Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
We have a coyote marauding the neighborhood- seen by several people who know what they're looking at. Arrogant bast*rd took a dump on the back deck. My question is what predator call would be workable for a newbie to coyotes (me) to use for a (probably) one time use? If possible, I would like to try for a less than 50 yard head shot with a .22 target rifle and match ammo ( for quiet reasons- this is a Maryland suburb after all). Ideally I would unhinge him with the AR-15 but I don't wish to incur flashing blue lights in the driveway. Thoughts? Suggestions?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lip squeak or knuckle squeak would be my first choice even though I have several calls plus an electronic.

First light, or any time that he is sighted in the vicinity of where you want to shoot him. At night if it is reasonably legal and especially if there is enough town/streetlight to see and shoot him without a spotlight.

Once upon a time I put an arrow into a coyote as it stood by the back bumper of a Mercedes in a driveway off Mulholldand Drive overlooking the lights of Los Angeles. Last year we watched a bitch raise one pup in a vacant lot a few blocks from our house. Coyotes in town is normal in Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, etc. If there is a weedy lot, ravine or brushy patch near where you live, there is a good chance he spends the day there and you may be able to call him to the edge of it.

Someone may give you a bad time re using a .22. For the use you have in mind it is ideal (and from your description of the equipment, it sounds like you can use it.) I killed a good number of coyotes back in the day with .22 long rifle, before I knew it was too small a cartridge. It is not ideal for open range long shooters but for close shots placed precisely, it works well.

Best of luck.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So you have them down your way now. That sucks. They ruined my deer hunting spot. If you're far enough from an occupied dwelling other than yours, 500 ft., use a shot gun if you can get close enough. #2, #0, or #00 shot will work. If the man shows up, tell him what you did and it's perfectly legal to use a shot gun, especially on your own property. A rifle might get you in hot water in your neck of the woods if you get caught. If the neighbors complain, tell them you just got rid of their cat and little dog killer.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 09/07/17.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three words...... Shoot, Shovel, & Shutup.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The rule now is; Four words...Shutup, Shoot, Shovel, & Shutup. Anything posed on social media is public information and will be used.

Ed

P.S. CCI Subsonic 40gr 22lr HP works great.

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 09/07/17.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Listen to Ed.

Subsonics work fine, and with a suppressor work just as fine.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We had a coyote take up temporary residence in our city neighborhood. After taking care of a few feral cats, it moved on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shoot it through the lungs with a 40 Grain bullet from a sub-sonic .22 LR load and let it run off to die elsewhere, shoot and forget. I doubt that the authorities will do the forensics on a dead coyote and come looking to do a ballistics match of firearm to recovered bullet.

We have lots of suburban foxes, as the coyotes out-compete them in the country and drive them into the suburbs and city.

My former next door neighbor moved to a golf course development that protrudes out into farmland and before she moved, I told her not to let her cats run free or she'd lose them to the coyotes, 'cats, foxes, and big hawks that live in rural areas. I saw her at Wal-Mart recently and she told me that 3 of her 4 cats have "run away" since she moved. I didn't have the heart to tell her that they had probably been caught by a predator and being house cats, didn't know enough to run fast and/or climb high.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
If you have a c lose shot cci makes a sub sonic lr that is suppose to fragment on impact.. I bought a box for the local cats.. Haven't seen them for sale again or the cats either..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bulb-type squeaker for a call or the lip squeak.

Use a high velocity hollow point in your .22.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When it comes to the three S's, any combination of two does not work.

The shut up portion is a litmus test of wisdom.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
crossbow.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Okanagan

When it comes to the three S's, any combination of two does not work.

The shut up portion is a litmus test of wisdom.

If you shoot them and they run off to die, you don't have to shovel.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Silence is golden - as the old song said!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I ordered a couple different simple calls on line, awaiting their arrival.

I may spring for the Hornet, but am convinced of the usefulness of .22 LR std vel match ammo to the brain. Without exception, Federal Gold Ultra Match/Eley Tenex/RWS Match/etc. groups into 1/4"-3/8" at 50 yards making kill hits out to the edge of the bushes a piece of cake. All of the hi vel stuff I ever tried in my match guns gave accuracy laughably worse. I'll take precision over a few extra ft. lbs. of energy any day.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good on you. .22 long rifle placements that have worked IME have included a shot down the ear canal with the coyote broadside, a shot halfway between eye and ear with the coyote loping broadside, and some spine and lung shots that required a bit of tracking to find. The comment about a lung shot coyote going away to die where he is not problem is probably true but he might only make it to the middle of the neighbor's yard...

Even with the commercially made calls, in a populated area I'd go for soft sounds, at least at first and probably never go very loud. Dogs, neighbors etc. are a pain. One evening near dusk my grandson and I were calling raccoons in a wooded creek ravine behind his house with homes scattered along the top on both sides. We had a coon close when a homeowner across the creek from us started hollering, "Maud, do you hear that?" He started coming down the far slope through the brush with a big flashlight so my grandson and I sneaked away, stifling our giggles till we got to his house. I would have loved to hear the fellow's tale the next day as he described the wild sounds.

Coyotes have phenomenal ears. I lip squeaked a group of four from a full quarter mile away to within 8 feet. I spotted the coyotes on a rise beyond the next fence line which was a measured quarter mile away, crouched beside a fence post in the snow and called with what I had. In your case I'd give it at least 12 and maybe 20 minutes with a soft call for 10-15 seconds every minute or so, but be ready to shoot within 30 seconds of starting to call. Don't sweat it if nothing shows, but keep at it once or twice a day and from different locations if practical. You know your area and how ever you do it will be right if you kill a coyote. It is different from calling into a big canyon or across a wide sage basin.

I like calls that will fade down to a whimper or a moan and will start sound that way without requiring a big push of air and a loud blast to start. Muffle the sound into your shoulder if needed, and that's a good variation on sound anyway. There are good callers who would do it differently and give you different suggestions. A lot of different tactics will work.

Interesting project!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[/quote]

If you shoot them and they run off to die, you don't have to shovel.[/quote]

260Remguy,

We live just a couple miles north of you we see a fair number of coyotes running the creek in our backyard and if not the same animals at least part of the same population. One of the neighbors lost a Pomeranian a couple of weeks ago and last week somebody over by 204th lost a puppy in the backyard. The owner was standing there watching the pup and a 'yote jumped the fence, grabbed the pup and ran off with it. It may be time for folks to do a little SSS or SS and let die.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A conibear type beaver trap will work on a dog this tame. Stake it down securely in a place where a kid won't fool with it. Turn the trigger to the ground instead of up. Tie a small piece of red raw meat to the base of the trigger. He will be DRT the next morning.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would worry with a trap you don't kill a kid or someone's pet who just got out at the wrong time.. SSS

Molon Labe
G
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I would worry with a trap you don't kill a kid or someone's pet who just got out at the wrong time.. SSS

I agree with you on this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
296 members (1minute, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 45 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.