Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12260682 09/09/17
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I was reading another thread and several were recommending the Buck Mark over Ruger Mark pistols and others. Why is that? I have several Rugers and had one Buckmark with the 7.25" heavy barrel. The Buck Mark was a fine .22 but it is now gone and my Rugers are still here. What do you prefer about Brownings?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That they ain't Rugers.......

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you. Helpful answer.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DesertMuleDeer: I will try to give you some first hand "non-smart ass" information from MY experiences over the years (decades with some!) with the MK series of Ruger pistols and the Buck Mark line of pistols.
First of all I currently own 15 (fifteen) Ruger MK pistols in all four model variations (MK-I, MK-II, MK-III and MK-IV) most of them are heavy barrels and some are equipped with optical sighting devices - I also currently own and shoot 4 (four) Buck Mark pistols and 1 (one) Buck Mark Rifle - all of them have heavy barrels and all have optical devises for sighting.
I think, based on my experiences, that the two brands of pistols are very comparable in accuracy, trigger pull (crispness) and reliability (functioning).
They both are very handsomely designed (with the slightest of edge in my opinion going to the Ruger MK's in this regard).
I also think the Ruger MK series of pistols hold their value slightly better than the Buck Mark series of pistols - in other words you are going to realize a better return on your dollar spent for a Ruger MK pistol than a Buck Mark pistol - again this is a slight advantage.
IF... and I was there once during my lifetime, initial cost is the deciding factor in obtaining one or the other then the Buck Mark holds the slight edge here.
In fact I was dealing today on an absolutely mint Ruger MK-II pistol with 6 1/2 barrel that the price today was probably right at TWICE what that mint pistols sold for NEW!
I don't see the Buck Marks doing quite that well in retention of and/or increase in value.
I fully intend to return to that gun selling venue tomorrow and bringing that sixteenth Ruger MK pistol home with me if its still available!
The Buck Marks are fine pistols and come in an amazing variety of models, styles, finishes - the magazines are a bit more pricey for the Buck Marks than for current model Ruger MK's.
Of my squad of Varmint and small game Hunting friends who own BOTH Rugers and Buck Marks omnly ONE of them clearly prefers the Buck Marks to the Ruger MK's.
I like them both but the edge goes to the MK's for me (not so much the MK 22/45 series - esthetics here sway me on this model being slightly less desirable.)
Best of luck to you if you are considering either one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: huntsman22 - see now that was not so hard was it!
I see no reason what so ever to burp up some of the schitt you do so often!
Sheesh.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have always found favor with Ruger MK series pistols and have owned several. Stone cold reliable and accurate. A couple months ago I held several MK series pistols a Buckmark and an S&W Victory back to back. The Buckmark and the Victory felt much better in my hand than the MK. The Buckmark had the edge. With the rebate going on Buckmarks and CDNN's already low prices, I think they are the way to go.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have nearly the experience with these pistols as VarmintGuy does - I have one MkII and a Buckmark. The MkII is a stainless 5.5" bull barrel. To me, it feels muzzle heavy and doesn't balance as well as the Browning. I think my Browning has about the same barrel length with the flat sides. It points much more naturally for me and I think the grip fits me better as well - it just feels better to point and shoot. I know that Ruger has at times made a slab-sided 5.5" barrel, and I suspect I would like that better than the full bull barrel I have, which just feels heavy and bulky to me.

My Buckmark's trigger is unquestionably better than the one on my MkII. The Buckmark is more accurate, or at least easier to shoot more accurately. My wife is not really a shooter, but much offers the Buckmark when plinking. Maybe if I stuck $75-$125 into a trigger job, the MkII would shoot as well or better than the Browning, but it still won't feel as good in my hand. The MkII was a gift from my wife, so I don't see getting rid of it, but if that was not the case, I would have traded for a second Buckmark long ago. Maybe I still will. It's not like it is a horrible gun, not at all. Just maybe kind of a disappointment.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah Rugers hold their value, but..............how much do those POS Buckmark Varmint or Silhouette models go for these days? wink
Had Buckmarks and Rugers........both are decent.
Just depends on what features you want.
For an iron sighted hunting rig...........I like a Colt Match Target 6" Woodsman way better.
For iron sighted target stuff............Kart slided 1911.
For optics...........Buckmark or Ruger.
For less $ and all around............Buckmark or Ruger.
Had a High Standard that was pretty badazz..........but my eyes say optic mandated anymore.
.22 pistol is just a fun rig anymore.
So..................USED Buckmark or Ruger.........whatever deal comes along wink

Last edited by hookeye; 09/10/17.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nor do I have the extensive experience of VarmintGuy, but when I needed some small parts for my Buckmark they were "out of stock" and backordered for months. I could perhaps understand if these were not parts that wear, or were for a discontinued model, but these included a firing pin and springs for current models. This wasn't my only such experience with Browning parts.

Just my experience, and I don't know that Ruger is necessarily better in that regard.

I will say that continuing support with parts and service plays a large part in my purchase decisions.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
DesertMuleDeer: I will try to give you some first hand "non-smart ass" information from MY experiences over the years (decades with some!) with the MK series of Ruger pistols and the Buck Mark line of pistols.
First of all I currently own 15 (fifteen) Ruger MK pistols in all four model variations (MK-I, MK-II, MK-III and MK-IV) most of them are heavy barrels and some are equipped with optical sighting devices - I also currently own and shoot 4 (four) Buck Mark pistols and 1 (one) Buck Mark Rifle - all of them have heavy barrels and all have optical devises for sighting.
I think, based on my experiences, that the two brands of pistols are very comparable in accuracy, trigger pull (crispness) and reliability (functioning).
They both are very handsomely designed (with the slightest of edge in my opinion going to the Ruger MK's in this regard).
I also think the Ruger MK series of pistols hold their value slightly better than the Buck Mark series of pistols - in other words you are going to realize a better return on your dollar spent for a Ruger MK pistol than a Buck Mark pistol - again this is a slight advantage.
IF... and I was there once during my lifetime, initial cost is the deciding factor in obtaining one or the other then the Buck Mark holds the slight edge here.
In fact I was dealing today on an absolutely mint Ruger MK-II pistol with 6 1/2 barrel that the price today was probably right at TWICE what that mint pistols sold for NEW!
I don't see the Buck Marks doing quite that well in retention of and/or increase in value.
I fully intend to return to that gun selling venue tomorrow and bringing that sixteenth Ruger MK pistol home with me if its still available!
The Buck Marks are fine pistols and come in an amazing variety of models, styles, finishes - the magazines are a bit more pricey for the Buck Marks than for current model Ruger MK's.
Of my squad of Varmint and small game Hunting friends who own BOTH Rugers and Buck Marks omnly ONE of them clearly prefers the Buck Marks to the Ruger MK's.
I like them both but the edge goes to the MK's for me (not so much the MK 22/45 series - esthetics here sway me on this model being slightly less desirable.)
Best of luck to you if you are considering either one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: huntsman22 - see now that was not so hard was it!
I see no reason what so ever to burp up some of the schitt you do so often!
Sheesh.

Thank you, Varmint Guy. I have been trying to figure out why so many on this site prefer Buckmark. That is a good explanation. I have had first and second gen Woodsmans, a heavy barrel 7.25" Buckmark, have a S&W 41 and 6-7 Mark II/IIIs. Overall I prefer Mark IIIs to all others. .22 handguns are one of my favorite things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't say which is better, I've never owned one of the MKs but they seem to be as well liked as the Buckmarks I got a Buckmark over 25 years ago. Good trigger and it's been shot a lot with no problems. I'd say try to handle and if possible shoot both. Get the one you like the best. You probably can't go wrong.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Prefer the slab sided reg Buckmark for looks. But like the target stuff for the adj sear.
Too much $ to piece one together.
Standard was pretty decent, but shot it in IMHSA and the trigger needed to be better.
Pops had target 5.5 and 14".
The Varmint 10" was the one I wanted. 14" just too long (I never shot unlimited class).

Trigger on recent MK2 purchase............sucks. Need to order a sear.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/10/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't forget, there is a major difference between the Mark II and Mark III. And this is mostly why the Mark II's command such good prices used.

On another note, I have owned plenty of Rugers and several Buckmarks. PIck the one that fits your hand the best and has the finish and options you like.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The BuckMark for me. I've owned one of each and shot a few others of each. The Ruger was the slab sided Comp, Target MKII model. I have no doubt that it was more accurate than I could shoot it. Killed a few squirrel and some pest birds with it. Using it to rabbit hunt, it was a pain to try and get the safety flipped quickly (although now I think there is an extended safety available).

The Browning fits my hands better, the safety is easier to flip quickly and it is lighter (model has a lot to do with that). I have probably in the neighborhood of 4 - 5k rounds through it and can't remember ever having an issue, not that I ever did with the Ruger either. The trigger could stand a little work, the MKII could've too. (Didn't I read somewhere that you could do a little 5 minute trigger job on the Browning by reversing a spring or something?) I've never had it apart to look. I agree that it is easier to shoot accurately than the Ruger. Even with the shorter sight radius I can shoot it as accurately as the Ruger with open sights. I've never put a scope on the Browning or even shot it from a bench but I'd be willing to bet that it is about as accurate as the Ruger I had.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't really have a dog in this hunt, my go-to rimfire pistol is a Nelson conversion on a dedicated 1911 frame. I am an experienced smith and have worked on many Rugers and Buckmarks. The reliability and accuracy are about equal out of the box, the choice boils down to feel. The pistols feel different and one will feel more "right". I agree that CDNN's prices on the Buckmark is unbeatable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just an anecdote,
Buddies dad had a Bm Silhouette with an Aimpoint,
off a bench or resting against a pole that thing would
break clay birds at 100 yards easily. Then you could
hit the pieces. Darn thing impressed me, both that it
could do that. And that, helped by the gun, that I could.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by dave284
(Didn't I read somewhere that you could do a little 5 minute trigger job on the Browning by reversing a spring or something?)

It's called the Heggis Flip. People seem to report mixed results and potential safety issues. It's just me but I'll pass on it. YMMV

Click Here

Last edited by ned; 09/11/17.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks Ned. I didn't know what it was called and had never studied on it. Looks to be a lot of controversy on this mod.One of these days I'll take the gun apart and study the inner workings and make up my own mind. Probably end up doing some stoning and smoothing or the Volquartsen route.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just saw this thread on the Buckmarks and thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

I own both the 10" Varmint and Silhouette models, both of which are spot on at 100 yards. Can knock down 4" steel animal silhouettes all day long.
Also own a 14" Unlimited class Buckmark which is just as deadly accurate.
All 3 have heavy straight bull barrels on the with no taper. I believe these three models are the only models with adjustable triggers in the rear just below the slide. They are definitely what you would expect a target pistol to be.

I also own some of the current model River MK IV hunter 7.25" bull barrels in SS. I think they are well built and shoot just as nice. I don't think they are as accurate long range as my bull barrel Buckmarks.

I would highly recommend the 10" Buckmarks if you can find them at a reasonable price? There was one on here last year on the classifieds that went for $975.00. A little steep I say?? Also seen them in stores used for that price.

Another impressive piece that I have is a S&W 22S model. It is a 5.5" heavy barrel with an oversized laminate grip. This pistol is also very impressive and affordable.

Good luck with your future purchases!

Best,

Kimbo

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had 3 completely different models or Ruger's and could never shoot any of them well. The last change was to a Buckmark and it was what I needed.
Everyone is different and what they shoot best will be what "fits" them.
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Ruger 22s.

Oh except takedown reassembly, I never got good at that with the Rugers.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kimbo
I would highly recommend the 10" Buckmarks if you can find them

I'm just the opposite. I'd highly recommend throwing the 10" barrel away and going with 4". Something to be said for 'handy'. If I need a full-length rifle, I'll grab a rifle.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 70 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.