Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
How is the herd this year and what do you think about a hunt in 2018 is it still to early to tell , thanks....Sarge

BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We are going up this year. What I have been told is the bush deer made out well again. Next year will be better if this winter stays mild. This is my first trip back in 5 years. My outfitter said they were seeing good 3.5 year olds last year. He expects some good deer shot this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given a reasonable winter this year, I'll be back in 2018 as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Would love to get up there and hunt big whitetails. Someday!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Numbers were great, almost like the old days but the age class is not quite there yet.

IC B2

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So 2018 or wait a bit longer ?
Thanks......Sarge

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
if the winter is mild 2018 will be very good.

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks kingfisher .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The age structure is getting better. Assuming a good winter 2018 is looking pretty good.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Both whitetail and mule deer herds are doing well.

The mule deer population (residents only) is doing actually very well in my area, they're taking up land where there used to be whitetails only which I thought would be a problem this year, I would see a lot of mule deer where I normally hunt whities and would see barely any whitetails in the early season. It all changed once the weather turned colder and snow hit the ground, whitetails were everywhere again. The mules seem to have pushed the whitetails a little bit but that all changed as we were approaching the rut.

As for whitetails, the past three years has seen a constant incline in whitetail population. I hunted hard and I've seen a few 150" plus whitetails and quite a few in the 120-130" range. Two 160" plus deer were taken in my area, one of them being mine. As most have already said, depending on this winter, the deer population should do well for 2018. Still a lot of food on the ground and barely any snow (central to southern Sk) but we are still really early. We had some really warm weather right after WT season ended, which I am hopeful gave the big bucks a chance to rest and recoup before winter hits us.

167" 3/8
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Scruffee; 12/23/17.
IC B3

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I know its still early but how does the herd look ?
Thanks.....Sarge

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice deer Scruffee

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Scruffee
Both whitetail and mule deer herds are doing well.

The mule deer population (residents only) is doing actually very well in my area, they're taking up land where there used to be whitetails only which I thought would be a problem this year, I would see a lot of mule deer where I normally hunt whities and would see barely any whitetails in the early season. It all changed once the weather turned colder and snow hit the ground, whitetails were everywhere again. The mules seem to have pushed the whitetails a little bit but that all changed as we were approaching the rut.

As for whitetails, the past three years has seen a constant incline in whitetail population. I hunted hard and I've seen a few 150" plus whitetails and quite a few in the 120-130" range. Two 160" plus deer were taken in my area, one of them being mine. As most have already said, depending on this winter, the deer population should do well for 2018. Still a lot of food on the ground and barely any snow (central to southern Sk) but we are still really early. We had some really warm weather right after WT season ended, which I am hopeful gave the big bucks a chance to rest and recoup before winter hits us.

167" 3/8
[Linked Image]

Dream deer right there!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scruffee- Very nice deer!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful buck

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks guys!

Those of you wondering, the 2017/18 winter started very well but ended pretty bad. We had record snowfalls in late winter with low temps. Spring bear season started with well over two feet of snow where I hunt. The mules are doing well but the Whitetails seem to have gotten the crap kicked out of them in a lot of zones.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Scruffee..what zone/area are you in??

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Central Sk, I hunt mostly 29, 30 and 53 where whitetails are doing alright so far but I have seen a lot of reports from guys in other zones saying the herd hasn't gone down the past seasons. I can say that I have encountered far more winter kills this winter/spring while shed hunting, then I usually do.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Scruffee...thanks

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The late snowfall was brutal but thankfully short. Before that there was next to nothing for snow. The age structure is improving on the forest fringe but the numbers are nowhere near what they used to be and may never be again. There are a fair amount of up and comers. My place up in 53 is a bright spot in a lot of bleak, but there are pockets here and there. Coyote populations got hammered between decent prices and parvo which is helping the fawn survival.

We did a 25 KM hike in Sask Landing Park last Saturday. For those that don't know that's some rough river break country by our standards, and the sort of thing that you could use to train for mountain hunting. No vehicle use in there. We saw a grand total of 5 deer, all whitetails. Back when things were good that would have been hundreds, and mostly mulies.

Watch out for outfitters that are claiming lots of big ones; they're likely to lie about other things too.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.