches of powder are mixed to result in a reasonably consistent burn-rate for handloading powders. They keep some slower and faster lots of that powder on hand, so they can "adjust" the burn-rate of a new manufacturing lot.

On the other hand, many ammo companies use unmixed powders, adjusting the charge according to how the new lot burns. But they're usually boxcar loads of powder, and have pressure-testing equipment.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,

4451 is just as measure-friendly as H4350. It's another short-cut extruded powder.

Great, thanks John!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I see certain powders that I want that's not commonly found, I usually buy it and try not to look at the price tag. There's a fellow that shows up at certain gun shows that has many of these "unattainable" powders. So I try to have a couple $100 set aside for powder purchases come gun show time.

I had difficulty getting 215 primers for a while. A friend picked some up for me at the Tulsa gun show. Now I see it fairly often. Go figure.

My advice is to be prepared when you attend gun shows, the gun shows brings lots of vendors. Sometimes internet searches work too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
IMR 4350 is also hard to find, searched several stores in my area and finally found a pound at the area's largest gun show. It was the last that any of the reloading vendors had.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

John

How do people just make stuff up and then write about it with such authority? I mean, honestly.

As a matter of facts, there are none: This is totally untrue. To anyone in shipping it's just absurd.

Moving this type of cargo is a matter of commercial normality. If there are shortages of powder where you live, its just supply and demand. Containers of powder and ammunition, both military and sporting, are shipped around the world as a matter of course on standard container ships. They have only to observe the appropriate IMO standards for sea transport that anyone shipping hairspray or fishmeal does. There are restrictions only in the separation of hazardous cargo, where it can be stowed on the ship, and with some classes, in the timing at when it can be loaded or discharged. None of which impedes its transport around the globe.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 09/11/17.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

John

How do people just make stuff up and then write about it with such authority? I mean, honestly.

As a matter of facts, there are none: This is totally untrue. To anyone in shipping it's just absurd.

Moving this type of cargo is a matter of commercial normality. If there are shortages of powder where you live, its just supply and demand. Containers of powder and ammunition, both military and sporting, are shipped around the world as a matter of course on standard container ships. They have only to observe the appropriate IMO standards for sea transport that anyone shipping hairspray or fishmeal does. There are restrictions only in the separation of hazardous cargo, where it can be stowed on the ship, and with some classes, in the timing at when it can be loaded or discharged. None of which impedes its transport around the globe.

If my information is not current then I will not repeat it, but as a Aussie, commenting on an Aussie powder manufacturer exporting a product which would be a target of value in time of conflict, I simply passed on information that was communicated to me. I would also prefer to know what you state is true. It would be a safeguard we could agree to.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

John

If my information is not current then I will not repeat it, but as a Aussie, commenting on an Aussie powder manufacturer exporting a product which would be a target of value in time of conflict, I simply passed on information that was communicated to me. I would also prefer to know what you state is true. It would be a safeguard we could agree to.
John

You can be as Australian as you like, but you really shouldn't repeat that. The world is a lot more practical. (And whatever else you were told by that person needs to be reconsidered)

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

John

John

You can be as Australian as you like, but you really shouldn't repeat that. The world is a lot more practical. (And whatever else you were told by that person needs to be reconsidered)

I know some about the shipping of consumer-grade fireworks, directly from China, and some of the hoops involved. From what I could tell, regulations weren't particularly strict, and there was nothing secretive about them. They were shipped in shipping containers on a shipping vessel, and then had to be transported in specific ways once they got to the US. It didn't take much time from being notified of the shipment to receiving it on a trailer. Nothing particularly clandestine about the process, but fireworks have not been military-grade for some centuries now.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To be honest even the shipping of actual currency isn't especially secretive. (Probably so as to not draw attention.) Eighteen tons worth of twenty dollar bills...

There are things more hazardous than ADI's powders being shipped as a matter of course.

The most secretive product (apart from Naval Intelligence work in a former role) shipped around the Pacific was in fact - concrete. All involved were sworn to secrecy. It become plain to me that we were shipping thousands of tons of concrete each month to Mururoa Atoll on behalf of the French government. They must have concreted that whole island after they stopped nuclear bomb testing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
IMR 4350 is also hard to find, searched several stores in my area and finally found a pound at the area's largest gun show. It was the last that any of the reloading vendors had.

Third Generation Shooting Supply in Oklahoma has a good supply of IMR 4350 as of this morning.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CarlsenHighway,

Maybe you can confirm (or dis-confirm) what I was told by one of higher-ups in one of the corporations involved in the buying, selling and hence transporting of powders around the world.

The recent component "shortage" here in the U.S. was caused not by lower supplies of reloading components, but by high demand due to the possibility of Obama declaring who-knows-what about the purchase of guns and ammo. But demand was so high, my contact said, that the authorities in Auckland grew alarmed at so many more ships full of powder passing through their port on the way to the U.S., and ruled that no more than one powder-container ship could be in the harbor at one time. This created a bottleneck between Australia and the U.S. which made the shortage worse.

Now, maybe he didn't know what he was talking about, but since he's been employed by a major powder company for many years I don't know why he'd be confused. Since you're there, maybe you could find out something about this possibility.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John,

Each port interprets the regulations regarding the transiting of class 1 explosives through their port. Auckland in my experience is more "éxplosives aware" than others I know, even to the point of commissioning a study some time back to see what would happen if 18 tons worth of it went off. (Not good) This is because, unlike many other ports, the Auckland container terminals are not in an industrial area remote from the city, but is right in the heart of the CBD. In addition, vehicles that leave the port with hazardous goods must drive or rail right through the most built up and populous areas.

Auckland will indeed berth their vessels depending on whether they are carrying containers of class 1 explosives and will not want more than one ship alongside at one time. (They also used to work with the rule that explosives containers transiting used to have to come off and be taken to a remote part of the terminal, although I am not sure if they still do this every time.)

While this sounds like I am validating what you have been told, I must say that in reality this is not the issue it might sound like. Berthing arrangements for vessels are worked out in advance to avoid clashes like this - they are in the business of working ships after all - not delaying them. Also, this is not recent, Auckland have been handling this cargo this way for at least twenty years.

What you have been told is loosely based on truth concerning the way Port of Auckland handles their class 1 containers. Extrapolating, It is possible that Thales or ADI may not have shipped as many containers of product as they wanted to because of this.

Bear in mind, in the seafreight world it is standard practice for exporters to blame ports for shipment delays of all kinds, particularly ones in other countries. Also, not every ship from Australia to the US must go through Auckland, probably not even most of them.

Let me put it another way: No offense to your friend intended, but If Auckland Port was indeed a bottleneck greatly exacerbating the shortage of sporting powders in the USA, I am quite sure I could find a solution to that situation given the benefit only of a comfortable chair, the opportunity to take up smoking once more, and about 15 seconds worth of thought.

(Ironically enough, I went and bought some AR2209 only the day before.)

James

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 09/15/17.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
James,

Thanks very much for your info.

I do know that other factors were (and may still may be) involved in the shortage of ADI powders, though I can't discuss them on a public forum.

Good hunting,

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Found 8 lbs in a store. Gonna try it soon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
local hdwe store has 7, 1pounders and a 8 pound jug

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bought a can while in the big town to the west yesterday.

Never used it before.....but there sure is a lot of talk about it! Figured I would try some.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.