Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Given the progress in internal combustion engine efficiency and the nearly unending supply of cheap oil to run them, electric cars are way too late to the party except for dummies who think that electricity is free/non-polluting and that highly-toxic batteries disappear once you stop charging them.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are 4 dams on the Snake River after it leaves Idaho and before it reaches the Columbia. All 4 have large power plants. There has been a push for years to remove the dams to restore salmon runs up the Snake which were obliterated by the dams. We'll never see another major dam built in this country so cheap, clean power generation is as high as it'll ever be right now. If the greenies keep pushing to remove dams, it will drop, not increase. Now that coal is a bad word, coal plants won't be built either. They're pushing us more and more toward unreliable wind power or nukes and nukes are as 'evil' as coal. As you drive down the Columbia River gorge, you can see thousands of wind mills. I've been through there many times when it's dead calm and none of them are turning. As you get into the Columbia Gorge scenic area, there's more wind but no windmills can be built there as they destroy the scenery.
Eventually the greenies are going to have to realize that we need power for all of those electric cars and it won't come from wind.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Libs never think anything out. They've always pushed for higher fuel mileage, hybrids, and electric cars because they want to save the earth. That's fine, I get it. Nobody wants to pollute the earth and everyone wants to conserve energy. They forgot the part about people paying road taxes on gas and diesel. Less fuel purchases turns into less tax revenue. To compensate, they have to raise fuel taxes for the evil fossil fuel burners and the electric car guys skate free. If everything goes electric, who's going to pay for road improvements and construction?

Hydrogen fuel cells is going to be the future.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This one looks good. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what happens when the electric grid that is designed to only handle so much power has a demand placed to charge everyone's electric car at the same time?

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Holy [bleep], that SNL skit was funny.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Compare any modern car with a 1950 model. They keep inventing and improving and now we have cars that will last 3 times longer, get much better mileage, and keep you a lot safer, too. They'll keep working on electrics and little by little, they'll solve the problems and drawbacks and make them workable. It takes time, money, and some very smart people but they'll get it done. Tesla has done a lot to change electrics and they deserve a lot of applause.

+1

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Given the progress in internal combustion engine efficiency and the nearly unending supply of cheap oil to run them, electric cars are way too late to the party except for dummies who think that electricity is free/non-polluting and that highly-toxic batteries disappear once you stop charging them.

THIS ^

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Compare any modern car with a 1950 model. They keep inventing and improving and now we have cars that will last 3 times longer, get much better mileage, and keep you a lot safer, too. They'll keep working on electrics and little by little, they'll solve the problems and drawbacks and make them workable. It takes time, money, and some very smart people but they'll get it done. Tesla has done a lot to change electrics and they deserve a lot of applause.

Tesla has done a lot with tax payer subsidies and cash payments.

Sam......

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
As soon as tax subsidies stop, electric cars will be deader than buggy whips.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
so we've been using gas burners for over 100 years and people evacuating are having trouble finding gas. 45 min to charge per vehicle?
Sounds like a good idea.
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Electric cars will be sold with sails!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still waiting for those flying cars they promised we'd all have by 1960.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Electric cars cost way too much.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Tesla has done a lot with tax payer subsidies and cash payments.

That's very true but I wonder how much is a kickback for Elon Musk and his Space X venture?? He's doing some pretty cool stuff, cutting edge.

My sons best friend just got his drivers license and his dad bought him a new Tesla. It kinda makes my first car (truck) look like I'm a redneck. 😉

I'd still take that old F150 Lariat with its 351 Cleveland. But if my son is riding with a new driver I suppose the Tesla is safer, even if it's $80,000 more than my truck. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, cold weather cuts the range of an electric car by a GREAT deal..... Maybe that will be engineered around at some point.... last I looked into it though, Winter use was pretty much impractical.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.