Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I finally got my Magnetospeed V3 today. I used a cleaning rod to find which spacers to use with 4 rifles and wrote it down. Any tips on setting up or using my chronograph will be great appreciated.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The biggest flaw I have found is in the design of the strap clamp. Pay attention to it while firing a long string of rounds as it tends to slide to the muzzle a little with each recoil. I burned the strap when it slid far enough to the end of the barrel. I'm just about ready to replace it with some kind of rubber jawed C clamp or something.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Install over barrel with the strap as tight as you can get and then get the knob as tight as you can. Check after every shot. Check after every shot.

I've had them slide or come a bit loose, but caught prior to shooting. I watched one (not mine) go flying down the range, twice, in one session!

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the tips. I wonder if wrapping some tape a few wraps around the barrel ahead of the strap would help?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Thanks for the tips. I wonder if wrapping some tape a few wraps around the barrel ahead of the strap would help?

Just make sure it's blue.

Should work. laugh

In fact, I might even try that.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Heading to the range in the morning. I wrapped all four barrels with duct tape on the rifles I'm taking. I set the bayonet on the barrels and measured from the muzzle to the rubber pad on top of the unit and gave the barrels 3 wraps around (and trimmed the excess) for a stop. I'll still check the strap tension after each shot even if it doesn't slip. I'm taking a tape measure to check for slippage. Since the tape is gray instead of blue it prolly won't work. blush

If it doesn't work I may get some tape with glue on both sides and put a strip on top of the barrel with the strap cinches on it.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 09/07/17.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After I get the right "stack" of spacers, I remove the tightening knob, shorten the strap to where I can just get the stud back through hole and thread the knob on. I get more slack out that way. This is for a gun with a front sight.

Perry
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tape does help. I've had some on after hunting, and it does help keep it from sliding forward.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
most of the time we put it on a tapered barrel that promotes it sliding forward and getting loose. I have used the tape idea and also wrapping a few rubber bands in front of it when o forgot tape.. a fellow at the range one day secured his with double sided tape on the mounting surfaces and the strap.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
The tape worked perfect for me today. I did tighten the knob more after a couple of shots. No problems at all today on my 4 rifles.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
DirtFarmer & I built stand alone pedestal bases for ours. We like them. MagnetoSpeed was happy to modify my bayonet for my application. DF did his own.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Magnetospeed is by far the most convenient chrono I have used....BUT... the strap clamp and knob doohickey can be frustrating. As has been noted by prm above, Check it after every shot.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
753 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.