Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
http://www.ktvq.com/story/36294465/man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-ennis

Always interesting, learning about & from these incidents. Am glad he's alive!

Guy

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't take long!! MT big game season just opened.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Out of state hunters, the other white meat. That comment was hilarious.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't imagine standing there with a big game rifle in hand waiting on a charging bear with an already bloody muzzle to get close enough for me to spray it with the pepper spray I've never tested.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
'Came upon a bear on a carcass and they began to yell'

Unless this is the usual piss poor use of the English language in the write-up by a news organization employee, then it seems the prudent thing would have been to quietly let the bear have at it and the hunters LEAVE the area.
I thought I saw a report elsewhere that they were bow hunters.

Last edited by LouisB; 09/05/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by grovey
I can't imagine standing there with a big game rifle in hand waiting on a charging bear with an already bloody muzzle to get close enough for me to spray it with the pepper spray I've never tested.

Bow season. Not rifle season. The bears have been terrible in that neck of the woods this year. Killed a bunch of cattle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn, glad they both lived.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who would go into the woods without an adequate firearm? I do believe a hard cast from even a .357 to head of that offending bear would have changed its aggression.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LouisB

Unless this is the usual piss poor use of the English language in the write-up by a news organization employee, then it seems the prudent thing would have been to quietly let the bear have at it and the hunters LEAVE the area.

Stupid hunters. Bear was busy on a carcass and they disturbed it. Scream at me during lunch and you'll get the same.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by LouisB

Stupid hunters. Bear was busy on a carcass and they disturbed it. Scream at me during lunch and you'll get the same.

Pretty much what I was thinking...instead of yelling they should have been getting their spray ready and start a hasty, but quiet, retreat....

You want to see my ass vacate an A/O...show me a grizzly! cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
charging bear and you have rifle in hand????? uck peper spray

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They brought Bear spray to a gun fight.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by ingwe

Pretty much what I was thinking...instead of yelling they should have been getting their spray ready and start a hasty, but quiet, retreat....

You want to see my ass vacate an A/O...show me a grizzly! cry

Yes, sir!

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ragsflh
charging bear and you have rifle in hand????? uck peper spray

I don't think either of them had a rifle. Bowhunters I believe. But they had pepper spray and at least one handgun.

I think that pepper spray saved at least one life, if not both of their lives according to the article.

Regards, Guy

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My bear spray is filled with six .44 mag 300 grain bullets. I think my type of bear spray is more reliable and I don't have to worry about the wind etc. Regardless, every time I see a bear, I get the fak out unless I have a bear tag in a pocket and a rifle ready.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How did we come to the conclusion that bears like pepper on their food? Maybe they prefer salt.

LOL
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pretty much what I was thinking...instead of yelling they should have been getting their spray ready and start a hasty, but quiet, retreat..

My thoughts as well. But this incident along with a few others only reinforces my skepticism about Bear Spray. When it works, it works, but it doesn't always seem to work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure any one of the above internet persona's would have taught that bear a valuable lesson. Laughing.

But luckily all of the grizzlies out there have little to worry about since none will be encountered from the comforts of your home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Who would go into the woods without an adequate firearm? I do believe a hard cast from even a .357 to head of that offending bear would have changed its aggression.

Simple really, they had the same chance as any deer hunter in Ohio. There is a law that says "no second weapon" when hunting deer. It is a stupid law, that defies common sense, and one I lobby to have revoked, but as it stands the only exception is a CCW, which not every hunter has. Knives are allowed, but not very effective if the need arose.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ringman

This is good in theory, but in reality, damn few people can shoot a charging grizzly in the head with a handgun-or a rifle for that matter. Even well-practiced police officers miss far more than they hit in close-range gun fights, when the excitement is high. Properly deployed bear spray has proven many times to be effective. It needs to be used correctly and also, it needs to be replaced after about three years to assure potency.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
548 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.