Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12262364 09/10/17
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone going out for a fall bird? I've got tags in PA and OH and hope to at least use one of them. Got a flock pretty well patterned in OH.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Missouri's fall season opens October 1 and runs through the entire month with a two bird limit. I'm usually bow hunting deer but this year I think I'll make a couple tries for a fall bird. Late last fall while bow hunting I saw an albino hen with a large flock and I may go back there and see if I can locate them. This is on a very remote and particularly rugged large block of public ground in the Ozark timber. Should be fun!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Chasing fall birds is a good time.
-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan on getting out myself this Oct, but as always work or other things may come along and spoil my plans.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I usually try to get out and bust a hen for Thanksgiving meat. Though 99% of the time, when I do, its incidental to squirrel or bow hunting.

On a side note, Bocajnala, it seems we are "neighbors."

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Fall turkey hunting is my thing.. Love it.. The old timers thought spring hunting was just murder.. Now you have to hunt, not sit on your butt and call!!!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love fall turkey, don't always get one of course but usually have better luck in the fall than spring. Our spring season is about a month too late, but that's another thread.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'll be out. my farm is over run with them

FJB
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I be hunting them this weekend plus deer, aoudad, pigs, can't wait!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockchucker
i'll be out. my farm is over run with them

I'm going out sun morning down in Owensville. I will say rockchucker if your farm is that over run with them then it would only be neighborly as a fellow Missouri boy to offer my services to help you thin your herd if you ever find yourself over burdened.
Cheers!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went this morning along with my youngest son and a friend of his from wrestling. I saw nothing but my sons friend who has never turkey hunted before got a young bird. The kid was all smiles.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Went this morning along with my youngest son and a friend of his from wrestling. I saw nothing but my sons friend who has never turkey hunted before got a young bird. The kid was all smiles.

Congrats!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by J23
I usually try to get out and bust a hen for Thanksgiving meat. Though 99% of the time, when I do, its incidental to squirrel or bow hunting.

On a side note, Bocajnala, it seems we are "neighbors."

Where abouts you located?
-Jake

In God We Trust.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Wish we still had a Fall season. I saw about 2 dozen birds deer hunting Saturday

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Fall turkey hunting is my thing.. Love it.. The old timers thought spring hunting was just murder.. Now you have to hunt, not sit on your butt and call!!!

I think just the opposite. Fall hunting is easy IMO---just find a flock bust them up & shoot the last one. Plus you can use either a rifle or shotgun in Colorado. I'll take a struttin tom any day.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

You're right about the old ways of turkey hunting, and (like fall hunting) sometimes it can be as easy as going to the well for a drink of water-but if you think all there is to spring turkey hunting is sitting on your butt and calling try some eastern birds sometime. It's been said that Ray Charles could kill a Rio or a Mirriam's. I've not hunted Rio's but I have Mirriam's in South Dakota and Montana in both spring and fall. That is truly just murder laugh

Last edited by davidlea; 10/03/17.

Golden............
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Gonna try again this weekend!

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have heard how easy it is to get turkey with a rifle.. I shot about 50 with rifles and decided to try the shotgun.. Wow, talk about easy.. As Maj. Askins said 100 years ago, no sport in killing a turkey with a swath of shot, its just short of murder.. As small bore rifle is sport... I know folks who hunt gobblers in the spring with rifles.. THAT IS TOUGH... It is legal in the states they hunt, but most us shotguns because they are so deadly.. With a rifle, you must not only get close, but shoot super accurately if you want a clean kill..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have heard how easy it is to get turkey with a rifle.. I shot about 50 with rifles and decided to try the shotgun.. Wow, talk about easy.. As Maj. Askins said 100 years ago, no sport in killing a turkey with a swath of shot, its just short of murder.. As small bore rifle is sport... I know folks who hunt gobblers in the spring with rifles.. THAT IS TOUGH... It is legal in the states they hunt, but most us shotguns because they are so deadly.. With a rifle, you must not only get close, but shoot super accurately if you want a clean kill..

over the years of hunting turkeys with a shotgun (since 1982) i can't count the times i could have shot one with a rifle but couldn't get them close enough for my shotgun. i don't shoot past 40 yrds and prefer to get them in closer when possible. but at 100 yrds and a rifle i could have had my pick dozens of times over. in your post you mention "you must not only get close" what kind of rifle/caliber are you using that requires them to have to be so close? if you are head shooting only then yea i could see where that could be challenging. i assume when using a rifle that shooting in the vitals is an option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.