Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Wife and I got the 34-1 tags we wanted, Maybe this year I can only elk hunt one day instead of 3.........

Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Gen tag, plus a couple of cow tags.

Good luck guys, I hope to make it out there again next year!

Next time you are in town we have to get together........

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
" I hope to make it out there again next year"

Hey Kimber; Does that mean your not showing in Oct? Had a good time..

Last edited by wyowinchester; 08/24/17.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So is about 6 weeks from my hunt. I want to use my 338 Fed. My rifle loves 200 gr Fusions, I can keep 9/10 shots at 200 yards inside 2 inches and 9/10 shots at 300 yards inside of 4 inches, all shots will group inside 6 inches. I don't plan to shoot at anything more than 350 yards, in great conditions. With six weeks left, should I try to shoot the Trophy tipped bullet through my rifle, a tougher more "premium" bullet, or stick with the Fusion, "bonded deer bullet", and assume accuracy kills. I know the Trophy tipped has a better rep, but I am I handicapping myself with the Fusion? At hunting elevation, either bullet should deliver over 2,000 ft/lbs on an elk at 300 yards.

Thanks for your thought and shoot straight everyone.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
62 cow elk tag, 23 buck goat and general deer.........On alot of the roads you will see a cattle guard or fence right up to the edge of the road with "no tresspassing" signs hanging on both sides. It makes you think the road is private and you cannot continue...... some of the time it is, but alot of the time it isn't. The road may still be public but the land on either side is private. Scares alot of people off and requires alot of research to figure out and can be very frustrating. Call the local warden and deputy for advise. Cross reference plot maps, road maps and your GPS/hunt chip.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Blueranger
So is about 6 weeks from my hunt. I want to use my 338 Fed. My rifle loves 200 gr Fusions, I can keep 9/10 shots at 200 yards inside 2 inches and 9/10 shots at 300 yards inside of 4 inches, all shots will group inside 6 inches. I don't plan to shoot at anything more than 350 yards, in great conditions. With six weeks left, should I try to shoot the Trophy tipped bullet through my rifle, a tougher more "premium" bullet, or stick with the Fusion, "bonded deer bullet", and assume accuracy kills. I know the Trophy tipped has a better rep, but I am I handicapping myself with the Fusion? At hunting elevation, either bullet should deliver over 2,000 ft/lbs on an elk at 300 yards.

Thanks for your thought and shoot straight everyone.

I'm a A-frame/Partition guy for elk. Personally I would upgrade and find out if the Trophy tipped shoots straight. ... if it does go with it, if not the 200grn of the 338 will help you out and the fusion will get the job done.. Put it behind the shoulder and as I tell all elk hunters I know, If able, always use follow up shots until your elk is down. Even if it drops on the first shot, secure it with a well placed second shot.

Last edited by magnum44270; 09/04/17.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Magnum44270, Well Best of Luck!! Looks like we'll be hunt'n pretty close to ya. We've got 64 late season (any elk). We're look'n forward to it! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/04/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Magnum, thanks for the input. I tracked down a couple of the road through county data, and sure enough Platte County calls all of the roads that I was looking at private in some portion. Got a couple of other roads in other counties where the info isn't as easy to find. Think a call/email to wardens might be the next option. I did find a pocket or two other public land with next to no vehicular tracks and appear to be used lightly by people, but several good trails, rubs, beds, feed, and water. With 2 weeks of any elk (aka bull) and then 3 months of cow, I should be able to fill my tag. As for bullets, I have tried the 210 gr Partitions but could not get the groups that I want, 2-3X larger that Fusions.My last elk hunt in AZ, I loaded 200 gr Accubonds that shot amazing, sub inch at 200 yard, but with a 4 yo at home, a control environment to reload is not possible. And I am a fan of Bigfin (aka Randy), so I intend to keep shooting until the elk is down or outta sight, too. Someday I hope to have little more time off where I can travel and hunt a little further away from home in a little better elk country. Thanks for your insight and good luck this fall. We just had a clean out the freezer dinner this weekend with, elk (friend's that I help pack out), mule deer and pronghorn, good times. You got the makings of an overly full freezer on your hands.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Family of 4 with another on the way! Bought a third of beef 3 years ago when I moved up here and haven't bought red meat since, strictly wild game in my house. I got lucky and have a wife who loves the taste of wild game and my kids have grown up on it and know no difference!.. Wife has a cow/calf tags as well for this year so yes, we will be full up if we tag out!.....Didn't draw elk last year and struck out with a general elk tag, but filled two goat tags and a general deer and wife filled her general deer.......................Been in Wyo for 3 years now and I'm still learning. Its a whole different set of rules out here. I thought AZ was confusing compared to AR and WI, but Wyo is something else. Many times I turned around on roads that had "No trespassing" signs hung on both sides facing the road, only to find out its just land owners trying to keep people out. Also you will come across no trespassing signs on "state" land, where you cannot hunt the tilled portion of the leased crop land. Pull up the state land site/maps and look closely. a lot of the time there are still areas you can legally hunt in those areas, i.e drainage, streams, wooded areas....Put in the time, study hard and don't let land owners/lease trick you out of legal hunting areas!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Magnum, we sound a lot alike in some ways. Growing in PA, moving to MD, then back to PA, then to AZ and now in WY (3 years). Same great country but completely different view on hunting and land, public and private. Live and learn I guess, and I'm still learning this elk thing. I know I should have studied things harder, but I did that thing you are not suppose to do...assume, that the road I was looking at would be open. In any event, I like my chances. Thanks again, and if our paths cross, I'll buy ya beer, or maybe a box of ammo, whatever you need more at the time. Good luck.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Took my bull two years ago with a 180 Swift Scirocco out of my RUM. About 150yd shot through the top of the shoulders and spine, dropped him and followed up with a second shot to seal the deal. Bullet held together nicely and was found under the hide on opposite side...

...For access also check out the HMA's (Hunter Management Areas) a lot of nice ranches open up a lot of land!, some are limited by first come first served sign ups and some are unlimited!

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.