Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another quick thought
"Best" needs to be understood in one of 2 ways.

#1 The best quality of any gun made in the muzzleloader era, (from the days of the hand cannon to the beginning of the breach-loading era) or any reproduction of any such gun. Quality being viewed on the basis of accuracy, dependability and artworks

Or #2 The best technology ever made (so far) for the use of killing game with a weapon that happens loads from the muzzle.

In category #1 I would say the ones that probably are on top of the heap were the German and English guns made in the late 1860s
In category #2 I have to say.................I don't know. I have no interest in a muzzleloading rifle made with 2017 technology. I have a scoped AR-15 in 6.8 SPC now. If I only carry one round in the chamber and no magazine on my person I would have the same capabilities as such a gun, but hunting that way seems to beg a question to me.

Why?

I don't care what others hunt with.

But when I hunt with a bow I want to hunt the old way. Long bow with wood arrows. Same with any muzzleloader. My rifles are recreations of guns made in the late 1700s

I can kill game easier and farther away with my 270, or my FN-FAL, or my Ruger SR762.
But that's not the point of hunting with a weapon that provides a greater challenge.

When I hunt with my long bow, or my flintlock I hunt in the regular season. I never bother with "bow season" or 'muzzleloader season".
I am not trying to cheat. I am not even 100% dedicated to killing an animal. If I were I'd be using one of my auto-loaders.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very Nice guns fellows! The best one I ever owned was 45 cal. Hatfield, still kick myself for selling it and going to an inline! I do have a 40cal TC hammer rifle that I hunted with last fall.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gents; thanks for posting up the pics you do (along with the commentary). Am I the only one that wonders in here with a beer buzz to see what Kaywoodie has to show today?
Beautiful stuff. Thanks again.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You need to look up Monty Mandarino, he may be the best builder of any age of muzzle loading rifles.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I liked what Szihn had to say. However, if one can make his peace with the non traditional, the Remingtons (three of them) that I'm playing with are very accurate clear out to 300yds. Some hundred yard groups are just one big hole. I had no idea ML were that accurate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best ever made? That's easy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It weighs 7#4 oz, my old eyes can still work with the sights because the barrel is 42" long. .45 Caliber...best I can do....offhand....at 50 yards.
Doesn't need no stinkin' caps, just a steady hold.

[Linked Image]

Fella named Turpin built it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Nice rifles Sharpsman and DD!!! Very nice!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SHarpsman, what is the story on that lefthanded plains rifle? Looks very nice.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
White Super 91 .50 Cal, dumbest thing I ever did was sell that baby.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
hbj,

Here's my Virginia style rifle. Heavy English influnece. .50 cal

[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie,

Where would a person go to have something like that built? I have seen kits but really don't want to do one myself. Thank you.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Glen Jones built the above rifle.

http://www.flintlockrifles-gljones.com

Matt Avance builds nice stuff too!

http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com

And Clay Smith too!

http://www.claysmithguns.com

Also check in to see what Track Of The Wolf has they get stuff all the time!

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/485

Lots of other capable folks out there as well. Just Google away!!!

Good Luck!
KW

Édit!

Oops! Forgot to add, our szihn here on the fire builds some keepers! smile

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/07/17.

Founder

WS

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have an old college friend that has built some darn nice flinters.
Just for himself.
Of some talent.
Might have him build me one (if he will).

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Not sure what the best muzzleloader ever made was but I just ordered one of this guy's (www.jimkibler.net) muzzleloader "kits" and I am saying that these may be the best "kits" ever made - for the money and quality. I got a .32 caliber that I intend to use on squirrels and such......these kits are amazing - heck just price the parts and see where you end up!! I'll post some pictures when I get it done (probably be a while with my schedule but if I had a couple of days I think it could be ready to go!!).

PennDog

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by PennDog
Not sure what the best muzzleloader ever made was but I just ordered one of this guy's (www.jimkibler.net) muzzleloader "kits" and I am saying that these may be the best "kits" ever made - for the money and quality. I got a .32 caliber that I intend to use on squirrels and such......these kits are amazing - heck just price the parts and see where you end up!! I'll post some pictures when I get it done (probably be a while with my schedule but if I had a couple of days I think it could be ready to go!!).

PennDog

Thats gonna be a fun rifle PennDog! Looking forward to pics when you get it done!!

KW

Founder

WS

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
KW,

It really should be a fun little rifle - I have always wanted a .32 caliber flintlock for squirrels.....I have a Vincent style caplock in .32 that I absolutely love for squirrels and it will go with me to this year's 1st annual squirrel camp in northern Pennsylvania. I will be sure to try and post pics (I'll have to figure out the new process since Photobucket went "south") of both squirrel camp (only muzzleloaders allowed) and the Kibler rifle when complete.

PennDog

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Imho hands down the tc new englander. Accurate, reliable, relative light weight, affordable, well made, nice looking rifle. I'm sort of old school so not an inline fan as I see primitive weapons ( is that PC anymore?) seasons as meaning traditional but thats just me. Of course there are a lot of outstanding customs out there but for a production gun tc is tuff to beat and the new englander is their value leader. I also had a Browning mtn. rifle for a while that was very nice but much more costly than a new englander.

Last edited by bangeye; 10/12/17.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Bangeye,

Back in the day all those T/C rifles were well made, accurate rifles! The Hawken, Renegade, Seneca, etc, were all top quality firearms! Well worth the cash!

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

And Clay Smith too!

http://www.claysmithguns.com

I knew Clay "back in the day", and he tried to convince me to join him in an apprenticeship at the gun shop in Williamsburg. Wallace Gussler was still buzzing around there at the time. He did, and I didn't. I couldn't give up my good paying job to live on snowballs while doing the six or seven year (if I remember correctly) apprenticeship. Oh, to wind back the hands of time!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

260 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 2UP, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,353 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,554
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.