Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm back to my Model 700 in 30/06. Gun I bought back in 71 from money I earned delivering newspapers 7 days a week. I've bought several 99's, 7mags, 300 win mag over the years----I've sold them all. I've got a 375 Ruger that i used in AK on a grizzly hunt----I've still got that one hoping to use it on a Aussie or Cape buffalo hunt. In hind sight I should have used the 30/06 with 200 grain partitions on the bear hunt. I had a 100 yards shot from a good rest----a chip shot for the Model 700. I've got a Tikka 30/06 as a backup rifle.

Dad was right way back when. Told me all I "really" need was a 30/06, 12 gauge and 22 rifle. The only shotgun I hunt with is my 870 that I bought back in 1970, again for money earned on the paper route. I use it for everything from ducks, pheasants, grouse and turkeys. Nothing a 2 3/4" 12 gauge can't do. I do have a Browning BT-99 for trap shooting. The 22lr is perfect for prairie dogs & marmots.

Only thing I can say is that broke about even on buying & selling guns. But Dad was right, forget guns & spend the money on more hunts & adventures.

Bob

FYI---And he was right about reloading. You can buy 30/06, 12 gauge & 22's on sale cheaper than reloading. I've been killing critters with Core-lokts & power-points dead for years. But i still got all that reloading stuff because Dad couldn't be right.

BP-B6

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It just took you a little longer to figure it out Bob.. grin Some guys never will. I still tinker loading because I like the possibilities I get with different bullet weights. Plus, about 3 times in my life I have had close friends or their relatives die and the widows have asked me to sell off the reloading equipment and supplies but keep what ever I could use. I have not bought any rifle powder, brass or primers for long time.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm in the same boat. I've had a chance to try out a lot of fun cartridges and rifles, and I'm also back to the 30-06. It always gets the job done, regardless of how big or small the critter. I'm also back to the same type of rifle I started out on when I was 12 years old: m1917. Nothing works better for me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gravitated to that as well. Back to 3 .270's, a 7mm Mauser Win. BACO SG and a Win. AK. 375 H&H. Just have one more NIB 7mm Mauser BACO SG to sell. No shotguns - cause there are no birds.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/02/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I finally bought a 30-06 about two years ago. Never owned one, though have absolutely nothing against them! Over the past 40 years I've loaded for friends and relatives. But, I started out with a Win. Model 88 .308 Win. when I was 13 or 14, so I had a good 30 cal. Went to a .375 around 1981, and stayed there. But, when I had a chance at an '06 at a good price...I got one. Now....I not such a "social outcast"! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You got to have a 30-06 or you will be accused of being a commie at the deer lease.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hanco
You got to have a 30-06 or you will be accused of being a commie at the deer lease.

Or just plain stupid..:)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm back to my Model 700 in 30/06. Gun I bought back in 71 from money I earned delivering newspapers 7 days a week. I've bought several 99's, 7mags, 300 win mag over the years----I've sold them all. I've got a 375 Ruger that i used in AK on a grizzly hunt----I've still got that one hoping to use it on a Aussie or Cape buffalo hunt. In hind sight I should have used the 30/06 with 200 grain partitions on the bear hunt. I had a 100 yards shot from a good rest----a chip shot for the Model 700. I've got a Tikka 30/06 as a backup rifle.

Dad was right way back when. Told me all I "really" need was a 30/06, 12 gauge and 22 rifle. The only shotgun I hunt with is my 870 that I bought back in 1970, again for money earned on the paper route. I use it for everything from ducks, pheasants, grouse and turkeys. Nothing a 2 3/4" 12 gauge can't do. I do have a Browning BT-99 for trap shooting. The 22lr is perfect for prairie dogs & marmots.

Only thing I can say is that broke about even on buying & selling guns. But Dad was right, forget guns & spend the money on more hunts & adventures.

Bob

FYI---And he was right about reloading. You can buy 30/06, 12 gauge & 22's on sale cheaper than reloading. I've been killing critters with Core-lokts & power-points dead for years. But i still got all that reloading stuff because Dad couldn't be right.

Dads have that bad habit of being right about a lot of stuff. My Dad has always told me that guns were just tools. I've started to pare mine down to just the ones I use, came out a few bucks ahead on the ones I sold, and feel pretty good about it.(But if you hunt with an 8x57, and I mainly do, you really should reload)

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The rifle I bought in 70 was a .300 Win. still have it, still the number one big game rifle if I am after something serious.. I bought a 700 06 this summer, will probably use it when I hunt cow elk.. Plus many others have passed though my hands.. Still have quite a few rifles also.. My first serious game rifle was a custom model 54 .30-06.. If I only hunted with it, I would have quit 20 years ago. I enjoy using different rifles, handguns and shotguns. I guess if you are happy with one gun fine.. Not me.. I have made all the hunts I really want to make, and now with birds, varmints, big game , I have as much hunting as I can enjoy.. Still I make a couple out of state hunts most years.. I never look at my guns as tools, each has a fond memories that I enjoy when I handle them.. My late wife went from a .250, to my 06, to her favorite a custom 7mm RM.. Still have all three.. They are pretty important to me.. As far as making hunting trips, Ihave been grouse hunting the last couple days, and will be chasing game til mid Feb. After that I need a bit of a rest til varmint shooting opens in the spring...

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Less is more when it comes to guns. I believe in having enough to cover your bases but I don't believe in having more than you can use, enjoy, and appreciate. My late FIL had over 100 guns in his collection and 99% of them were just a big waste.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Less is more when it comes to guns. I believe in having enough to cover your bases but I don't believe in having more than you can use, enjoy, and appreciate. My late FIL had over 100 guns in his collection and 99% of them were just a big waste.

But I bet if he offered one of them to you or your kids, you wouldn't turn it down...

Sometimes acquiring unique pieces is just for the satisfaction of passing it on to the next generation.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

Evidently not to him....

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm in the same boat, well almost. I've been an extreme rifle nut for years, and had 125 rifles at my zenith. And they weren't junkers either....HS Precisions, Rifles Inc, Jarretts, GAPs, etc. Whwn reality set in several years ago, I started to trim thh arsenal. I'll probably be down to 12-15 shortly.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob...I can empathize. I started hunting with a Rem 700 in .243 and Hornady 100 gr. bullets. Shot literal tons of game with it. Since then Ive farted around with damn near everything caliber and brand wise. Now that Im winding down in my golden years I just 'built' a Rem .243 and its favorite load is.......you guessed it...100 grain Hornadys.
Gonna take it Axis hunting next month.

You know I like smaller guns..but I can force myself to use the .243again!

Just like old times....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes a lot of sense if you're only interest is hunting, but for me guns, especially rifles, are an enthusiasm, not just a means of acquiring meat and antlers. Once that wears off, I may start handing some more down or selling, but not yet. I've been tweaking the herd a bit, adding stuff I've hankered after for a while, but am just about done, I think. From now on, mostly I'll be shooting, loading, and maybe upgrading glass here and there, or adding optional glass to one or two.

Now is apparently a bad time for selling anyway. Changing tastes and cheap, good rifles, plus the Trump effect maybe, have played hob with the traditional market, I'm thinking.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Tag

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My late FIL had over 100 guns in his collection and 99% of them were just a big waste.

Probably not to whomever inherited them all.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Makes a lot of sense if you're only interest is hunting, but for me guns, especially rifles, are an enthusiasm, not just a means of acquiring meat and antlers....

THIS ^^^^^^ is the the boat I'm in and have been for a while.

The last 2 rifles I acquired are 6.5X55 which I never owned before but it's a 70 FTWT probably my fav rifle over all.

The other is a 284 Win in a 98 Mauser, also never owned either before.

IF I went back where I - LIKED - early on it would have to be a 700 , 270 Win. I 'could' have done all my hunting with a good 270 all
these years. But I've had a whole lot of fun experimenting and owning many diff rifles and cartridges.

I have a good 06 and am keeping it but for MY hunting a 270 W is more than enuf and easy on the shoulder.
That said, this year I 'intend' to bloody the 284 and use DIFF bullets in the Swede.

If I lived in another area with larger game I could gladly use a 7 RM or 300 WM. I have both and enjoy shooting/hunting them.

Different Strokes. We all have diff personalities.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Makes a lot of sense if you're only interest is hunting, but for me guns, especially rifles, are an enthusiasm, not just a means of acquiring meat and antlers....

THIS ^^^^^^ is the the boat I'm in and have been for a while.

The last 2 rifles I acquired are 6.5X55 which I never owned before but it's a 70 FTWT probably my fav rifle over all.

The other is a 284 Win in a 98 Mauser, also never owned either before.

IF I went back where I - LIKED - early on it would have to be a 700 , 270 Win. I 'could' have done all my hunting with a good 270 all
these years. But I've had a whole lot of fun experimenting and owning many diff rifles and cartridges.

I have a good 06 and am keeping it but for MY hunting a 270 W is more than enuf and easy on the shoulder.
That said, this year I 'intend' to bloody the 284 and use DIFF bullets in the Swede.

If I lived in another area with larger game I could gladly use a 7 RM or 300 WM. I have both and enjoy shooting/hunting them.

Different Strokes. We all have diff personalities.

Jerry

Jerry, you & Pappy are probable right. A rifle to is something to hunt with. I'm not into punching paper. A 1" group to me is just fine for elk hunting these past 30 years. My love is trap shooting. I shoot a basic BT-99. It's a fixed full with a non adjustable stock. I use the KISS method. Keep my head down & I'll shoot well. I give the big boys a run for their money. To me it's not the gun but the puff of black smoke when you whack that clay pigeon.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Those clay pigeons don't eat worth a damn, Bob.

Seriously though, congratulations on finding your way back to where you came from.

See you in March!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.