Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Late August looking back at the drainage we just climbed out of to set up camp in the Alaska Chugach mountains. Spirits were high as we spotted several goats at higher elevations on the way up.

[Linked Image]

Sunrise next morning arose to mountain weather; wind, rain, sleet and snow. Climbed a couple thousand feet to scope, but visibility was poor. Did not see a goat.

Another day dawned to some light snow cover. Climbed to where we scoped yesterday and there where goats everywhere. Nannies and kid groups and several lone billies. Spent a lot of time looking them over and decided to make a move on one, but when we arrived to where we thought he should be...nothing. Swung around the mountain side and spotted a good one. A snow squall came up and delayed our stalk.
[Linked Image]

In 1/2 hour we got him in sight again. The guide stayed put with the spotting scope on him while I continued to close on him. I was hoping to get within 300 yards. Occasionally I would look back at the guide with my binos for directions because I lost sight of the goat. A look back and the guide signaled to stop and pointed up. I look up and there are two goats just above me. I had over shot my stalk and came in just below them. In the split seconds that followed I could not tell which goat I was after and could not be sure of my target. Got a quick cell phone pic of one as they disappeared. There was not much daylight left so we headed back to camp with the plan to be back in the area at first light.

[Linked Image]

0 dark hundred we are on the climb and as we got close to destination and waited for daybreak. The sound of rocks rolling alerted us to possible game moving. Silence, then the rattle of rocks again. Two goats appeared on a slope in front of us and I ranged them at about 600 yards. I was almost certain one was the goat I stalked yesterday. No chance to close the distance because of the open terrain so we waited until they fed out of sight. The guide suggested we climb rather than follow them.

In the climb we had a close call with three nannies and two kids, but they did not see us. Whew! As we crossed a loose boulder field we spotted the goats quartering towards us. I put my daypack down on a boulder and secured a good rest. The guide said they are 225 yards and closing. A remarkable thing I learned about goats is they can take a hit. The first goat I shot a few years acted like he was never hit and I put a second one in him almost on top of the first. This goat reacted the same way. He continued walking, the guide said he saw a solid lung hit thru the spotting scope. Put one into his shoulder for good measure.

Once again the 150 gr Nosler BT teamed up with a Ruger 77 7x57 has proved to be good Goat medicine.
[Linked Image]

A comment on gear. Badland bino harness and cover was awesome. A big improvement over the homemade one I put together and used for years. Cabela's Rimrock hiking boots continue to be my favorite.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done, roundoak! Magnificent animal!

You appear to have discovered the fountain of youth laugh :

Originally Posted by roundoak

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Awesome job bud!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Beautiful country up. Great job. That's a hint of mine towards the top of my bucket list!! Nice goat

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your story and the great pics.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
FAN.............TASTIC ! ! !

Enjoyed the story. Super pix.

Looks like a BIG Billy.

Congrats !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the great goat. Super cool with 7X57.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Stunning pics roundoak, and a well deserved goat to boot. Fantastic adventure, thanks for posting. Congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't see too many threads on here about goats, very underrated animals. Congratulations on a really nice billy, it's cool that you used your 7x57 again. We have found like you have a goat sure can take a hit that would drop pretty much any other animal quickly.

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done! Beautiful Mtn. goat and fantastic country, plus a very interesting story.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful!

I agree Gerry. I'd love a shot at a goat!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done!

Todd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful goat!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats, thanks for sharing. Great story, pics and goat. Well done.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That's awesome!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Well done, roundoak! Magnificent animal!

You appear to have discovered the fountain of youth laugh :

Originally Posted by roundoak

[Linked Image]

Ha!, gained some weight, trimmed my beard and the make-up artist on the film set was talented. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gained some weight to go on a goat hunt! If you need more I might be able to contribute.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gerry35
Don't see too many threads on here about goats, very underrated animals. Congratulations on a really nice billy, it's cool that you used your 7x57 again. We have found like you have a goat sure can take a hit that would drop pretty much any other animal quickly.

Gerry, a couple hunters at the gun club with many goats to their credit have mentioned the same to me. They further opined that a spinal hit will produce a violent reaction, though. Interesting animal, interesting habitat.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Gained some weight to go on a goat hunt! If you need more I might be able to contribute.

laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.