Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This wasn't the only coverage of the attack. According to other reports they did NOT shout at the bear before it charged, though they may have as it charged. One of the guys did have a handgun (legal in Montana when bowhunting) and drew it, but the bear knocked it out of his hand before he could shoot--which is when they tried to use pepper-spray.

Always love it when so many people who've never seen a grizzly talk about what the big handgun they'd be carrying in bear country--and how it would have solved the problem, pronto.

Also loved the comment from somebody who apparently didn't read this story, and assumed they were carrying rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by Ringman
Who would go into the woods without an adequate firearm? I do believe a hard cast from even a .357 to head of that offending bear would have changed its aggression.

This is good in theory, but in reality, damn few people can shoot a charging grizzly in the head with a handgun-or a rifle for that matter. Even well-practiced police officers miss far more than they hit in close-range gun fights, when the excitement is high. Properly deployed bear spray has proven many times to be effective. It needs to be used correctly and also, it needs to be replaced after about three years to assure potency.

I was thinking about when the bear was on his buddy.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You mean when a grizzly and human are rolling around, connected by the bear's teeth around the human's head?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have been on the wrong end of the dance with a bear. those that think you have all the time in the world to sort out what to do are blowing smoke. the world takes on a fluid appearance and you are caught in quick sand. in my case there was no physical contact but i had a hard time walking away due to the load in my pants!
i am sure that it won't change anyone's opinion of bear spray or no bear spray but me and mine live with grizzlies 24/7/365 and we depend on it.
shoot and wound a 500 pound pizzed off bear and you are not going to improve his mood for the better. lay down a fog with the RIGHT spray between you and your chances improve . a 44 mag bullet is .429 inches in diameter. a 3ftx10 ft fog of spray is 30 square feet of barrier that can save you.
ymmv

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/06/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by grovey
I can't imagine standing there with a big game rifle in hand waiting on a charging bear with an already bloody muzzle to get close enough for me to spray it with the pepper spray I've never tested.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he only had a .223, and was waiting for the right shot.

Last edited by Zerk; 09/06/17.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Zerk,

They were bowhunting, so didn't have rifles in their hands.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
waiting for the right shot? don't happen unless your grubby fist is down the throat with gun in hand
it is impossible to imagine what this type of encounter is like.
like getting sucker punched while whispering love notes into your girls ear. the brain can't process what is really going on if it is a close charge, and most are because it is proximity that creates the situation. the bear see's you as a threat. in my case the bear realized i was no threat by the high pitched scream coming from somewhere very close to my position. i had a black hawk 41 mag, and a bow and spray. i used the spray.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Stalker: What is "the Right spray"? Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
UDAP created by a survivor. get the big can . shoots 30 or so ft and billows . hope you are up wind. it stains grin
we ran over a can in moose camp and had to move camp. had a nice orange tiger striping on our white jeep.
i saved the holster and 5 years later the wife (who is allergic to any kind of pepper) found it in the bottom of my duffle bag. almost broke us up. it is strong. plus if the bear does come through and eat you it is easily identified by its pretty color.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
G-bears been protected by endangered status for so long that they ain't worried about bipods or what their carrying for bear protection. Probably the original idea in the first place, to many bears to serve as deterent to excess nonresident hunting. those PETA type FWS people prolly dreamed it all up 40 years ago in the name of G-bear recovery. Well, well bet that deal cut short their hunting trip.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You mean when a grizzly and human are rolling around, connected by the bear's teeth around the human's head?

A few years ago a young man killed his hunting partner up here, on the Idaho-Montana border, in pretty much that situation...

Regards,
Ben
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

HOLD STILL JOHN!

GLOCK!GLOCK!GLOCK!GLOCK!

John? John?....

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by grovey
I can't imagine standing there with a big game rifle in hand waiting on a charging bear with an already bloody muzzle to get close enough for me to spray it with the pepper spray I've never tested.

I can't imagine bowhunting with a big game rifle.

Not without a spotlight anyway.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

DIfferent report

HELENA, Mont. — A grizzly bear mauled a bow hunter in southwestern Montana, slashing a 16-inch (41-centimeter) cut in his head that required 90 stitches to close.

“I could hear bones crunching, just like you read about,” said Tom Sommer, as he recovered in a Montana hospital on Tuesday afternoon.

Sommer said he and a hunting partner were looking for an elk they had been calling Monday morning when his partner spotted a grizzly bear feeding on an elk carcass in the southern end of the Gravelly Range, just north of the Idaho border.

“The bear just flat-out charged us,” Sommer said. He said it closed the 30-foot (9-meter) distance in 3 or 4 seconds.

His hunting partner deployed his bear spray, which slowed the bear’s charge. Sommer said he grabbed his canister so quickly that he couldn’t release the safety and he couldn’t afford to look down as the bear closed in. He ran around a tree twice and dropped his bear spray in the process.

Sommer, who splits his time among Idaho, Missouri and Florida.

His hunting partner had been able to deploy the rest of his bear spray, ending the attack Sommer estimated lasted about 25 seconds.

“It could have been a lot worse,” he said.

Sommer found his bear spray canister. His hunting partner had some blood coagulation powder and they made a turban, stopping the bleeding after about 15 minutes.
They walked a mile back to their spike camp and rode mules another 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) out to their base camp, followed by a 2-hour ride in a pickup truck to get to the hospital in Ennis.

“Through it all I was very conscious, very level-headed and low key about it,” Sommer said. “Besides some scars, it doesn’t appear that I will have any problems.”

“I’ve been a hunter my whole life,” said Sommer, 57. “I have no grievance against the bear. He was just doing what bears do. But I would have shot him just the same.”

http://nypost.com/2017/09/05/grizzly-bear-mauls-bow-hunter-slashes-open-head/

Easy to Monday morning quarter back this one, which doesn't help him. I'm guessing he wishes he had either been more familiar with the bear spray or grabbed his handgun first. (I would have gone for the handgun myself but I wasn't there)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are allowed to carry a side arm in Montana while Archery Hunting. You just are not allowed to dispatch an animal with it. But may use it ANYTIME for self defense.If you have a CWP it can be out if sight.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I would like to meet the guy who could roll around with a griz mauling him.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ringman

I would like to meet the guy who could roll around with a griz mauling him.

I'm sure he would find you equally impressive.

Dave

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Zerk,

They were bowhunting, so didn't have rifles in their hands.

What is the law out there, can you have a handgun? Granted you need quite the cannon with a grizzly. Some states violate the 2nd Amendment when bow hunting. Sadly hunter put up with to much suppression of the 2nd Amendment. With the DNR you are guilty without committing a crime. Having a load gun, unless pointing it at something is not a crime.

IMO DNR are traitors to this country.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Slider1
You are allowed to carry a side arm in Montana while Archery Hunting. You just are not allowed to dispatch an animal with it. But may use it ANYTIME for self defense.If you have a CWP it can be out if sight.

So can shoot a person with it, but must pepper spray on bears?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by Slider1

So can shoot a person with it, but must pepper spray on bears?

Don't worry about it, stupid. You'll never venture this far regardless.

Dave

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.