Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Interested in what brands, features, configurations, and accessories you guys consider must haves in an AR if your life was on the line and you had to depend on your rifle everyday to survive?

In other words, spec your battle rifle!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm relatively new to this. My platform's an entry level P.S.A. Now that I know what I like and don't like about this gun,the next one will be a lot more defined.

My first need is to build up what I consider to be a decent supply of ammo and mags. Next step will be better optics on this gun. Third step will be a better trigger. I also want to set up a rig to carry mags on my chest.

The next gun will be a higher quality build. Good trigger, free floating hand guard, better BCG, charging handle and trigger group. I'm getting too old to be of much good in a SHTF scenario, but it doesn't mean I won't go down without doing my best to make life really miserable for the bad guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only have a few ARs set up for different purposes. I have one in 6.8, 556 and 223 Wylde. I also have a MSAR Aug clone, an FNAR, two mini 14s. The one I would grab first is Sig my 516 with a SWFA SS 1-4 and a 1000 rounds of MK318 Mod-0. The only Mod to the 516 is an ALG ACT trigger.

Scott
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Something with the prancing pony.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Verminator,

My serious guns all have either Chrome lined or stainless barrels, 158 carpenter MPI bolts, and a BCM mod 3/4 charging handles.

I like a low power Leopold variable scope, good light and backup irons.

For a general purpose muzzle device, Iike the BCM mod 0, or the A2 birdcage if I'm on a budget.

I like the Wylde chamber, but have some 5.56 as well.

Extra parts are a good thing. If it's a spring, or under spring pressure, at some point, you will loose it, so have extra's.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys like a single stage trigger on your battle rifles???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys like a single stage trigger on your battle rifles???

2 stage for me

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This.... https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12%20kd.htm

ALG FF hand guard
BCM Mod0 comp
VLTOR A5 buffer
B5 stock
Streamlight Rail Mount2 light
Magpul sling

Some sort of 1-4ish optic

Single stage trigger of some sort. One of the coated mil spec triggers.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
This.... https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12%20kd.htm

ALG FF hand guard
BCM Mod0 comp
VLTOR A5 buffer
B5 stock
Streamlight Rail Mount2 light
Magpul sling

Some sort of 1-4ish optic

Single stage trigger of some sort. One of the coated mil spec triggers.

Blue, how would your "battle" rifle compare to your 3 gun rifle? I'm assuming the difference is going to be mostly in the barrel length?? I almost have my 3 gun rifle put together. It's one of my cheaper rifles, but it always goes bang. Well, my others always go bang too, but they have longer/longish heavier barrels......

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm actually A-Ok with my Ruger AR556. An 8 twist barrel shoots the 62 grain Fusion bullets really well. I've got a 1.25x4 Leupold on it with the stock irons zeroed at 200. It functions well with HK and GI mags. Super simple to clean and pretty portable. It's not fancy but it feels like about all of the others I used over the years.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blue, how would your "battle" rifle compare to your 3 gun rifle? I'm assuming the difference is going to be mostly in the barrel length?? I almost have my 3 gun rifle put together. It's one of my cheaper rifles, but it always goes bang. Well, my others always go bang too, but they have longer/longish heavier barrels......

A fighting gun, for me, wouldn't have a brake, lightweight carrier, as light of a trigger, and would have a lighter weight barrel.

But there are sacrifices both ways to get a setup that's ideal for the use. You could do really well in either with a general purpose 14.5" gun.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Of my several I would choose this one. Northtech defense 14.5", bcm comp, but it now sports an illuminated 1-6 mark 6 scope

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Colt A2, swapped barrel from the stock 20" to a 16" mid-length, A2 profile, 1/7. Added Magpul handguards and pistol grip.

[Linked Image]

I like the milspec trigger and original irons for a rifle that may be used, abused, exposed, neglected. It's not a match gun.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I ventured into the carbine recoil/buffer systems, and didn't feel like pissing around with a lot of buffers, springs, special extractor springs with o-rings and all that mess to keep them running smooth. i've gone back to rifle recoil systems. Had them in the spare parts box anyways.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This one is a little sexier. 14.7" FN 'machine gun steel' barrel. Mid-length gas system. It's not quite done. I have a Magpul MOE rifle buttstock, and Primary Arms prism sight in the pipeline.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

Ruger AR-556 lower
BCM upper with BCM bolt-carrier group. 16" light-weight barrel, 15" BCM KMR-A rail, BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 muzzle brake/flash-hider.
Geissele Airborne charging handle
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Geissele Maritime Bolt-catch
BCM Gunfighter grip and stock and foregrip.
Geissele Super Precision Scope Mount
Trijicon Accupower 1-4x (sold now, I'm looking for new optics).

Not pictured:

Blue Force Gear Vickers Tactical sling
Surefire Scout light with remote switch

Last edited by Oregon45; 09/02/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
[Linked Image]

Of my several I would choose this one. Northtech defense 14.5", bcm comp, but it now sports an illuminated 1-6 mark 6 scope

Awesome rifle there. As with all of the builds I've seen you post...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sweet builds, guys...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

A fighting gun, for me, wouldn't have a brake, lightweight carrier, as light of a trigger, and would have a lighter weight barrel.

But there are sacrifices both ways to get a setup that's ideal for the use. You could do really well in either with a general purpose 14.5" gun.

Thanks blue..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My rifle is a Colt AR15A4 with a Geissele SSA-E trigger and AR15/M4 extended 34mm scope mount, Daniel Defense Omega rifle rail and vertical fore grip, Burris XTR II 2-10x42 scope, Matech BUIS, Harris HBRMS bipod, Viking Tactics padded sling and an ERGO rigid ambidextrous pistol grip.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.