-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up this little pump Winchester at a gun show years back because I grew up with a M62A pump with the exposed hammer and always wanted the enclosed hammer M61 with the side ejection. This one had a Williams peep on it when I bought it, so from a collectors standpoint it already has a couple of extra holes in the receiver. It does not have the 3/8" scope base grooves like the later versions. The 61 really carries well for just rambling around and comes up well enough with the peep sight, but a scope on it would make sighting easier for my older eyes. There is quite a bit of drop in the comb of the stock on this model, so I'm not sure that they made it intended for scope use. I'd hate to cobble it up, but done well it might be even more useful. What's the verdict? To drill or leave well enough alone?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Since it already has extra holes, the damage has been done. It wouldn't bother me to add a couple extra.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If the holes are on the side and parallel to the bore then there is a good chance that it was drilled for the older Weaver side-mount, that was a very common way of mounting scopes on those older rifles. If it drilled for one of those it may take a bit of searching to find one of the mounts but they are out there, usually very cheap because when dovetails on rifles became available there was not much of a demand for them anymore.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Probably D&T for a Weaver "N" mount. The model to fit a round barrel 61 is an N1 (low) or N3 (high). They were made for 3/4" and 7/8" tube scopes. You can find them on Ebay. In a 3/4" the Weaver J series are a good slim scope. In 7/8" The Lyman or Leupold Alaskans are the best although, there are also less expensive Weavers available. All can be found on Ebay.

I have an old 74 Gallery in 22 short that was D&T. I put an N1 and Weaver D4 on it. Will put 10 in a quarter at 50 yards.

You have a wonderful shooter !

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
It sounds to me that this rifle has a Williams receiver sight installed. The hole spacing for that sight is no where close to a Weaver "N" mount hole spacing. I'd tap it for a top mount that would accept 1 inch rings and mount a small 1 inch scope like the small 1 to 3 Weaver veritable. Far superior to an old 3/4 or 7/8 inch scope. These are very nice rifles and deserve a good scope.

Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Remington 581 drilled and tapped for a rail mount. Worked out really well and glad I did it. Never plan on selling it so made it more user friendly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP

You could have the receiver cut for dove tails like the later ones had.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.