Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Along the lines of the leadership issue

a little background about the environment

Current SLC mayor Ms. Bukispi is a lesbian and very active in the LGBT (that movement). Previous staff was asked to resign an then she hires back etc. (yes I know not uncommon)

The "progressive" movement in the SLC area has moved large portions of business to the south end of the valley. ex. Silicon Slopes, NSA. This has significantly reduced SLC tax base as most of the labor force commutes in.

Former SLC sheriff, Winder steps down moves to Moab. New sheriff Ms. Garcia is close friends with mayor, and yet to receive/earn "leadership respect" from leo community.

Nurse publicly accepted mayors apology. This limits her avenues.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the post, a little more clarity to the situation.

However, LEO should always defer to the "innocent until proven guilty" parameters within the constitution. Regardless of what the admin. people pushed, or what laws pertain to CDL requirements, the cop on site had the option/time to get a warrant, its not like the truck driver was going anywhere. One of the main concepts within the constitution is the idea of the creation of a "victim", and not the welfare rat, BLM "victim". I'm talking about a person who has been damaged, either physically, financially etc.

In this instance, the nurse caused no victim by refusing the collection of blood, regardless of what the law states. The police officer on the other hand caused a victim by arresting the nurse, denying her freedom. He arrested her based on an administrative conflict, not some charge of damaging/creating a victim. Here in lies one the biggest problems that has created a total misunderstanding within our population as to what rights are, why the constitution was written the way it was, and how law enforcement/gov. takes power away from the people.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Off topic but just to be clear

Dillion Taylor was white, Officer Cruz was non-white.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Well said Doc. I'm glad I retired shortly after HIPAA went into effect. There was general confusion, at that time, as to what the medical community was or was not allowed to do by HIPAA. Seems the confusion has yet to clear up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by kwg020
Wasn't part of this issue was the fact the driver was unconscious. I know this changes some issues but it does not relieve the timeliness issue. In other words, some time limits had to be met. I agree, the nurse supervisor needed to be in the room and if necessary, the officers supervisor needed to be there as well. Two bullheaded people meeting in the same room with no way out created this $hitstorm.

There is no such thing as a quick search warrant and there is no such thing as a judge who is close and handy to sign one. This means that the supervisors need to know what the rules are and be able to recite them at a moments notice. If not, why are they a supervisor ??

kwg

Doesn't matter about timeliness, it only matters what the law says and the law as per the United States Supreme court says that no blood without PC, an arrest, a warrant, or actual consent.

They also ruled that Implied Consent does not include drawing blood, period.

When was the last time you filled out a search warrant or invoked implied consent ?? It's not everything, just damned near it. The State legislature writes and states the Code, the LEO's enforce it, as per the intent of the Legislature to the best of their ability. Judges are supposed to respect that process of the elected officials (representatives of the people) and the Constitution, just like the Officers. The State Code, the accident and the unconscious condition is the PC. This only leave the timeliness. This officer failed to recognize the human factor (untrained nurse) and blew the "first impressions are important" and it turned ugly. The leadership (both sides) and the attorneys of the hospital failed to recognize the law and the timeliness of the process. You see the end result. You can bet things will change in the near future. Good or bad, it will change.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Dutch

Administrative types often get so wrapped up in rules that they can't imagine they don't apply to every situation, or that there are exceptions they don't have a clue about. But, by Jove, they are going to follow the rules! (all the way off the cliff).

Well said, Dutch. I have a term for those types: corporate pukes. I realize that's not a strong enough term for what I really think of them, though...

Bosses see Rules/Regulations as the final word, leaders see them as general guidelines. Bosses don't know WTF to do if it isn't in a Rule/Regulation manual, leaders do.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is it legal for a cop to be drawing blood in a hospital?

Seems like that's beyond his scope of evidence gathering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Dutch

Administrative types often get so wrapped up in rules that they can't imagine they don't apply to every situation, or that there are exceptions they don't have a clue about. But, by Jove, they are going to follow the rules! (all the way off the cliff).

Well said, Dutch. I have a term for those types: corporate pukes. I realize that's not a strong enough term for what I really think of them, though...

Bosses see Rules/Regulations as the final word, leaders see them as general guidelines. Bosses don't know WTF to do if it isn't in a Rule/Regulation manual, leaders do.

And it's just that simple.

Unfortunately, leadership skills are about as common as common sense.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Obviously you didn't read the [bleep] Original Post. Impressive.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

He was trained as a forensic phlebotomist

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Doc, you are exactly correct that leadership failed on all sides. Some calm voices and reasoned discourse were needed and were not present.

However, implied consent has not been the law in Utah since 2007, and the Supreme Court has recently ruled that a warrant or consent is required for a blood search. No consent was possible since the victim of the crash was unconscious.

Be not weary in well doing.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There was nothing done wrong by the cop. The driver had already consented to blood draw by action of having his CDL. The cop did his job--that's all.

The nurse did not do her job, because none of that was her job to do anyway. The cop might have been a jerk, but the nurse had/has no standing in this case.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
There was nothing done wrong by the cop. The driver had already consented to blood draw by action of having his CDL. The cop did his job--that's all.

The nurse did not do her job, because none of that was her job to do anyway. The cop might have been a jerk, but the nurse had/has no standing in this case.

Yur right! FOOk that GD piece a' paper

...If in doubt? ..Bust EM'!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The driver had already consented to blood draw by action of having his CDL

Probably not.

Implied consent went the way of the dodo bird in 2007 in Utah. And we have have a recent Supreme Court ruling that turns a lot of the old laws on their head. A blood draw now requires consent (not possible if you're unconscious) or a warrant.

I would posit that the nurse was the only one actually doing her job.

As Doc stated, leadership was absent all around.

The unconscious crash victim was in the care of the hospital, and unable to act for himself. If the hospital had allowed an illegal blood draw, the victim could sue the hospital. In light of recent changes to the laws governing blood draws, it seems likely to me that the draw would have been illegal.

Last edited by denton; 09/03/17.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Readonly and Ringman....

I am not saying the cop was correct. I am also not saying the nurse was correct. Both of 'em got their backs up and didn't want to back down. They BOTH did the right thing by calling their supervisors, and at that point it was the supervisors' job to sort it out. BOTH the cop and nurse should have stopped right there, and waited for the supe's to get there to sort it out. But the supervisors didn't show up, so the nurse and cop couldn't de-escalate, which is how the whole thing turned into a YouTube schittshow.

Leadership could have saved the situation. But leadership was abysmally lacking.

How would the nurse back down? Do you think that belligerent cop would let her back away?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
So does a hospital's internal "policy" supercede a state law?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Obviously you didn't read the [bleep] Original Post. Impressive.

Well dumbfuq, ya just don't walk into a hospital and perform medical proceedures trained or otherwise.

Don't you have some pre-teenage boys to go suck off or something?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
So does a hospital's internal "policy" supercede a state law?

If that policy is consistent with Supreme Court Precedence, yes, it does.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree this was a failure of leadership. More on the part of the cop than the nurse. Seems like many are not reading the whole story or paying attention to things that have happened. Say what you want about the nurse, but the SC has ruled that you need a consent or a warrant for the blood draw. She had the policy of her organization and called her supervisor. Seems she knew exactly what to do. the cop on the other hand was pissed she didn't just bow down to him. He obviously didn't know what to do, so he just resorted to police state tactics. His fellows cops are heard saying, "this won't stick". "Why don't we just get a warrant?" He should have listened.

According to the story, they didn't suspect the driver was impaired. They wanted a blood sample to "protect the driver". The link to the sesame street version of CDL testing says a person "can" be tested. You need a "must", "shall", "will", "required" or some other similar word to make it stick. In the end, the cop is placed on leave. The nurse was released and not charged. City leadership apologized to the nurse. This kind of thing happens when the city leadership knows its in a legal bind.

Last edited by Obi_Wan; 09/03/17.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Why would you not draw it in a hospital?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.