Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

I just read this article in NRA's American Rifleman and thought I'd share it with you.

Breaking the Glass Ceiling: German Precision Optics
by John Zent - Monday, August 21, 2017

German Precision Optics (GPO) is a new supplier whose products are helping to make an already competitive marketplace that much more buyer friendly. GPO’s ambitious initial product offering, including 17 riflescopes and 11 binoculars, spans price points from quite affordable ($250-$300) to quite high ($1,800-$2,000), but doesn’t venture into genuine sticker-shock territory as the company name might suggest. Industry veterans and former colleagues Richard Schmidt (in Germany) and Mike Jensen (in the U.S.), are convinced their lean operating concept will translate to unique consumer value.

The company name actually refers to the fact that, along with corporate headquarters, product design and engineering are done in Germany using processes that emulate the big-name European brands normally deemed the world’s best. The reality is that practically all familiar optics firms are global in some respects—sales, of course, but also product development, manufacturing and sourcing materials. In this case, the German designs are manufactured in Japan and other Asian nations.

“We make sure GPO products are built to our specs and that the factories we work with adhere to the tough quality-control we’re used to from our experience with other top brands,” said Jensen. “We use high-transmission glass and other prime components—the same as our competitors. We’ve even developed our own proprietary lens-coating—GPObright. What it all adds up to is this: We build higher-quality products with better features at similar prices or similar-quality products at better prices.”

GPO’s extensive scope line incorporates many of the latest trends and technologies. The firm’s Passion scopes can be had in the following configurations: 1” tube/3X magnification; 30 mm tube/4X, 6X and 8X magnification. Objective lens sizes in this hunting/competition line range from 24 mm to 56 mm. If you need to pack light, trim 3-9X and 4-12X models weigh just 14 ounces, more or less. For versatility, there’s a 1-6X plus a couple 2.5-15Xs. If long-range is your game, the powerful 6-24x50 mm gets you there, and select models come with side-turret parallax adjustment. Passion reticle options range from traditional crosshairs like the Plex and German #4 to progressive Mil-Dot and a German #4 with illuminated red dot. (Passion ED 8 x 32 mm shown)

But wait, there’s more. GPO Tactical scopes comprise a separate class altogether. Geared to AR-style rifles and long-range precision shooting, this sub-group consists of five more models utilizing either 30 mm or 34 mm tubes. Robustly built, fitted with wide-diameter turrets and mil-rad adjustments, the TAC line clearly draws on mil-spec DNA. Straight-tube 1-6X and 1-8X models boast the high-tech Horseshoe illuminated reticle, which is located in front focal plane on the latter model. The long-range products offer 5X or 6X zoom ranges, including 6-24x50 mm (shown) and 5-30x56 mm units equipped with mil-dot reticles and side parallax adjustment.

GPO binoculars also track from basic and affordable (starting at $350-$400) to impressive and salty (topping out at $1,300-$1,400), but likewise stop short of top echelon. It’s what some companies would call good and better on the good>better>best scale.

The chief differentiator between them is the glass, hence the respective Passion ED (good) and Passion HD (better) lines. With a couple of exceptions the EDs are more compact. Those with 32-mm objectives weigh just 17.6 ozs. while measuring under 5” in length; 42-mm models have a bit more heft at 23.6 ozs. and are 5.7” long. However there are also big 8x56 and 10x56 EDs, which go about 41 ozs. by 7.5” in length. The upscale HDs come with 42 or 50 mm objectives in magnifications ranging from 8X to 12.5X. These glasses are competitive with anything on the market in terms of weight and field of view, particularly in the very popular 8x42 and 10x42 sizes, and they also are upgraded with a center-focusing locking diopter.

The entire stable is built on tough, lightweight magnesium bodies and hinges in an open-bridge design that eases gripping comfort. Their glass is also treated with GPObright high-tech coatings.

For a first-look trial we chose samples that reflected the company’s dual-pronged marketing strategy. A scope that impressed several NRA Publications editors is the GPOTAC 1-8X-24 mm (shown). Built like a tank on a 34 mm tube with a first focal plane illuminated reticle, this is the preferred configuration of many tactical operators but not one offered by a lot of companies, and leading models cost $3,000-plus. It so happens that GPO’s entry in this elite niche is their second-most expensive scope, but at $1,800 MAP, it will turn heads.

[Linked Image]

Mounted on a DPMS 24 Special, we fired groups while testing adjustment repeatability at 100 and 300 yds. Following the first groups on center bullseyes, we alternated shots in opposite corners spaced 5 moa apart in both windage and elevation. All six groups printed less than 1.25 moa, and while the original center groups were somewhat tighter, the others were respectable. The optical performance from this scope was also a highlight, delivering bright, clear images that fell just a couple ticks shy of a pricier Leica Magnus 1-6.3X a partner had on the range that day. For further info on this GPO flagship model, look for an American Rifleman “Dope Bag” review in an upcoming issue.

On the binocular side we went to the bargain shelf and selected the Passion ED 32. This trim little unit is the firm’s cheapest bino at $360 MAP. At just 17.6 ozs., it proved well worth the tote during summer hikes on the Appalachian Trail. In fact the optical quality was surprisingly good, both in direct sunlight and shadow, and helped us to keep tabs on deer, turkeys and songbirds. At dawn and dusk, the performance fell off and certainly it doesn’t compare with bigger, more serious (read more expensive) glasses. While it’s not the ideal tool for long stints glassing faraway subjects, this bino really would serve many hunters’ needs just fine, specifically in cases where one uses them for brief and occasional looks at short to medium distances. Choosing a binocular is personal and rarely will anyone regret investing in a high-end model. Even so, eastern deer hunters, bowhunters, turkey hunters, waterfowlers and others really shouldn’t feel compelled to carry anything bigger and costlier. They’d also be a good optic to keep in one’s vehicle, handy when you need it. Noteworthy too, is that these glasses come in four color options—black, green, desert sand and dark earth, while all other GPO binos are dressed solely in basic black.

Naturally Jensen is eager for customers to gain awareness of the GPO brand. “My Arizona upbringing has had a strong influence on what we’re doing. I grew up on a gun shop floor, my father was a competitive shooter and USA shooting team coach and my older brother was a hard-core mountain hunter. So my outdoor DNA, with regards to accuracy, product quality and product durability, is what I am all about,” he says. “I’ve also spent years competing in tournaments and grinding up mountain ridgelines. So I make sure that when we design optical products, these products 100 percent fit the real needs of the market, that they are the best quality in the product segment, and that they will absolutely hold up when hunters and shooters are abusing them. We build what I would rely on.”

If there is anything you're looking for please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you.
Have a great day.

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000, 212-753-5128
Please visit our web site @ www.cameralandny.com
Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

Please visit www.PelagicOutfitters.com for your Fishing Tackle needs

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doug,
Is Mike Jensen the son of Bob Jensen of Jensen Custom Ammunition in Tucson?

Last edited by ChrisF; 08/29/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike Jenson is from Zeiss.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Doug,
Is Mike Jensen the son of Bob Jensen of Jensen Custom Ammunition in Tucson?

You know your people, yes he is smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
In this case, the German designs are manufactured in Japan and other Asian nations.

Meaning China I assume.

China can manufacture quality goods, the Apple Iphone is made there and virtually everyone agrees it's a quality product. However, Apple is able to demand and receive quality because of their status as an 800 lb gorilla, they can rigidly control QC from start to finish in their factory. The Chinese mentality is always going to be to cut corners and downgrade quality until they get caught, that's just what they do. The Japanese won't do that, it's a point of honor for them which the Chinese don't possess. I'm in China and Japan quite a bit for work and it's amazing the difference in cultures. A colleague once remarked that you could leave your suitcase on the sidewalk in China and it'd be stolen inside a minute, in Japan they'd wash and iron the clothes then repack it for you, find you and deliver it to your door. Despite both being Asian the cultures couldn't be farther apart, they're THAT different.

I don't trust that any small startup can get consistent quality out of a Chinese supplier. A huge company like Apple can get it by sheer dominance, but trying to get Schimdt Bender or Swarovski quality out of the Chinese isn't likely to happen from a small reseller.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, GOP is brought to you by top folks formally of Zeiss and Swarovski and they know what they are doing and who they are working with.

Please take a peek at this binocular reviewposted by one of the members here.

Because of who is behind GPO I would not consider them "a small start up" company, just my $.02

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
In this case, the German designs are manufactured in Japan and other Asian nations.

Meaning China I assume.

China can manufacture quality goods, the Apple Iphone is made there and virtually everyone agrees it's a quality product. However, Apple is able to demand and receive quality because of their status as an 800 lb gorilla, they can rigidly control QC from start to finish in their factory. The Chinese mentality is always going to be to cut corners and downgrade quality until they get caught, that's just what they do. The Japanese won't do that, it's a point of honor for them which the Chinese don't possess. I'm in China and Japan quite a bit for work and it's amazing the difference in cultures. A colleague once remarked that you could leave your suitcase on the sidewalk in China and it'd be stolen inside a minute, in Japan they'd wash and iron the clothes then repack it for you, find you and deliver it to your door. Despite both being Asian the cultures couldn't be farther apart, they're THAT different.

I don't trust that any small startup can get consistent quality out of a Chinese supplier. A huge company like Apple can get it by sheer dominance, but trying to get Schimdt Bender or Swarovski quality out of the Chinese isn't likely to happen from a small reseller.

Their more expensive stuff is Japanese. Japs can, and do make fantastic optics, and have for a long time.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
FWIW, GOP is brought to you by top folks formally of Zeiss and Swarovski and they know what they are doing and who they are working with.

Please take a peek at this binocular reviewposted by one of the members here.

Because of who is behind GPO I would not consider them "a small start up" company, just my $.02

Same people who brought us the Terras?

Swarovski does not outsource/OEM any of their optics.

All of the great Zeiss is made in house as well.

How are they different than Tract/Maven/Eagle Optics etc?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wrote the review that Doug posted the link to and would be happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to PM me. I can only speak to the Japan production product since that's what I purchased and compared.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would wonder how different it is than Tract and I would wonder how it would compare to nightforce mechanically

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I recently received the Passion HD, 12.5x50 and will be doing a comparison/evaluation through out the hunting season for Mr. Mike Jensen. Initial impression is I absolutely LOVE the eye cups. Not necessarily the eye cups them selves, but what ever system they designed to adjust the eye cups. They are extremely strong and stay where you put them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Is this the future of optics? Salesman find Capitol investors, who hire bean counters to hire designers who work with marketing experts to come up with a name that will mislead Joe average into believing his Chinese made scope is comparable to a high end European model?
Plus, we get the " the higher end model is made in a high end shop in Japan" and they elude to the possibility that it's LOW and of course you then get the comparison that they are almost the same quality as Nightforce. It's complete dejavu of the tract thread. This guy came from Zeiss, tract guy came from Nikon etc....

One question...these conversations always argue that the Japanese are making some of the best glass in the world now and are on par or better than anything European or American in origin. Why not just use Japan in the name or a Japanese sounding name? Japanese precision optics?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Is this the future of optics? Salesman find Capitol investors, who hire bean counters to hire designers who work with marketing experts to come up with a name that will mislead Joe average into believing his Chinese made scope is comparable to a high end European model?
Plus, we get the " the higher end model is made in a high end shop in Japan" and they elude to the possibility that it's LOW and of course you then get the comparison that they are almost the same quality as Nightforce. It's complete dejavu of the tract thread. This guy came from Zeiss, tract guy came from Nikon etc....

Seems like it.

Unless they're the former chief engineer for Schmidt & Bender or some other high end European maker then their name association means nothing. Some salesman that worked for Swarovski deciding to go out on his own & sell Chinese made optics is about like some local car salesman selling for yugo & declaring it's just as good as a Mercedes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I say put the products out there and let the best man win. The consumer will decide, as always.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I say put the products out there and let the guy with the "tacticool" look and manly bro ad campaign win. The average consumer is stupid, as always.

Fixed it for you.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by jackmountain

One question...these conversations always argue that the Japanese are making some of the best glass in the world now and are on par or better than anything European or American in origin. Why not just use Japan in the name or a Japanese sounding name? Japanese precision optics?

Yes, this seems to be the present and future of hunting optics [with the exception of a tiny flicker of hope that I will mention later].

The high-end European scopes can no longer improve their quality or performance as the scope's have practically reached the apex of optical performance in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. This peak was already achieved by Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss etc. in late nighties so what we have seen since is a) the invention of some "new reticles" each year and b) more zoom range. This second avenue has also hit its practical limit so the only thing left is introducing more reticle patterns..

In the past few years Schmidt and Bender went crazy with introduction of way too many models and variations.. (There are literally several handed variations and models in the PMII line) and the hunting line is confused too. Their chief optical designer (Dr Karen Hesse, who is sometimes my friend, sometimes my competition, depending on her employment situation) has left the company and now Herr Gerlach is following I am not sure what direction. NECG has also separated itself from Schmidt and Bender after 25 years of being their US representative...

Zeiss is now producing the ugliest and bulkiest hunting rifle scopes ever with a 36 millimeter!!!!! main tube diameter just not to fall behind the zoom range race... The amusing thing is the main reason for this was not technical but legal (patents from Swarovski). I don't like the V8 model nor the previous HT. I think the best Zeiss scopes are the Diavari models.

Swarovski has stayed away from going too crazy but has not produced anything really useful or innovative in the past 20 years either. They discarded the FFP models (=simpler manufacturing) and increased zoom to 6X, then last year they increased it further to 8X (Thank you so much!! This is so exciting)

There has been little innovation useful to big-game hunters by high-end German manufacturers and there is steep competition over sourcing on the mid range side of the market. What Mr Schmidt did is a legitimate business model but its not exactly exciting news from the point of view of an enthusiast big-game hunter. I have met Mr. Schmidt in person and I wish him good luck but I probably won't be buying any of these so-called "German" precision optical scopes. I won't be buying any new model Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender or Swarovski rifle scopes either. I highly respect all the past efforts by Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender and Swarovski scientists and engineers. They pushed the limits of optical quality till they reached the peak and this, ironically, made them redundant! Then, "smart" marketers and "bean counting" CFOs took over and looked towards China...

-Omid

P.S. Regarding the small hope that I mentioned at the beginning, I have been developing and patenting some innovative concepts myself. I might introduce some of them if the forum members here are interested blush laugh

Last edited by Omid; 09/05/17.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Omid,

I don't know what you're working on, but I beg of you sir, on behalf of the common man....make a scope with RELIABLE elevation dialing and RTO with capped windage at a moderate price...and you'll be able to roll around in your money-pile like Scrooge McDuck. SWFA scope lines come OH so close to achieving this....but for the uncapped windage elevation part of course. Same/same with the Nightforce SHV line-up, but for the capped elevation. Both are awesome of course, but both fail (if just a little bit) to knock it out of the park.

Being able to count the rings of Jupiter (Zeiss/Swarovski) or a magnification range of 1-100 isn't what most people want....nor is a warranty that must continually be utilized (Leupold/Vortex).

Don't need a reticle that looks like a game of tic-tac/toe either...MAYBE a hash or two of windage for hold-off, though even that isn't necessary.

Signed,

Every Hunter in America

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'd be hesitant to speak for every hunter..

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I'd be hesitant to speak for every hunter..

I'm taking artistic license brother...and I'm afraid I can't be stopped.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by iddave
Omid,

I don't know what you're working on, but I beg of you sir, on behalf of the common man....make a scope with RELIABLE elevation dialing and RTO with capped windage at a moderate price...and you'll be able to roll around in your money-pile like Scrooge ... Don't need a reticle that looks like a game of tic-tac/toe either...MAYBE a hash or two of windage for hold-off, though even that isn't necessary.

Signed,

Every Hunter in America

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your encouraging comments. Your wishes have come true: one of my inventions is exactly related to the problem you mentioned (maintaining original zero). In almost all riflescopes, the erector assembly which includes the reticle is tilted to adjust for elevation or windage (see picture below). This is a fundamental design flaw both optically and mechanically. I have designed a rifle scope which does not adjust point of aim by moving the reticle inside the scope. The reticle and all the lenses always remain perfectly aligned inside the scope.

I also have another scope design which does not have a fixed eye relief: you can position your eye at any distance behind the eyepiece (even to its left and right) and you still see the target image. I'll probably create a new topic and introduce some of the innovations. laugh

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.