Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
A
How many of you have rifles that just doesn't like boat tail bullets? What style have you had better luck with? I understand the concept of the boat tail design but for my hunting situations I have no place to shoot over 250 yards, so the design doesn't have that many advantages at that distance.

HR IC

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot mostly FB bullets like you not into the ultra long range stuff as much anymore, more and more lately I find Speer's bullets seem to be my favorite good selection and great accuracy

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two rifles that don't seem to like boat tails. They shoot flat base bullets fine. I usually buy flat base bullets because the distances here hunting are not long enough a boat tail will have an advantage. I usually buy Honady bullets but I bought Rem Corelokts for years.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I did read some data stating that because of the design on the BT the internal pressure can vary more than the FB. I personally have no data to support their claim. I can see where the design of the bottom could cause a difference in pressure but to cause a spread in pressure variance from round to round would more data. That being said, yes I can see, with all other variables being the same (weight, length, material, diameter, manufacturing process), how the bottom design would effect pressure and thus the downstream effect of how a round will shoot.

Some say to use your load data using the same lot of materials (powder, bullets, primer, cases). When a lot changes, re-develop / tweek your load. If I were shooting a 1000 yard competition, I might do just that. If I'm shooting a Bull Elk at 200 yards, uuuuhhh maybe not so much not so much.

That's me ... YMMV

BJ

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flat base bullets are shorter. Some rifles like this. Also I have read the Crown is less critical with flate base bullets.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For people that like to seat their bullets out further than normal, the boat tail bullet does not allow one to get a good grip on the bullet because of the length of the boat tail itself. powdr

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much grip do you need?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mathman, most say at least a caliber. I know when seating the 180gr BT in the 338-284... that with the boat tail and an average of .338 grip on the straight shank of the bullet it left the bullet dreadfully low in the neck of the case. As a matter of fact, it went all the way to the neck shoulder junction. powdr

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was wondering if that's what you were thinking. But thousands upon thousands of great shooting 300 Win. magnums and 300 Savages ought to put that idea to rest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget .223's...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not really Mathman, everyone knows that to shoot a boat tail bullet in a 300 W or S the bullet still must be seated lower in the case. It has nothing to do with a certain caliber or cartridge. It has everything to do with getting a bullet seated straight w/a good grip and it's hard to do w/a short neck cartridge. Now there's always the guy that comes along and says mine shoots boat tails fine w/an .055 grip on the bullet. The problem w/that is I've just never met him. And don't give me the age old, well the target shooters often have very little grip on their bullets. That's an entirely different discussion. You might want to go measure yours Mathman, just as a point of interest. You see there's not one in ten that can tell how far down in the case their bullet sticks. They all can tell what their COL is but don't have a clue what grip they have on their bullet. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the point he was trying to make was certain cartridges don't even have 1 caliber worth of neck available (like the 3 mentioned so far) and there are plenty of examples of accurate arms chambered for those cartridges.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Azar
I believe the point he was trying to make was certain cartridges don't even have 1 caliber worth of neck available (like the 3 mentioned so far) and there are plenty of examples of accurate arms chambered for those cartridges.

Pretty much it.

I have a 700 Classic in 300 Savage that's a super shooter, and no matter the loading procedure there's only about .2" of neck to work with.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by powdr
Not really Mathman, everyone knows that to shoot a boat tail bullet in a 300 W or S the bullet still must be seated lower in the case. It has nothing to do with a certain caliber or cartridge. It has everything to do with getting a bullet seated straight w/a good grip and it's hard to do w/a short neck cartridge. Now there's always the guy that comes along and says mine shoots boat tails fine w/an .055 grip on the bullet. The problem w/that is I've just never met him. And don't give me the age old, well the target shooters often have very little grip on their bullets. That's an entirely different discussion. You might want to go measure yours Mathman, just as a point of interest. You see there's not one in ten that can tell how far down in the case their bullet sticks. They all can tell what their COL is but don't have a clue what grip they have on their bullet. powdr

Actually, whether or not you can get "a caliber's worth" of grip depends exactly on the particular cartridge. If there isn't a neck that long then it can't be done, as in the examples I mentioned.

As far as seating bullets straight, measurements beyond simple COL and the like I'm pretty sure I have a decent grasp of the subject.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well I've loaded for my 7 x 57 Featherweight for this season...

30 grains of 4198, with a 139 grain Hornady...

but my local source has dropped the FB version, and is just selling the boat tailed version..

so I'm grumbling away to myself...

but truth be told, once I quit crying in my beer over it...

I am sure the combo will be just fine...

I think we all get particular over change, if it is not our choosing...

The deer will never know the difference, believe me...

heck, I've been bitching for 20 plus years as they keep on dropping Round Nose bullets
from product lines...I just don't need all the changes that everyone else thinks they need..

I also don't need a 500 yd load, to drop a raggedy blacktail at 100 to 150 yds...

heck I was feeding them moldy biscuits out of the frig yesterday, that my wife hadn't thrown out..
out in my front yard....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I never said anything about the darn length of the neck. I said a grip of one caliber has been used for a long time standard no matter how long the neck is. So you want to argue over .2 or .3 on a 300 Savage. You win Mathman. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 09/08/17.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My point was the "standard" doesn't hold much water since there are so many well functioning counterexamples to its necessity.

It's not about "winning," it's about logic and facts.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm sure some have already seen this, but it seems appropriate to put it here: Flat-Base And Boattail Rifle Bullets by John Barsness

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by powdr
I never said anything about the darn length of the neck. I said a grip of one caliber has been used for a long time standard no matter how long the neck is. So you want to argue over .2 or .3 on a 300 Savage. You win Mathman. powdr

If you want to use that as your yardstick, go for it. There's nothing wrong with doing that at all. I don't know who initially suggested it years ago, but it's an easy thing to do.

In cases with shorter necks, I limit my bullet weights so that the base comes to the bottom of case neck, and never deeper than the bottom of the shoulder. If I need a heavier bullet, I change cartridges. Some people do not have that option though. A few guys at my club lengthen the throat so they can use heavier bullets, but I've never done that myself.

WRT cases with short necks, when I first built loads for my 6x45mm (made from 223 Rem cases), I seated the base of the bullet to the bottom of the neck and saw if it would chamber. Then went from there with powders.

Almost everything I read about this cartridge suggested a max. OAL of 2.26 inches, but that was only because of the AR mags. After all, is a wildcat, so there is no SAAMI spec. Even then, chambers are different, rifle to rifle. I built a varmint rifle from a Savage Model 10 action and the mag length was 2.39 inches. Lots of room, so the only restriction was the chamber. As a result, I don't load anything over 85 grains in that rifle. In my case, the max OAL with that bullet is 2.31 inches. And the long bullets are BTs. The base sits at the bottom of the shoulder area.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Steve, that's exactly what I do. I don't want the bullet below the base of the neck shoulder junction. It's just that some of the younger guys don't understand that it's not easy to shoot boat tails and keep them straight in the case w/only a slight grip on them. Wasn't trying to win anybody over or change anyone's mind. powdr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.