Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It seems that every load I try in my 7600 Whelen carbine flattens primers. Even when I'm a grain or two from max. Extraction isnt hard at all and accuracy is pretty good but it always flattens primers. Could it be excessive head space?

Today I ran 57 and 58 gr of 8208XBR under 200gr TTSX with fed LR primers at about 2715fps (both loads velocity didn't change?) accuracy was decent but flattened the primers.

57.5gr of AA2460 shot a little bug hole @ 2700fps but still flat primers. Annnnd I'm told 2460 is NOT a good temp stable powder for the cold where I hunt.

60gr of TAC had good accuracy but still flat primers....this load runs from 2640-2800!!!?? Wtf that's some spread!

Any thoughts?

Last edited by skybuster20ga; 09/03/17.
HR IC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You could be pushing the shoulders back too much during the resizing step. Reloader induced excessive headspace will get you flattened primers every time.

Upon firing, the firing pin will push the cartridge forward in the chamber. The primer ignites and starts to extrude. The building pressure will cause the case to expand in all directions with the thinner parts of the case expanding earlier in the cycle and holding the case forward in the chamber. The rest of the case expands later in the cycle because it is thicker and the solid head slams back against the bolt face and hammers the primer back in the pocket and flattens it. This will happen regardless of the pressure unless the cartridge is loaded to pressure levels low enough that the case will not expand. .

FWIW, this is the reason that you can't read pressure by looking at the primers.

Last edited by MichiganScott; 09/03/17.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I full length resize....how do I know if I'm pushing the shoulder back to far? When I set my sizer die I spin it down until it hits the shell holder the go about a quarter turn more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flattened primers are no indication of anything. Some manufacturers have softer cups than others. Most of my hunting loads have flattened primers and I don't run for max velocity (all checked on a chrono). If you are getting flow back into the firing pin hole or end up with loose primer pockets, you should be concerned. Other than that, barring any other over pressure indications, rock on.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start with the die out a little further, put the sized empty in rifle and see if it will fit. If not, run the die down a little further. Keep it up until it will fit with a little feel, then use that way or adjust a hair more. Once set for that rifle, keep it there. If you are using the same die for more than one, I would do this every time. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga
I full length resize....how do I know if I'm pushing the shoulder back to far? When I set my sizer die I spin it down until it hits the shell holder the go about a quarter turn more.

You should set your die to your chamber. Size a case long and try it in your chamber. The action should not close. Turn the die in a half turn and resize the case and try it in your chamber again. Continue trying resizing the case as you turn the die down until the action closes but you feel some resistance. Now turn the die down another half turn and lock it. Resize a fresh case to make sure it chambers. If it doesn't, repeat the process, if it does you are good to go.
The above is referring to a bolt action.

Miles beat me to it.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 09/03/17.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It seems that every load I try in my 7600 Whelen carbine flattens primers. Even when I'm a grain or two from max. Extraction is hard at all and accuracy is pretty good but it always flattens primers. Could it be excessive head space?

Today I ran 57 and 58 gr of 8208XBR under 200gr TTSX with fed LR primers at about 2715fps (both loads velocity didn't change?) accuracy was decent but flattened the primers.

57.5gr of AA2460 shot a little bug hole @ 2700fps but still flat primers. Annnnd I'm told 2460 is a good temp stable powder for the cold where I hunt.

60gr of TAC had good accuracy but still flat primers....this load runs from 2640-2800!!!?? Wtf that's some spread!

Any thoughts?

The first thing I'd do is buy some factory ammo and see what it looks like after firing. Being a 30-06 this should be cheap and easy.

If they look flat as pancakes you have a gun problem. If they don't you have a reloading problem.

If it's a reloading problem I can help.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Or it could be soft primers.

Are you using Winchester?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
8208 is a great powder., but IMO a tad fast for the 35W with 200s. Temp? I would clean my barre/throat l well and try Varget or re-15 or VV140.. I would use Wolf LRM primers. Size FIRED brass to just chamber .. set the shoulder back 3-4thou in FL dies

Or try H4895 on the fast side

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
ThAnk you everyone

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Smoke the neck of a fired case. Set the die out so it won't size the case all the way down the neck. Turn the die in a little at a time until you see the soot wiped off just above the shoulder. Try that case in your chamber. If it works OK stop there. If not, turn the die in 1/4 turn at a time and recheck in the chamber for fit.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what dave in wv said

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1/4 turn is about .018". That is way to much for proper head spacing. 1/3 of 1/4 is a lot more like it. Even that is a little long.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
By sizing this way, I assume I'll have to turn the decaping pin down a heck of a lot more also?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
By sizing this way, I assume I'll have to turn the decaping pin down a heck of a lot more also?

Perhaps. Depends where you're at right now.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 1234
what dave in wv said

Yes.

But I'd use a Sharpie.

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks you all for the help. I do have some factory rounds I have benchmarked off of. They are not nearly so flat as my hand loads. I'm going to load a few sets today and test. I Have been using fed210 but today I'm going to try rem 91/2.

I have used magnum primers in the past. Could these take a load that's say, at max with std primers and push it over the edge and create high pressures?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any change in components can up the pressure; so yes.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 1234
what dave in wv said

Yes.

But I'd use a Sharpie.

Dave

Smoke works, Sharpie better!!!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 79 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.