Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wrapids Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Anyone know for sure what brand primers Nosler uses in their factory ammo? I bought several a boxes of Nosler 7-08, of different lot numbers, and more than half wouldn't fire, the firing pin dents look shallow. It could be that I need a stronger firing pin spring, but my handloads with Federal primers have never mis-fired. I suspect Nosler uses a quite hard primer.

HR IC

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I suspect they use different primers in different loads.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you contact Nosler please keep us posted on their response. Factory ammo should go bang in all firearms.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Federal primers are more sensitive but I'd guess that is a rifle or headspace related issue.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Federal primers are more sensitive but I'd guess that is a rifle or headspace related issue.

Sounds like Nosler has some over sized brass, seen this happen before with there loaded ammo. Lite primer strikes is the key.

IC B2

W
Wrapids Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Been a while since I contacted Nosler on this, my delayed post is due to noticing a box of mis-fired Nosler ammo sitting on my bench. I didn't specifically ask what type primers they use, but I certainly expect more from a Nosler product. I would think Nosler might take heed and consider using softer primers though.

As for headspace, new unfired Winchester brass primed with Federal primers always works for me.

Last edited by Wrapids; 09/10/17.
W
Wrapids Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by gemby58

Sounds like Nosler has some over sized brass, seen this happen before with there loaded ammo. Lite primer strikes is the key.

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't oversize brass hold the cartridge farther out in the chamber and make for heavier hits?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Wrapids

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't oversize brass hold the cartridge farther out in the chamber and make for heavier hits?

When I stated oversize I was meaning pushing the shoulder farther back than specs. Causing excessive headspace and causing lite firing pin strike as the round isent head against the bolt face. Undersized would leave for stiff bolt closing as the shoulder is being crushed fit to the chamber. Would rather have this than the other. Oversize is pushing should farther back out of specs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Seems I am missing something. I was under the impression that factory brass was always on the minimum spec for sizing so that it would fit 99% of the rifles chambered for it.

Swifty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Seems I am missing something. I was under the impression that factory brass was always on the minimum spec for sizing so that it would fit 99% of the rifles chambered for it.

Your right but Nosler has brought it to a new level with there loaded ammo, minimum specs are one thing but shoulders set back farther than minimum spec causes the problem, I have measured some that had lite primer strikes a few years ago from a customer and the shoulders were set back a lot compared to winchester, remington and caused a headspaces problem. I bet if the op was to measure he would find the problem. That's why I don't buy or sell Nosler ammo. The customer that had that problem with Nosler ammo went back to other manufacturers ammo and never had a misfire or lite primer strike again.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your bolt body and FP assembly?

I know a dirty bolt will cause a fail-to-fire when a bull walks by at 40 yds...........one of the more important firearm maintenance lessons I learned 45 years ago..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Wrapids Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your bolt body and FP assembly?

I know a dirty bolt will cause a fail-to-fire when a bull walks by at 40 yds...........one of the more important firearm maintenance lessons I learned 45 years ago..........

Casey

Been a while since I cleaned bolt and pin, since it works fine with my handloads.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Found my notes on this subject from my customers rifle few years back what I came up with it was a lot shorter than I expected, he sent the box of ammo back to Nosler asking for an explanation all he got in return was a free box of shells, the shoulders on his box and the shoulders were really pushed back he had 11 out of 20 shells that way.

W
Wrapids Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Found my notes on this subject from my customers rifle few years back what I came up with it was a lot shorter than I expected, he sent the box of ammo back to Nosler asking for an explanation all he got in return was a free box of shells, the shoulders on his box and the shoulders were really pushed back he had 11 out of 20 shells that way.

I didn't do any measuring, just eyeballed the rounds, but that's pretty consistent with my percent not firing. I would think Nosler would be concerned for customer relations and adjust their shoulders. Bad publicity can go a long way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Casey

Been a while since I cleaned bolt and pin, since it works fine with my handloads.

Mine worked fine with Remington factory ammo, but didn't work with Federal factory ammo.........

Seriously, pull the FP assembly and check/clean it.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Casey

Mine worked fine with Remington factory ammo, but didn't work with Federal factory ammo.........

Seriously, pull the FP assembly and check/clean it.

Casey

You know how often I clean my bolt on my silhouette rifle zero. It's on its 4th barrel of 2500+ rounds each out of each barrel. Never had a misfire, lite primer strike, never. Or any other of my centerfield matter of fact. Only bolts I clean are on my rimfires.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It doesn't cost anything to clean your bolt and if nothing else you get a smoother bolt lift. That's a freeby any way you look at it.

Federal might be the easiest primers around to fire. A rifle can work perfectly with them and still be cantankerous with others.

I'd say that you are on the right track with a new striker spring. They don't cost any more than a couple Nosler cartridges. Cheap diagnosing.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
831 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 3,256 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.