-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of buying a TCR 87. So here are some questions.
Price range.
Quality compared to an Encore, or No.1
Parts availability.
Accuracy.
Barrel swapping ease.
Pluses / minuses with overall regard to rifle.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The TCR is a great rifle but is no longer made and barrel selection is very limited. The Encore opens your caliber selection to anything you can handle in a light, single shot rifle.

Some people have had excellent accuracy with their TCR's, others, not so much. It's likely the same with all your other options. I expect I would shy away from the TCR due to parts availability unless you find exactly the right caliber at a great price. Then it might be worth the chance.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed. My main issue with the Encore platform isthe useless walnut stock. Way to thick in the grip.
However, like you said, good parts availability and easy to sell what you don't need.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always kind of liked them, but never jumped. Lots of people complain about the goofy safety. Since the supply is fixed, you're limited as to options, and if you get one that's not up to your expectations, you might be stuck. Don't even know if TC will repair them now, and I'm not aware of any gunsmiths that specialize in them.

I don't like Encores especially, but you can do just about anything with one. Barrels go on sale sometimes at great prices.

Number 1s are priced all over the place, with some great deals to be found if you're not too choosy about the cartridge. The same is true to a lesser extent with 1885s. Both are great, classic rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've had very good luck with MGM custom barrels for my T/C Contender and Encore. Just about any caliber you can think of.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't even know if TC will repair them now

I had just bought a used TCR (right before the factory fire) and wanted something done, can't remember what, shortly after the fire. Called the factory and was told then, that they were "no longer" performing warranty work on them. That really pissed me off because it was a beautiful high-quality rifle with a "lifetime" warranty. I had also reluctantly bought it in .223 even though I didn't want a .223, because I was planning on adding a bunch of barrels.

I'm not aware of any gunsmiths that specialize in them

At one time, SSK Industries was doing a fair amount of work with them, couldn't say if they do anymore though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

598 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.