Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I guess its normal to smoke a little. Looked to me like there might be some oil streaks on the belly.

It's a radial engine. If it's not leaking and burning oil it's under serviced. grin

My father-in-law owned a Cessna 195 with a 300hp Jacobs engine. He'd have to roll down the pilot's side window in flight (the 195's windows manually cranked down just like a car) and wipe the oil off the windscreen occasionally)

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess its normal to smoke a little. Looked to me like there might be some oil streaks on the belly.

It's a radial engine. If it's not leaking and burning oil it's under serviced. grin

Isn't the smoke at startup because of the engine pre oilers?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad served in the South Pacific on the Yorktown and on several islands.

The two planes he loved best to hear and see overhead were the Hellcat and the P-38 Lightning.

He said the Japs would turn tail and run when these planes came after them a bit later in the war. They learned that they would be sacrificing scarce assets.

That was a picture perfect landing, IMO. The pilot knew the plane.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

sawbuck Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
In he mid-1960's, I worked with 2 guys at Mobil Oil in NY. During the war, one flew Grumman F-6Fs in The Pacific and the other flew North American P-51s in Europe. the (good natured) arguments were endless. I always wondered if both planes flew against each other , who'd win!

I've read the P-51 would do well until after the first turn.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

yeah, another of the old WW 2 sayings on Radials...

if it isn't leaking oil on the ground when parked, then there isn't any oil in the engine...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

yeah, another of the old WW 2 sayings on Radials...

if it isn't leaking oil on the ground when parked, then there isn't any oil in the engine...

After our OPS brief I always did a walk around with our crew chief to make sure we had leaks under the 1830 R's ..No leaky no fly GI grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.